A Bit Of A Problem W/ My 1997 Es300

akiraxtc

Hi guys (and girls),

i had a bit of a problem with my ES300. Somehow my A/C stinks, not sure how to describe it but it just stinks. It only smells about the first 2-3 mins i run the car, after that the smell is gone completely. Even when the car is still warm enough (i.e turn the engine off for 10 mins or so) when i start it again the smell came back for the next 2-3 mins and it's gone. Have anyone ever experience this before or know anything i can do about it?

Also, i noticed that my left front wheel area has a *creaking*, not really creaking but more like a *clunk* if i turn my wheel mostly to the left. Is this something serious? :blink:

And my last question is: I have about 85k miles on my car, is it time to change the shocks and struts? How much money are we talking about if i do need one?

Thanks y'all! :)

Oh man. Do you get the same noise when you turn it all the way to the right? Are you moving at the time you hear the noise? If so, you might have bad CV joints. Park the car and turn your wheels all the way to one side, then look in the wheel well at the back of the rim. There will be a small rubber joint (the CV boot) there (where the rim meets the hub). If the rubber joint is torn or is leaking grease, you have a problem. Also, look for grease on the inside of the rim (a thick black grease). That's another tell-tell sign. I'm sure someone more knowlegable will chime in about your AC system, because I have no idea what might be causing that. HTH. :cheers:

Good gosh! Is it expensive to replace those? I'm going to check it once i get home. Wubbman, i did get the noise either left or right turn but it can only be heard on low speeds like when backing out of parking lot.

I gotta find a reputable indep. tech in Atlanta area first but it looks like the dealer review system is down.

Yeah man, they're fairly expensive. :( Do what I said and take a look at the boot though. You should be able to find it with no probs. If there's nothing wrong with the boots on either side then I guess it could be someone else. Wait till sk or SW read this. They can provide more info. HTH. :cheers:

why is this such an expensive procedure?

on my honda accord, i got it replaced for 60 bucks .

on camry (es300) it should be around that much.. of course, i have never gotten one done on lexus.

if you want a good quality shop that will beat anyone's price in town..look for

"campbell tires" off highway 9

they do awesome work at very low price.

Thanks for the vote of confidence wub ,either that or i always have an opinion .lmao ;) :o :lol:

The stink is mold buy the can of bacteria killer and spray it on the passenger side cowl to remove the bacteria ,it is best wehn it is hot outside and done atleast 3 tiems in a week to make sure you get it all.

The cv makes a constant clicking sound when the wheel is turned all the way in one diection and driven slowly. If it is more of a single noise or clunk then it might be a ball joint popping out from play but not the cv.

If you have a cv replaced for $60 then 100% it is not a proper repair. It is done using a speed boot .Basically a split boot is put in place over the inner or outer cv and then a adhesive bonding agent is added to make the unit one whole thing to keep the grease in. Then clamps are put on the ends .If the repair takes less than and hour it is a split bootTo replace a boot properly like i did 2 months ago on my ES i had to remove the wheel ,disconnect the end links on the sway bar, remove a splash sheild,brake caliper and rotor, disconnect the tie rod ,undo the axle boltand cotter, unscrew one main bolt,remove a c clip. then slide the shaft out.

Then to remove the boots and replace you need to undo 6 bolts on the inner cv,undo 2 c clips,clean grease undo clamps on both ends of axle,slide off joint then boot,then outer boot .

Then fill with new grease and reverse this whole procedure.

I would gladly pay someone $60 bucks to do mine but i would never use a split boot.

I didn;t buy a lexus to fit hyundai standard of quality repairs on it. Never mind an axles is int eth huindreds of dollar range to replace and only save the last 20 minutes of boot replacement.

Hope this makes it a bit easier to understand the reason why it costs so much.

I also have the "clunking" noise from the front of the car, as I have mentioned before.

If the CV is the problem, will it make a consistant noise when you are turning, because mine just clunks when I go over bumps or potholes.

Some of you have told me before that it is just characterstic of some 97-99 Toyotas and Lexuses. It does not bother me a whole lot, but it would be nice to get rid of the noise. It isn't very loud, but it seems like it has something to do with the suspension. Is this possible?

Someone mentioned something about the brushings on the tops of the front struts. If I replaced these, would the noise go away? It seems like a lot of people have this problem. Does anyone know how much it would cost to fix this, if it was the brushings on the tops of the front struts?

Thanks!

Wow thanks for the replies.

I always hear some creak when turning at slow speed (mostly sharp turns) and clunking sometimes when i hit bumps. So i guess i can go to toyota and ask them what's going on. At least from your posts it can be either: Worn shocks, CV Joint, or the bushings so i won't be ripped off.

I can't believe it would be normal on 97-99 toyotas/lexus, i mean my roommate has a 97 camry and his car does not do that.

i have 95 es300 and it doesn't do it.

problems with cars have just too many variable as what could cause it over time..2004-1997 (50% chance it was produced 1996) ...you are looking at 7 year old car. many stuff can happen in 7 years.

if i were you, i would go to a suspension place (tires plus or pepboys..even better a shop you trust).

and ask them if anything's wrong. shops will look over it for a few dollars (19.99) or even most likely..a free check up)

i get those coupons in the mail all the time.. free 20 point check with oil changer or what not