I'm In!

After much lingering and research, I am finally the proud owner of a new '08 IS250. I am coming from an '03 Audi A4, which was totaled in January. After much haggling with the insurance company, I finally got settled up and made the purchase last week. I only have 275 miles, but so far, I love this car! I looked all over for Glacier Frost Mica and only a few dealers here in SoCal had any. Got the color I wanted and a great lease at Lexus of Westminster. I even got Lexus USA to honor my Taste of Lexus coupon that expired last December. Not bad I must say!

What mostly attracted me to the IS was it's agressive styling and amount of features for the price. I love the keyless ignition, wood trim, 18" rims, and LED lighting everywhere. I looked at everything, including a new A4, and concluded this would be the one. I hope to get many good miles out of it and glad I found a forum to post things on.

Speaking of that, I do have some questions. One, is there a way to lower the rear seat headrests? One seems higher than the other and I don't see or feel any buttons to press. Two, there is an elastic band below the back seats at the carpet. Is this something to be cut off and removed? Looks like shipping material. Yes, I have the cracking sound from the center dash, but so far it hasn't gotten on my nerves yet. Lastly, I notice my review mirror vibrates a lot when the interior warms up or I drive with the sunroof open. I think the mounting might be defective, so I'll be bringing it to my dealer for that. Everything else is great and it's hard to think I am actually driving a Lexus! =)

Thanks for the info!

After much lingering and research, I am finally the proud owner of a new '08 IS250. I am coming from an '03 Audi A4, which was totaled in January. After much haggling with the insurance company, I finally got settled up and made the purchase last week. I only have 275 miles, but so far, I love this car! I looked all over for Glacier Frost Mica and only a few dealers here in SoCal had any. Got the color I wanted and a great lease at Lexus of Westminster. I even got Lexus USA to honor my Taste of Lexus coupon that expired last December. Not bad I must say!

What mostly attracted me to the IS was it's agressive styling and amount of features for the price. I love the keyless ignition, wood trim, 18" rims, and LED lighting everywhere. I looked at everything, including a new A4, and concluded this would be the one. I hope to get many good miles out of it and glad I found a forum to post things on.

Speaking of that, I do have some questions. One, is there a way to lower the rear seat headrests? One seems higher than the other and I don't see or feel any buttons to press. Two, there is an elastic band below the back seats at the carpet. Is this something to be cut off and removed? Looks like shipping material. Yes, I have the cracking sound from the center dash, but so far it hasn't gotten on my nerves yet. Lastly, I notice my review mirror vibrates a lot when the interior warms up or I drive with the sunroof open. I think the mounting might be defective, so I'll be bringing it to my dealer for that. Everything else is great and it's hard to think I am actually driving a Lexus! =)

Thanks for the info!

Congrats on the new lex B) Welcome to the club :cheers:

Thanks for the info!

Congrats. There are Technical service Bulletins to fix the cracking and treplace the rear view mirror - yours for the asking...

Welcome to the club.

Read the FM when you get a chance. :D Yes all of the head rests have a buttom to lower then so that they are touching the top of the rear seat. Button is on the side of one of the post inserts. They can also be removed completely which is nice for cleaing. Not too sure about the elastic band. There was a lot of blue plastic on the finsihed parts of my car when I got it but this sounds like something different.

The loose elastic can indeed just be pulled out however i advise that you use two hands - Jam one hand under the seat where the elastic runs in and pull with the other as this will help the elastic to come out easier.

Or you can just pull :P

Just go easy on it though, it'll come out slowly but surely.

Thanks for the info!

Congrats. There are Technical service Bulletins to fix the cracking and treplace the rear view mirror - yours for the asking...

Thanks! Yeah, I have been reading so much about everything on the board... the TSB were next. I knew going into this car there might be rattle issues. But again, it was the sum of everything that led me to the IS.

Thanks for the info!

Thank you thank you! It's great to be here. I tried registering at Club Lexus, but it won't let me log in, or I don't see a place to add an account, and the webmaster never emailed me back. Oh well.

The loose elastic can indeed just be pulled out however i advise that you use two hands - Jam one hand under the seat where the elastic runs in and pull with the other as this will help the elastic to come out easier.

Or you can just pull :P

Just go easy on it though, it'll come out slowly but surely.

Thanks! I'll give it a tug this afternoon. =)

Welcome to the club.

Read the FM when you get a chance. :D Yes all of the head rests have a buttom to lower then so that they are touching the top of the rear seat. Button is on the side of one of the post inserts. They can also be removed completely which is nice for cleaing. Not too sure about the elastic band. There was a lot of blue plastic on the finsihed parts of my car when I got it but this sounds like something different.

Cool. I also have some white sticker film on the edges of my hood I have to pull off. And I am noticing a build up of dirt where the edges of the film used to be... I guess some residue is still on there. Wax time! =)

Thanks for the info!

So many more questions I keep thinking of. I was parked in my garage tonight with the xenons on and I turned the wheel to see if the lights turned with it. Nada. Does the car have to be moving in order for this feature to kick in? Also, I can't seem to get the RDS working with the radio. I'll hit the RDS button and the name of the song or artist comes on for a few seconds, but won't stay. Is there a way to keep that text up? My A4 had is scrolling constantly. What else... oh! When in manumatic mode and coming to a stop, the gear indicator stays at 3 or 4 or wherever it was before I came to a stop. Then when I start moving again, the trans will shift by itself until it reaches those numbers again. At that point, I am back in manual mode. Shouldn't the trans default back to 1 and manual mode when I come to a stop and start up again? I have glanced over the owner's manual... more studying to do unless someone wants to chime in with info. Thanks again!

The car doesn't have a true manual mode. Putting it in sport mode is really just putting a top gear limit on the car. It will still downshift as appropriate, but it won't upshift past whatever the max gear you selected was.

Text doesn't scroll on the radio- it's a "safety" feature

AFS (assuming you have the HIDs) will turn the left light up to 15 degrees during a left turn (right will stay straight) or the right one up to 5 degrees in a right turn (left will stay straight)