Oil - Hot Weather?

MotoMac

I bought my 04 RX330 last summer and shipped it overseas. I finally received it in December, so the weather was mild. However, now that summer is looming on the horizon, I'd like some recommendations for oil in very hot weather and short trips. I am in Kuwait, so from May to October, the daytime temperatures will be over 120 and peak in the mid 130's in late July/early August. Overnight lows will still be over 100 for that entire period. My daily commute to work is less than 3 miles, and the vast majority of trips are less than 5 miles.

Since these are about the harshest conditions for a car, I'd like to keep mine alive and well. Logic tells me that I should be using a good synthetic like Mobil 1. I don't know what sort of oil is in it now...there are no stickers or other indications of what was put in the engine. I've never used synthetic before, so don't know if it looks or smells different than regular oil. Based on my assumption that it has petroleum based oil in it now, should I go to a synthetic blend (half dino, half synthetic) at first or go straight to full synthetic? Is the OEM filter good for synthetic or are special filters required?

Any help appreciated.

OEM filters are fine and Mobil1 would be good also. You can switch now. I'd also double check to make sure your coolant was nice and fresh too. If you can manage to get Amsoil out there I'd try that, but a full synthetic should stay consitant in hotter temperatures in terms of viscosity and performance.

With trips that short your oil is not going to reach full temp anyway (assuming you are not sitting in traffic). I would say 10W-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 filter. IMO

No need to go to a blend then full synthetic either, just switch it over.

I am in Kuwait, so from May to October, the daytime temperatures will be over 120 and peak in the mid 130's in late July/early August. Overnight lows will still be over 100 for that entire period.

THAT'S why I live in Montana.

Your biggest problem is the short drive. It takes about 8 miles to warm up the crankcase to evaporate any condensation that could mix with your oil. Hopefully that is not a concern in the summer months (May to Oct.)

Wow, 130. Anything over 55 here is short sleeve weather.

I am in Kuwait, so from May to October, the daytime temperatures will be over 120 and peak in the mid 130's in late July/early August. Overnight lows will still be over 100 for that entire period.

THAT'S why I live in Montana.

Your biggest problem is the short drive. It takes about 8 miles to warm up the crankcase to evaporate any condensation that could mix with your oil. Hopefully that is not a concern in the summer months (May to Oct.)

Wow, 130. Anything over 55 here is short sleeve weather.

Thanks everyone...that's the info I need. I do get in a 45 minute highway trip once a week, as well as one or two 8-10 mile trips during the weekend, so it isn't all the ultra-short ones. Also, humidity is virtually non-existant most of the summer, so I'm pretty sure no condensation would form in the exhaust system.....although I do worry a bit about the oil getting a bit of condensation, but haven't seen any evidence on the dipstick yet.

And Grouch, I can understand your distaste for this sort of weather. I actually don't mind it most of the time, but would like an occasional cool day just for something different....and I don't mean "cool" as in "it dropped from 130 to 125!" either! Anyway, I've got less than 18 months to go here, and then I'm outa here.

Again, thanks for the excellent answers.

Anyway, I've got less than 18 months to go here, and then I'm outa here.

Enjoy the good income, I mean weather. I use to live in the high desert area and remember when I would get tired of working outside in the yard and then realize it was 110. Pool time............ B)

Your original post was about oil. Keep an eye on the radiator. Some RX's start to leak in the lower tank area. Lexus has a TSB for extended warranty repair.

Anyway, I've got less than 18 months to go here, and then I'm outa here.

Enjoy the good income, I mean weather. I use to live in the high desert area and remember when I would get tired of working outside in the yard and then realize it was 110. Pool time............ B)

Your original post was about oil. Keep an eye on the radiator. Some RX's start to leak in the lower tank area. Lexus has a TSB for extended warranty repair.

No "good" income here. I work for the gov't, so get paid the same here as I do in the States. I sure would like to have the income some of the contractors are being down here!!!

Thanks for the tip about the radiator. All appears good so far. Temps are in the 90's right now and the radiator fan has only come on once, and that was when sitting in traffic for a long time. I'll keep an eye on the water level and eyeball the driveway for any stains.

Thanks again...