"clunk In The Trunk"

JagLady

I have a "clunk in the trunk" on my 2007 ES since I purchased it. It occurs when I take off from a stop or decelerating quickly. It is very noticeable when the gas tank is full down to 1/2 full. It is NOT a sloshing noise but a definite clunk, like a big box fell over in the trunk. The dealership says that it's gas sloshing. It doesn't make sense to me that if that's what it is, why is the noise when the tank is full rather than when the tank is getting down in fuel? The Lexus factory engineering dept. says it's a normal variant...some cars do it, some don't. I am not content with their answer as it really sounds like the tank is shifting or bumping or? It's a deep thump, not a liquid slosh. Any ideas???

I have a "clunk in the trunk" on my 2007 ES since I purchased it. It occurs when I take off from a stop or decelerating quickly. It is very noticeable when the gas tank is full down to 1/2 full. It is NOT a sloshing noise but a definite clunk, like a big box fell over in the trunk. The dealership says that it's gas sloshing. It doesn't make sense to me that if that's what it is, why is the noise when the tank is full rather than when the tank is getting down in fuel? The Lexus factory engineering dept. says it's a normal variant...some cars do it, some don't. I am not content with their answer as it really sounds like the tank is shifting or bumping or? It's a deep thump, not a liquid slosh. Any ideas???

I would assume the delearship has already checked to ensure the actual gas tank is secure, but maybe they have not.

They all do it. The theory is the float in the gas tank bangs the tank, until you use some fuel.

Not to be argumentative, but no, they don't all do it. I've had several loaners from the dealership that didn't do it, and my friend's new Es doesn't do it. It really sounds like the tank shifts.

I will be interested to hear what they have to say! I have a call in to the Master Technician at the Lexus dealership where I have been taking mine to see exactly what the factory has told him. I will post if it's anything other than "it's normal, some do it and some don't."