Future Cabin Refinements?

appleton

I also wish the ES still had a 4 spoke steering wheel.

More woodgrain and a more natural looking grain for the dash material are tops on my list. And bring back triple stitched leather.

I totally agree on the 4 spoke steering wheel Steve! B) I miss mine from my 01 ES.

From taking quite a bit of seat time in a few ES 350's at my local dealer......I wish they would add a little more storage whether it be an extra cubby or 2 or another smart idea the engineers seem to come up with from time to time. B)

:cheers:

Yes, definitely, a little more storage/stowage room!

What great suggestions! The pursuit of perfection should start here!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some other neat features being rolled out with other luxury lines include a heads up display (cast onto the windshield) and infared (night) vision displayed through the NAV unit.

Actually the reason HUD setups aren't on a lot of cars is they exctually reduce the attention drivers give to the road in testing. People tend to focus their eyesight on the HUD and not on the roadway out in front of the car which dramatically increases reaction time.

As for the wood, replacing the wood won't be an option. I don't know why they haven't offered different woodgrains with different interior colors, they did on the previous ES.

Funny you mention the HUD. Back in the early 90's when I was with GM in Detroit they were putting HUDs on some cars. I really liked it, but I guess it didn't catch on then. That was over 15 years ago! Also, back then they had experimented with digital gauges and people did not like them because analog gives you a better sense of acceleration, etc. That's why with any digital read out for MPH, you also see an analog like display. Infrared display, now that would be cool!

I had a HUD in my 2001 Pontiac Bonneville.....loved it!!! I am not sure but it still is available on some GM cars (cant remember if it was the Buick or Cadillac I looked at that had the HUD as an option).

LOL on the Microsoft Sync......not only will the windows close (or lock up) and the car will crash....the screen will go to the blue screen of death or have an never ending hour glass!!!

Funny you mention the HUD. Back in the early 90's when I was with GM in Detroit they were putting HUDs on some cars. I really liked it, but I guess it didn't catch on then. That was over 15 years ago! Also, back then they had experimented with digital gauges and people did not like them because analog gives you a better sense of acceleration, etc. That's why with any digital read out for MPH, you also see an analog like display. Infrared display, now that would be cool!

I had a HUD in my 2001 Pontiac Bonneville.....loved it!!! I am not sure but it still is available on some GM cars (cant remember if it was the Buick or Cadillac I looked at that had the HUD as an option).

LOL on the Microsoft Sync......not only will the windows close (or lock up) and the car will crash....the screen will go to the blue screen of death or have an never ending hour glass!!!

JGT -

MS Sync is MS's entry into the automobile market for automated travel. I envision being able to get into my vehicle and instructing the vehicle to take me to......the car essentially becomes a chaueffer, when needed, and will take me to my final destination without my interferring - scary, but also very exciting! The Jetson's era have started :)

JGT -

MS Sync is MS's entry into the automobile market for automated travel. I envision being able to get into my vehicle and instructing the vehicle to take me to......the car essentially becomes a chaueffer, when needed, and will take me to my final destination without my interferring - scary, but also very exciting! The Jetson's era have started :)

Just imagine if there is road construction or the maps are out of date, where will your MS Chauffeur take you? :lol: Exciting indeed, but so much to work out!!!

On the blue screen of death, supposedly that doesn't happen anymore with XP and beyond. Supposedly!!!

Then Apple will create iNav, it will look great and much groovier, but it will only connect to iTunes and use programs that are only in Apple format... Every time you want to go to a new place you have to go to iTunes and pay $9.99 to get the iNav to get you there!

Gee, didn't know this was a Microsoft and Apple bashing forum!!! ha ha! Yeah Baddboi, and we all will be working at Spacely Sprockets!!! haha! I am just waiting for the Star Trek era....I can't wait for a transporter. Of course, you don't want to be an "extra" that gets transported to another planet....they always died!!! haha!

Gee, didn't know this was a Microsoft and Apple bashing forum!!! ha ha! Yeah Baddboi, and we all will be working at Spacely Sprockets!!! haha! I am just waiting for the Star Trek era....I can't wait for a transporter. Of course, you don't want to be an "extra" that gets transported to another planet....they always died!!! haha!

Let's not get to what the open source Linux guys will be doing, dancing around saying they are the MS killers! Of course, only computer geeks will have their Nav with the Linux version and wires hanging out all over the place always changing this and that! This from a computer geek although I do not use Linux, that much anyway!

Do you think that if we ride the transporters in our Lexus that we will have a smoother ride? And what about the creeks, will they still be there? We definitely do not want transmission problems, we'll never make it to the other side. It better be road tested thoroughly! :lol:

Back to on-topic. What do you guys think of the windshield wiper controls? Can you see them? To me they are blocked by the steering wheel. I know, just set it to automatic and not worry about it, but it seems that every time I take it to the dealer they turn them off. That and the light controls, they turn them off. Then you can't see them while you're driving to turn them back on. Same with the lights, my wife had to call me to ask me how to turn the lights on, she never had to do it before!

