Brake Pads

Wow...is this really happenening right now??? :huh:

When you go into a REAL Toyota/Lexus dealership to get work done. They order Toyota Genuine Parts from Toyota. Not knock-offs from napa or autozone.

Toyota makes THE parts for Toyota's, Lexus', and Scion's. The parts that come from the factory, the parts the vehicles are built with. These other brands make a "knock-off" type cheaper version of the same product to replace the more "expensive" OEM part. Nothing beats OEM. There is no gamble.

Just like if you don't want to buy your gf a $500 purse, you go get her a $50 knock-off, looks JUST the same. but the quality, reliabillity, and reputation you can count on are no where to be seen.

:cheers:

Some posters here live and die by OEM parts, but when it comes to brakes, you can spend and spend, and still get disappointments. Yes, NC211, it's maybe better to go OEM, but they sell aftermarkets just like they sell generic drugs and in-store vegetables that are much less expensive-right? My point is that my brand-new Mazda MX-5 Turbo obviously had OEM brakes, and they were noisy after 5,000 miles. The dealer said this was wear and tear. Yeah, I'm in my 60's, and drive like Kyle Busch? So I replaced the OEM's with Raybestos matched rotors and ceramic pads for 100 bucks, and all is fine. Same thing with the 94LS. 120 Bucks. My point is that maybe the aftermarkets may not last as long-not sure about that either-but being handy guys, we can simply install new parts. And save money. And avoid the stealers.

5k miles? That's it? I'm sure Mazda OEM is not up to the same standards as Lexus OEM ;) heheh.

My buddy has a 96 MX-6 M-Edition and It's pretty nice for a Mazda. It would be an awesome first or second car for a young kid.

Wow...is this really happenening right now??? :huh:

When you go into a REAL Toyota/Lexus dealership to get work done. They order Toyota Genuine Parts from Toyota. Not knock-offs from napa or autozone.

Toyota makes THE parts for Toyota's, Lexus', and Scion's. The parts that come from the factory, the parts the vehicles are built with. These other brands make a "knock-off" type cheaper version of the same product to replace the more "expensive" OEM part. Nothing beats OEM. There is no gamble.

Just like if you don't want to buy your gf a $500 purse, you go get her a $50 knock-off, looks JUST the same. but the quality, reliabillity, and reputation you can count on are no where to be seen.

:cheers:

IS RAYBESTOS SO CALLED KNOCKOFF? lmfao! omfg.........tell me this.....who makes the best filters on the market? toyota? or WIX? wix makes our filters but have the napa name on them....napa doesnt make anything, they are reboxed and have our name on them, some of our parts actually are dealer parts....u might want to research information before posting, i have been in the business far too long and deal with shops and dealerships every day of my life.....cheers!

Some posters here live and die by OEM parts, but when it comes to brakes, you can spend and spend, and still get disappointments. Yes, NC211, it's maybe better to go OEM, but they sell aftermarkets just like they sell generic drugs and in-store vegetables that are much less expensive-right? My point is that my brand-new Mazda MX-5 Turbo obviously had OEM brakes, and they were noisy after 5,000 miles. The dealer said this was wear and tear. Yeah, I'm in my 60's, and drive like Kyle Busch? So I replaced the OEM's with Raybestos matched rotors and ceramic pads for 100 bucks, and all is fine. Same thing with the 94LS. 120 Bucks. My point is that maybe the aftermarkets may not last as long-not sure about that either-but being handy guys, we can simply install new parts. And save money. And avoid the stealers.

I don't disagree with you Texas in terms of saving a buck or two, and it's pretty obvious that several folks on here have had good results with aftermarket brake components. My point is that if you simply order the pads from the online vendors, it's really not that much more money "and you avoid the retail markup from the stealership", and you know they're the right kind in terms of caliper seating/fittings/etc.. across the board. Especailly if you still have the oem rotors on the car and plan on using them still. Just like your Raybestos are all matched up with like components, in my opinion, the oem stuff should match as well to give the best performance for the car. I'm just speaking from my own personal experience with this repair, and understand that others have had better luck than I had. I was very very picky with my LS, too much so in certain instances.

