I Did It...

ProEng

About 9 months ago I started searching for a car. I do a lot of driving, and my current vehicle (3/4 ton Silverado HD) doesn't get very good gas mileage. I love my truck, and I'm NOT getting rid of it, but I need a daily driver. My search criteria was as follows:

-Had to be reliable. Lots of research through Consumer Reports, and also through Edmunds.com and any other place that gave owner reviews.

-Had to be comfortable. I have a bad back, and when I drive 2+ hours it starts to hurt.

-Had to be safe.

-Had to have 3 shoulder belts in the rear seat. (I have three sons).

-Gas mileage had to be at least in the mid-twenties. Even though this isn't great, it would still be twice as good as my truck.

After much research, I narrowed it down to an Acura RL, Lexus LS400, Toyota Avalon, and Volvo S60.

I finally found and bought a 97 LS400 at Superior Lexus in Kansas City (north location). It has 88,000 Miles on it, and is the Coach Edition. It was driven previously by a retired doctor who traded in on a new Lexus. I ended up paying $11,450, and had them do the timing belt/water pump maintenance.

It really looks and drives like a new car. Seats are perfect, no scratches or dings, everything works. I have never owned a Lexus before, and all I can say is "WOW!" If it ran any better the day it was built, I would be surprised. No one can believe that this car is 11 years old.

Furthermore, I would like to give a collective thanks to this board. I read MANY threads here, and one of the reasons that I felt confident purchasing an older Lexus was from the comments that the members here have made about consistent reliability in the cars, no matter how many miles are on them.

I realize that $11K sounds high for a decade-plus old car, but I am confident that I will easily get my money's worth out of it. My back sure thinks so after driving 5 hours yesterday. I went to my in-laws, and my father in law was very impressed with it. He said that he wouldn't have thought twice about it if I said that it was a 2007 instead of a 97 (he's not up on the body styles of the Lexus line).

Again, thanks to this board for helping me make my decision.

You cant go wrong owning a Lexus......i have a '92 LS400 with 245K on it.....runs great......hoping for 300k mark....

Congrats on your purchase.......

Keep reading this forum.......alot of useful information that will save you $$$$$'s dollars in the future if you are a DIY'er....

We love to keep the $$$$'s out of the dealer's pockets....

You cant go wrong owning a Lexus......i have a '92 LS400 with 245K on it.....runs great......hoping for 300k mark....

Congrats on your purchase.......

Keep reading this forum.......alot of useful information that will save you $$$$$'s dollars in the future if you are a DIY'er....

We love to keep the $$$$'s out of the dealer's pockets....

Blake, you drive so much! I thought my 25k a year was a ton, but i think you leave me in the dust. Everytime i see you post your mileage goes up by 5k.

Back to main post.... congrats man! you'll love your lex. I wish i had the money for a newer mint LS.