2006 Gs 430

Hello!

I posted in another section regarding possibly purchasing a new RX350. I went to a dealership (finally) to have a look.

Well they had a 2006 GS 430 in the showroom that they're selling (14,000 KMs) and it is one sexy car! Now I'm contemplating that car!

My main concern is that it's RWD. I live in Toronto (lots 'o snow) and I'm thinking that a RWD car will be useless in the snow. Does anyone have one of these cars and drives in the snow? How does it perform?

THANKS! :D

i drove it in snow one time. it has a snow mode button which i pressed. seemed to work relatively well despite the fact i have 20 inch wheels. its obviously not gonna perform as good as an all wheel drive but how often does it snow in toronto?

Hello!

I posted in another section regarding possibly purchasing a new RX350. I went to a dealership (finally) to have a look.

Well they had a 2006 GS 430 in the showroom that they're selling (14,000 KMs) and it is one sexy car! Now I'm contemplating that car!

My main concern is that it's RWD. I live in Toronto (lots 'o snow) and I'm thinking that a RWD car will be useless in the snow. Does anyone have one of these cars and drives in the snow? How does it perform?

THANKS! :D

I, too, have an '06 GS430 and live west of Denver in Golden. We get tons of snow, not bad this year though.

I got the car last fall and put some 17" W409 Hankooks (non studded) all the way around and it gets around and up and down all the hills/mountains just fine with hardly a wheel slip. Used the "Snow" button once on some glazed snow pack and it was like hooking up a winch, no problem-o.

Whit

Toyotafan1, you maybe able to get by with snow tires on the GS430, but it still a RWD car. It really depends on how much snow you want to be able to drive in. 2 or 3 inches of the light stuff, it may be ok. It will not be as good as the RX in the snow. Why not look at the GS350 AWD, it has more horsepower than the 430 and it has AWD.

Toyotafan1, you maybe able to get by with snow tires on the GS430, but it still a RWD car. It really depends on how much snow you want to be able to drive in. 2 or 3 inches of the light stuff, it may be ok. It will not be as good as the RX in the snow. Why not look at the GS350 AWD, it has more horsepower than the 430 and it has AWD.

The RWD does have a definite advantage when decelerating down a long snow-packed/icy hill.

You can downshift through the GS430's six gears whenever you want and it slows you down while keeping the car relatively straight because the drag is coming from the rear end and you can still maintain steerage.

In an AWD the front end breaks loose easily with braking or downshifting deceleration.

That said, I also have an S-10 with 4WD. It's a monster in our 12"+ snows and I just don't take the GS out of the garage.

Whit