Warm Up The "cold" Engine In The Morning?

hey guys! wanted to find out whether it is necessary to warm up the engine on the IS by letting the engine run for like 5 minutes in the morning before driving off? I remember my dad used to say to always warm up the engine back in the days in order to protect the engine ... not really sure whether that still holds true for cars like the IS these days since they have come a long way since then! any input would be appreciated!

"warming up" a modern engine is about the worst possible thing you can do to it.

Once the engine has oil pressure, which takes about 5 seconds, it's best to just drive it gently for a bit. Idling is bad m'kay?

dude are you serious? come on i usually turn the car on...wait a minute or so to find a song on my ipod i like...then head off and i haven't had a single engine problem.

and to the original post - just drive gently when its cold. works for me.

"warming up" a modern engine is about the worst possible thing you can do to it.

Once the engine has oil pressure, which takes about 5 seconds, it's best to just drive it gently for a bit. Idling is bad m'kay?

dude are you serious? come on i usually turn the car on...wait a minute or so to find a song on my ipod i like...then head off and i haven't had a single engine problem.

Absolutely serious. There's a long long thread over on Clublexus explaining why 'warming up' is horrible for the car if you want a lot more folks singing the same song. Enough time to find a song is a far cry from waiting 5+ minutes for the temp needle to move though, which is what most folks mean by 'warming up' the car.

Absolutely serious. There's a long long thread over on Clublexus explaining why 'warming up' is horrible for the car if you want a lot more folks singing the same song. Enough time to find a song is a far cry from waiting 5+ minutes for the temp needle to move though, which is what most folks mean by 'warming up' the car.

I still think the thread over on CL is a joke and digging way too deep into the subject. As long as you maintain your vehcile and change you oil at regular intervals - warm-ups are just a personal preference or nessity depending on your location. Parade duty as it's know is a whole other subject or concern.

It is best to take it easy for the first 10 minutes or so of driving until the coolant gets up to temperature. If you start the car from cold and get right on the exressway, the transmission will stay in 5th gear and not shift into 6th until the coolant gets to temperature. It's part of the design of the car but I still take it easy until it can go into 6th and drop the RPM's.

I still think the thread over on CL is a joke and digging way too deep into the subject. As long as you maintain your vehcile and change you oil at regular intervals - warm-ups are just a personal preference or nessity depending on your location. Parade duty as it's know is a whole other subject or concern.

It is best to take it easy for the first 10 minutes or so of driving until the coolant gets up to temperature. If you start the car from cold and get right on the exressway, the transmission will stay in 5th gear and not shift into 6th until the coolant gets to temperature. It's part of the design of the car but I still take it easy until it can go into 6th and drop the RPM's.

I CONCOR