Back to on-topic. What do you guys think of the windshield wiper controls? Can you see them? To me they are blocked by the steering wheel. I know, just set it to automatic and not worry about it, but it seems that every time I take it to the dealer they turn them off. That and the light controls, they turn them off. Then you can't see them while you're driving to turn them back on. Same with the lights, my wife had to call me to ask me how to turn the lights on, she never had to do it before!

AZ -

Agreed! The dealership messes with the controls on everything :( They need to program that stuff into the "seat controls" so that it auto resets to your preferences when you select the driver settings :)

Microsoft's Sync works really well btw

As for the dealer, they ALWAYS mess with all the settings and I never have understood why. Its almost like when you have a maid service clean your house and they move stuff around to make it look like they've done stuff where they havent lol

Back to on-topic. What do you guys think of the windshield wiper controls? Can you see them? To me they are blocked by the steering wheel.

AZ,

I agree with you that the wiper controls are bocked from view although it hasn't bothered me a great deal. What is a bigger bother is the delayed 'final wipe' that is supposed to catch the drips after you've sprayed your windshield. More than 50% of the time, that last wipe of the blade leaves smears and streaks behind. Better to leave the drips.

As for the dealer, they ALWAYS mess with all the settings and I never have understood why. Its almost like when you have a maid service clean your house and they move stuff around to make it look like they've done stuff where they havent lol

I was only joking about the MS Sync, it's fun to pick on the KOS (King of Software)! Being a computer geek and working in that industry, it has been done since the mid 90's...

Baddboi, about the memory settings with the windshield wipers, lights and even the setting to have your mirros tilt when in reverse, what a great suggestion!

And Appleton, the last wipe! It's kind of like going to the bathroom, no matter how much you shake it, the last drop ends up, well you know where...

post-53469-1207170632_thumb.jpg

How about this on the steering wheel: A is for the jacks to lift the car for repair, but can be used to jump when the car is moving. B is for belts on the tires, this way you get great traction and avoid punctures. C is for the cutters, you never know when you are driving in a forest and need to cut down trees in front of you at high speed. D is for the deflector shield covering the cockpit. And so on... Wouldn't that be ideal?

post-53469-1207170912_thumb.jpg

Ok.........we all need to get a life!!!! LOL! :wacko: And, you know what.......I actually like that last swish of the windshield wipers. :blushing: My old Bonneville didn't do it and always left risidual water that I had to do it anyway....the Lexus does it for me. Oh well, to each his own! :-) [did I put enough emoticons in this darn post?]

I was only joking about the MS Sync, it's fun to pick on the KOS (King of Software)! Being a computer geek and working in that industry, it has been done since the mid 90's...

Baddboi, about the memory settings with the windshield wipers, lights and even the setting to have your mirros tilt when in reverse, what a great suggestion!

And Appleton, the last wipe! It's kind of like going to the bathroom, no matter how much you shake it, the last drop ends up, well you know where...

LOL... too funny AZ.

This thread is starting to look like the "above average age" owners post.

u better watch it JGT---another thread had people biting at each other on the Lexus nav system... particulaly on the hack overide being stopped and not letting you access certain functions while driving.

So AN old analog clock is now Classy, wait a few years and the digital readout will be the in thing :lol:

I am not bothered by this I will look more closely at the clock later, and by the way, my volume works real well on the wheel, no lag there.

cheers

Agree with a classy analog clock (gee, even a more modern LED clock would be ok). The voice recognition is something that could be enhanced. Gee, even the Ford Focus Sync system seems to work better than ours. My big issue is that it should have a way to operate the nav while driving. In Hertz rent a cars, if you try to operate it while driving, it says "do you want the passenger to use this" and if you say yes, it enables it. Either that or firm up the voice recognition. Has anyone figured out how to have your nav system (via voice) to search for an POI like a golf course (I don't mean show the POIs). I mean trying to get a list of golf courses, scrolling down the list, and then setting one as your destination (while driving). I don't think that is available and I wish it was.....oh well, I hope Lexus is reading this forum for the 2010 ES!!!! Wonder if we will get a royalty!!! ha ha

I love the woodgrain (IMO) I was leanign towards either an infiniti M-35/45 or Volvo s-8..but HATED the woodgrain in the infiniti.

to each ttheir own I guess..

I also wish the ES still had a 4 spoke steering wheel.

More woodgrain and a more natural looking grain for the dash material are tops on my list. And bring back triple stitched leather.

Hey SW, I agree on your suggestions!!! That digital clock though....argh (I think they made the lights on the buttons around the nav system to match that awful green old digital clock). Now, the Cadillac CTS has digital readouts for the temperature (driver and passenger)...they were a little more modern in my opinion than that ugly digital clock in our ES. But, hey, I would rather have the resale value, quiet and comfort of my ES and the bluetooth (that the CTS did not have).

u better watch it JGT---another thread had people biting at each other on the Lexus nav system... particulaly on the hack overide being stopped and not letting you access certain functions while driving.

