Power Steering Issues...again!

mobilyte

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think loosing power steering will cause any effect on the color of your exaust gas. blue smoke means your engine is leaking oil and white smoke usually means that the coolant is gettin into your cilinders under certain conditions.

heh thats a good idea, i dont drive my car to work during winter times. everytime u start it during cold temps u kill the engine so i take a bus or hop a ride with some1:) as to the leaks did you check the rack? check the rack and check the difference between levels with engine on and off:)

Well I can certainly understand how annoying the PS problems are. My LS now leaks PS fluid on my garage floor. I have to add fluid once in awhile, but it appears about the same amount that leaks. Since I just had the PS pump and high pressure hose replaced last year I was not happy. While under the car today doing an oil change, I used a small flashlight and looked up around the pump, it didn't appear to be leaking there. The I looked at the rack. Leaking. Once of the boots is wet with PS fluid and I could see where it is dripping. I cussed at that point because I saw the two guys on two guys garage change a rack and it didn't look like fun.

I'm open to any suggestions on what I can screw around with to fix this.

I was looking at steering component prices at one of the internet sellers and they had this disclaimer for the rack and p/s pump:

"Component failure in this p/s system is often due to hose and fluid deterioration, which results in contamination of the system. It is a strong recommendation that all components of the system (pump, hoses, steering rack) be replaced at the same time. Failure to do so may shorten the life of the new unit and the component not replaced. Warranty credit will not be allowed on component for this p/s application if upon inspection, any contamination is found".

Just the hose is $370 discounted to $143!! Yikes!!

Sounds like the p/s system is something to watch out for on these cars. The 1990 LS400 that I am considering buying has had this repair to a tune of $1500.

glenmore

1991 MBZ 300CE

maybe 1990 LS400

OK,

I've heard enough ;)

My 60K sevice is almost due (although I DIY) so I'm adding a PS Flush to the routine to keep my baby in tip top shape.

What fluid do I buy (can I use T-IV tranny), how much, etc?

VMF or SK, didn't one of you do this recently? I'll check older posts.....

Thanks for the INFO....

i think so, i'm not sure if it was b4 the crash or afer. but the flush was pretty easy to do. and i used 7 bottles of the fluid to get it to the pink clear condition

vmf,

HOW'S this procedure:

1 - remove return hose off PS unit

2 - Put larger Diameter hose (preferrably clear) over return hose and run down to drain into bucket

3- start car and basically add equally as fluid is pumped out

4- stop when fluid is clean, turn off car

5 - replace hose to PS unit

6- keep cap off to bleed air out

As option, I may raise up front end and have helper turn steering wheel while I add fluid to help reduce "bleed" as I go.

you dont even have to raise it. i turned steering wheel while the car was on the ground. he also was starting and stopping the engine since it was coming out at the faster speed then i was pouring it in. the rest of the procedure you described is just like i did it. have fun

I think the term BLEEDING - when it refers to the PS systems means:

Turning your wheels full left & back full right several times with cap off the reservoir unit. This allows the fluid (AND MORE IMPORTANT, ANY AIR BUBBLES) to cycle thru the hoses and entire system. When it gets back to the reservoir, the air bubbles will rise to top since they are no longer "trapped" within the hose.

That's how my 99 service manual describes the way to "bleed" PS lines....

vmf left the cap off overnight after doing this to ensure the air bubbles would "bleed" out.

Is this what you meant or did I completely misinterpet?