Mercedes Owner Considering Buying A Lexus

healinginfluence

I now own a 2001 MB E320 4Matic and am in the market for a new car. Last night I saw a video of a Lexus IS factory in Japan and was mighty impressed. I am considering buying a Lexus ES350 or a GS350AWD. I have a few questions. I've heard that there have been quality problems with the GS more than other Lexus models. Is this so? Do some models have better quality than other models in the Lexus line?

Are there any other former MB E-class owners? What model did you get and are you happy with it?

Thanks for any feedback.

If you want an AWD go with the IS. If you want AWD with some more power, get the GS.

You can generally never go wrong buying a Lexus.

What years of Lexus were you considering purchasing??

I own a 97 LS400 with 139k miles and no problems. It's all about preventative maintinence. Lexus' will run practically forever if maintained properly.

I had an 03 S600 for a while, and it couldn't compete with my wife's Ls430, in my opinion. The quality, materials and reliability of the Lexus is what won me over.

I've owned Lexus' since the first Ls400 came out in 89, and have been very satisfied. As previously stated, you can't go wrong with a Lexus.

If you want an AWD go with the IS. If you want AWD with some more power, get the GS.

What years of Lexus were you considering purchasing??

Thanks for your response. I am considering a new Lexus. The IS is nice but is smaller than I am used to, But maybe I could adjust. I do like AWD.

Agreed that the IS is a tad on the small side for me as well.....I was glad to get back in my ES. As for reliability....what others above have mentioned. Drive a few models to see what your most comfortable with. Any questions after driving different models....let us know. B)

:cheers:

Agreed that the IS is a tad on the small side for me as well.....I was glad to get back in my ES. As for reliability....what others above have mentioned. Drive a few models to see what your most comfortable with. Any questions after driving different models....let us know. B)

Are some models more reliable than others? Is there a sense here?

Most all Lexus cars are very reliable, if well maintained. Trouble is some people think they don't need to maintain them and get upset when things break. That is true of all vehicles though. So you will sometimes hear about folks who have problems.

A family member of mine owned Mercedes, Jaguar, and BMW cars until he bought an LS in 1990. Since then he has only bought Lexus products. Seeing how much he likes the ones he has owned, I bought one. My overall experience was just as good and is enough to make me a Lexus owner for life.

I believe 1990LS400 was a Mercedes owner until he started buying Lexus LS cars. He will probably respond to this thread soon.

As a general rule of mine....I try not to buy the first year issue of a complete redesign. There are usually some 'teething' problems that are usually worked out after the first year. Just a personal opinion. B)

We had a 300E which went over 100K miles. After that, lots & lots of 'tiny' things ... cruise control ... seat adj controls ... wiper motors (lots of electrical things) then the biggest ... rubber body mounts not the parts but the install labor ... very costly repair items. Fortunately my father in law had a wholesale MB license, or we'd have gone to the poor farm. The Lexus 'tiny' things haven't happened, so we're happy.