So AN old analog clock is now Classy, wait a few years and the digital readout will be the in thing :lol:

I am not bothered by this I will look more closely at the clock later, and by the way, my volume works real well on the wheel, no lag there.

cheers

Agree with a classy analog clock (gee, even a more modern LED clock would be ok). The voice recognition is something that could be enhanced. Gee, even the Ford Focus Sync system seems to work better than ours. My big issue is that it should have a way to operate the nav while driving. In Hertz rent a cars, if you try to operate it while driving, it says "do you want the passenger to use this" and if you say yes, it enables it. Either that or firm up the voice recognition. Has anyone figured out how to have your nav system (via voice) to search for an POI like a golf course (I don't mean show the POIs). I mean trying to get a list of golf courses, scrolling down the list, and then setting one as your destination (while driving). I don't think that is available and I wish it was.....oh well, I hope Lexus is reading this forum for the 2010 ES!!!! Wonder if we will get a royalty!!! ha ha

Yeah rtj, and so will 8 track tapes!!!! :P ha ha!

• 3 weeks later...
I am truly enjoying my first Lexus so I hope the thread of this topic stays constructive. I don’t want to come across sounding negative. There are a few small things that I miss versus my previous car as well as a few changes that I wish Lexus would consider. These are just small issues in the scheme of things:
  • Seat heating/cooling controls are hard to see without leaning forward.
  • The maximum retained power interval could be longer. (windows won’t open by the time you get a fill up and are ready to pay)
  • The Levinson system sounds amazing. Wish the display would scroll the mp3 track text so that all of the file name could be seen.
  • It would be nice if the volume would “slide” or “fade” up to the current loudness setting when the system is powered on (not sure if I’m explaining that well)
  • The volume button on the steering wheel is too slow at changing loudness when pressed (I said these were tiny issues, but I’m aware of this every time)
  • Ash tray and cassette deck? Seems wrong in a 2008 vehicle.
  • Oh, and finally there are the missing hooks… but that is being dealt with already in another thread (-:

With all of that said, I really do like my ES 350. The list of things I like about it would be twenty times longer than the list above. I was just curious to know if anyone else felt the same way about any of these items?

I am truly enjoying my first Lexus so I hope the thread of this topic stays constructive. I don’t want to come across sounding negative. There are a few small things that I miss versus my previous car as well as a few changes that I wish Lexus would consider. These are just small issues in the scheme of things:
  • Seat heating/cooling controls are hard to see without leaning forward.
  • The maximum retained power interval could be longer. (windows won’t open by the time you get a fill up and are ready to pay)
  • The Levinson system sounds amazing. Wish the display would scroll the mp3 track text so that all of the file name could be seen.
  • It would be nice if the volume would “slide” or “fade” up to the current loudness setting when the system is powered on (not sure if I’m explaining that well)
  • The volume button on the steering wheel is too slow at changing loudness when pressed (I said these were tiny issues, but I’m aware of this every time)
  • Ash tray and cassette deck? Seems wrong in a 2008 vehicle.
  • Oh, and finally there are the missing hooks… but that is being dealt with already in another thread (-:

With all of that said, I really do like my ES 350. The list of things I like about it would be twenty times longer than the list above. I was just curious to know if anyone else felt the same way about any of these items?

I was pleased that my ES350 had a tape deck. I have a large collection of cassettes that I collected years ago, some with music complilations that cannot be duplicated. By the way! I still have my 8-track player.

I was pleased that my ES350 had a tape deck. I have a large collection of cassettes that I collected years ago, some with music complilations that cannot be duplicated. By the way! I still have my 8-track player.

YIKES!!!!! It's time to upgrade, you are truly missing out on today's sound quality :)

YIKES!!!!! It's time to upgrade, you are truly missing out on today's sound quality :)

I tend to agree, but to each his/her own. I would have guessed there were very few people still using the cassette deck in the ES 350. 8-tracks are on another level. Hey, if the Lexus ride was just a little smoother, maybe we could spin some of those 'natural sounding' LP vinyl discs somewhere on the dash.

I also have a few cassete tapes that I can't get in CD. Its nice to have the tape deck. Anyways who'se it hurting if its there even if you never use it?

I also have a few cassete tapes that I can't get in CD. Its nice to have the tape deck. Anyways who'se it hurting if its there even if you never use it?

For me, the space could have been used for something else. It's a personal thing I suppose. I was surprised to see it, but clearly there are a few people who get some use out of the tape deck in 2008. I suspect though, very few.

For me, the space could have been used for something else. It's a personal thing I suppose. I was surprised to see it, but clearly there are a few people who get some use out of the tape deck in 2008. I suspect though, very few.

I guess I'm one of the "very few", mainly because it's easier to just put in the cassette, rather than converting everything to a CDr.