You got a MX5? You like it? If it's anything like my wife's 3, I'm sure you're having a lot of fun with it! Especially with an LS400 to switch back to. It's like going from a floating couch, to the edge of a sewing needle. We've got about 20k on the Mazda now, and the brakes are just fine for us. They do make some groaning noises however when you let up from a stop, or creep to a stop. But they stop that little think on a freakin' dime! I didn't know they made a turbo for the 5? Thing must boogie on down the road!

I'll tell you all a little story of my 94 Camaro Z28. When I bought it used, it had Raybestos brake pads in it that were installed at a GM dealer. They were the "red" pads, which are apparently used through GM dealers. They were horrible - poor pedal feel, and very poor first thing on a cold morning. As well the stock rotors front and rear were warped. I replaced the rotors with Raybestos ones - the front were very heavy - about four pounds heavier than the stockers, and that was good as they are heat sinks, and the more metal, more heat sink ability. They never warped again. The rear rotors are composite, as GM had gone to a steel hat with an iron disc cast onto it, and they warp. I used Raybestos on the rear as they were all cast iron, and again, heavier. No more warp. For pads I upgraded to the Raybestos gold pads. Night and day difference. Great pedal feel, less pedal effort, no dust, no noise. So when I was done the car had better brakes than it did new. I have used Raybestos in the past, and did for years on customer cars. No complaints - except on the cheap "red" series of pads.

I would have used Brembo or Raybestos rotors on the LS but neither company makes them for the early "small" brakes on those cars. As well when I priced the Brembo and Raybestos rotors for the 93, which wouldn't fit, they were within $10.00 of the Lexus rotors for the 92. Big deal. The Lexus rotors were supplied in an air tight plastic bag, in perfect unrusted condition, and had a ground surface finish, not machined tooled. They were like glass. From the moment I installed them they worked perfectly. No vibration, no noise. Absolutely beautiful parts.

So for some cars Raybestos parts are available, and work well. For the price though, I'll use Lexus parts. The dealer markup here in Canada is not out of line. In fact the dealer supplied iridium Denso sparkplugs are cheaper at my price (company wholesale) than my jobber can supply NGK platinums. I use the dealer supplied Denso as a result.

It pays to be an educated, and informed, user/consumer.

I love my Raybestos stuff on both cars, SRK. Sometimes, I think it's just installing the rotors and pads correctly, and then driving reasonably, which means avoiding downtown Las Vegas at night, when all the lunatics are on the road.

NC211, nice to hear from you. They made 4,000 MX-5 Mazdaspeed turbos in 2004, and 1,200 in 2005-and then the plant burned down in Japan! So they came out with the new non-turbo in 2006. My speed has 192 HP, while even the larger size 2006 engine has only about 180. You are right-I drive the Speed when the weather is great-here in Vegas, that's most of the time. It weighs half the Lexus weight, and screams down the highway. But don't hit highway cutouts or bumps-you'll lose your dentures. Miata used to have a "chicky" image, but with the rear spoiler and roll bars I installed, it gets a lot of "Nice rides" and such at the drive throughs. But if it's windy or cool, I love to drive the Lexus.

NC-did you see that GM just had to recall 200,000 Buicks and Pontiacs from 2003, I believe, because if you hit the brakes too hard, no problem, except when you parked the car in the garage, oil would drip from the engine, and your house could burn down? Can't imagine why Americans buy foreign....

fwiw its worth, the first car i ever bought(first i ever financed) was a 93 acura integra, and honda was known at the time, probably still does, used "nisin" pads as oem, and while they stopped great they wore out super fast, granted much like the early ls, the design of the braking system was a little underpowered for the 90-93 integras.

the point is even oem suppliers can have products that can stand to be improved upon, if you guys need proof of this just look at oem supplied tires...

OEM lexus brake pads tend to be your best bet for all around best performance and longevity because the friction material the factory uses is so well tested and paired to the qualit/type of knodgular iron used by the factory! if budget is a concern just use red box organic semi-metalic pads

I love my Raybestos stuff on both cars, SRK. Sometimes, I think it's just installing the rotors and pads correctly, and then driving reasonably, which means avoiding downtown Las Vegas at night, when all the lunatics are on the road.

NC211, nice to hear from you. They made 4,000 MX-5 Mazdaspeed turbos in 2004, and 1,200 in 2005-and then the plant burned down in Japan! So they came out with the new non-turbo in 2006. My speed has 192 HP, while even the larger size 2006 engine has only about 180. You are right-I drive the Speed when the weather is great-here in Vegas, that's most of the time. It weighs half the Lexus weight, and screams down the highway. But don't hit highway cutouts or bumps-you'll lose your dentures. Miata used to have a "chicky" image, but with the rear spoiler and roll bars I installed, it gets a lot of "Nice rides" and such at the drive throughs. But if it's windy or cool, I love to drive the Lexus.

NC-did you see that GM just had to recall 200,000 Buicks and Pontiacs from 2003, I believe, because if you hit the brakes too hard, no problem, except when you parked the car in the garage, oil would drip from the engine, and your house could burn down? Can't imagine why Americans buy foreign....

I've heard of houses burning down from unkept candles, irons, etc, but from the family minivan? Geezz, that's just embarrasing! I hear ya' about the harsh ride of the Mazda. The 3 is like that too, but I'm sure a bit softer than the 5, as it's a "sporty" car v. the 5 being a true sports car. I like the little tweaks they've done to the 5. I agree, it looks less girly. The 3 is like a go-cart at times, which adds to the fun on certain roads, and keeps the chiropractor on speed-dial on others. I have yet to push the car to the point of needing the stability control, come close, but it scared me before I could scare it. The mazdaspeed versions must ride like a ton of bricks! Hopefully these little cars will hold up, as they are just fantasticly fun little go-bots! And on blacktop, very quiet and smooth. But come concrete, not so much.

OEM lexus brake pads tend to be your best bet for all around best performance and longevity because the friction material the factory uses is so well tested and paired to the qualit/type of knodgular iron used by the factory! if budget is a concern just use red box organic semi-metalic pads

so the lexus engineers come up with materials to make their pads and noone else has this composition? lmfao! .......too funny

Just wanted to add that the previous owners of my 94LS400, who needed a new high dollar brake job from Lexus every 15,000 miles or so after 45,000 miles, told me that they never drove the car harshly-they are in their 50's, quite wealthy, and not in a hurry. So when I got the car at 97,000 miles, I first replaced the pads only, and found that the brakes still had hesitation and a rumble. So when I replaced the rotors with matching pads, all became heaven. My point is that I think the dealer ground the rotors down at least 4 times minimum, and maybe the surface of the rotors was worn out? Or wore out too quickly? Just a rumination.....How often can a rotor surface be ground?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did decide to order the OEM pads and it worked out pretty well. I do wish I had picked up the OEM Brake Queit (just bought Autozone's goopy stuff). Am noting a small squal when backing out of the garage but not when rolling to a stop going forward. Was kind of fun to do the work myself but was glad to have a friend to coach me--first timer.

toyota,lexus, ford,chevy, or whatever oem dealer parts u may buy are not made and manufactured by them, they are reboxed and put on the dealer shelves with their name on it........cracks me up all these people swear by oem brakes and they are no different than any other pads of that composition, anyone who says differently is ignorant

u better look up the word so u know what it means......call the lexus parts dept, ask if they manufacture their own brakes......ive beat u guys senseless with facts not speculation about this subject and nothing seems to sink in, i have guys working with me that have 20 plus years in the auto parts field, guys that have worked in the dealerships......i have brought this subject up at work and they have laughed at the comments that have been made about OEM pads being any better than aftermarket pads........DEALERSHIPS DO NOT MAKE THEIR OWN PADS...... and they are made no differently that pads made from the same composition, so SRK do some reasearch........ i have

u better look up the word so u know what it means......call the lexus parts dept, ask if they manufacture their own brakes......ive beat u guys senseless with facts not speculation about this subject and nothing seems to sink in, i have guys working with me that have 20 plus years in the auto parts field, guys that have worked in the dealerships......i have brought this subject up at work and they have laughed at the comments that have been made about OEM pads being any better than aftermarket pads........DEALERSHIPS DO NOT MAKE THEIR OWN PADS...... and they are made no differently that pads made from the same composition, so SRK do some reasearch........ i have

I take it you expect to win this discussion with the sheer force of your personality. And that of your parts pushing pals.

I am aware, fully and completely, that dealerships do not make brake pads, by the way.

im not looking to "win" anything here, just enlighten people to the fact that pads from the dealership are no better or no worse than aftermarket pads, for people to get on here and say that they r is untrue......