So Far All Of The Mods On My '06 400h

OK, here it goes...since I can never leave my cars alone and unadorned....here's the lowdown:

New front lip with wire mesh. Details and price on my post titled "New Front Lip"

Took off the (to me ugly) roof rack

Toyo Proxes 255/55 18" tires...amazing tires!

added the wood trim not available in '06. I got two sets to make my nifty interior two toned! Looks great.

I also felt that the space between the console and the dash, the movable area, was perfect for a DVD player. I made a stand for it that pulls in and disappears and the DVD gets thrown into the glove box when not in use. Pretty nifty!

Wooden Steering wheel and shift knob, found on eBay.

Chrome nerf bars (side, running bars), also found on eBay

Chrome trim, very easy to add and accented the back hatch and rear bumper and on the front where the new lip joined the old bumper...LOOKS amazing.

I have more "HYBRID" emblems than three cars put together... one ,chrome on chrome on the rear trim. Two on the sides along with the Hybrid Synergy Drive logos, one below the 400h on the rear and one more on the front license plate frame, also chrome on chrome...I love chrome on chrome!

I hope this helps and if anything, I really have a great time accessorizing my "Princess"! Happy trails, Rey Bustos, happy Lexus owner in L.A.

post-26996-1204157477_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1204157525_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1204157551_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1204157663_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1204157685_thumb.jpg

...and here I thought Corvette owners are all mod-"happy"....You are right up there with the best of them, Rey! My ONLY mod to the RX is a K&N oil filter (with welded-on nut for super-easy removal). However, I do have two modified vehicles in the household - my son's Honda (Eibach springs and shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, AEM V2 intake, Black Racing Pro wheels with low-profile tires, and homemade shift knob, saphire blue glass) and my Corvette with intake, exhaust, shifter, CAI mod, wine red shift knob, and custom-made glass body coalescing filter for PCV line.

It's good to hear that you are enjoying your mods! :cheers:

Dave

Yes, Dave, it is fun for me. I used to have a PT Cruiser and that was dubbed the "Mr. Poatatohead Car" because of all of the mods that were possible and available. I remember that was the case with the VW Bug....the RX 400h is a little trickier to do and it's not for the faint of heart. The car is elegant and for me, expensive, so I was really careful not to mess anything up. It may not be for everyone, but then...it's MY CAR! And now it really looks like my car and no one else's RX. I know I keep getting really nice comments. Some people already have asked if it's the 2009 model that I got way in advance! Actually the 09 won't look as good as mine,hehee.... To each his own and I just wanted to let others see what they might want,not want,or simply take a peek at my car and what I did. I know it would have been easier for me to have images to have seen to guide me so maybe it may help someone out there. It's the great part of being a part of a club like this, ey? Take care Dave and all of my Lexer friends. Rey in L.A.

My 0.02 cents worth...

I liked the Hybrid (italic) on the chrome centre trim, big thumbs up. The rest of the "addon" hybrid badges look too busy and out of place for me.

I really do not like the very "add on" look to the wood trim. Not only does it look tacked on, but the colour is not even a match. Hence, it screams of "add on" and does not integrate nicely as if it was a factory option.

I obviously love the bigger tire look, mega thumbs up (hehe, I did that first I believe on the board :D<

The front bumper I neither dislike or like, I find the factory front end looks right. So on a positive note, it was well integrated and installed. For those in winter climates (unlike yourself) it would be slightly less practical.

The nerf bars look factory installed. I personally do not hate them, but find the need for them on "mini SUV's (like Jeep Grand Cherokees, RX350/400h etc...) less of a "need need" then on obviously Big @ss SUV's where the step in is rather high.

The DVD is obviously not my cup of tea, and simply because it is not in a practical location. If I were to go the rear seat DVD option, I would definitely go with some screens integrated into the rear head rests along with a lockpick to unlock the front end screen and allow movies to stream by Ipod Video. I think that would be the bomb.

I am not bashing you RxRey, you are a great guy to have on this board. You are always positive and always look forward to your posts...

Cheers, and keep modding...

MadloR

Oh no, I never take offense, everyone is always nice and respectful so that's the way that I take things. Most people don't know what the other RXes look like so they think everything's the way the car is. The DVD is low so that I can listen to a Seinfeld episode or anything that I can listen to without really watching. It is placed in the glove box more often than not since I don't really commute much. I don't have kids and rarely have anyone in the back seats so I didn't need a system in the back. I load up the back for when I teach anatomy, yes, filled with skulls and such, so the seats are often down. The two tone reads as different wood colors but it is in fact only two, as I planned since I bought two sets of wood, and does look good in person. I was really mad that I didn't have the option for wood when I bought my car. Yes, busy with emblems...I tend to over adorn but it makes me smile and that's what I aim for in life. Thanks for the input. Warmly, Rey

No chrome rims. I might at some point look for other rims but I actually like the ones that I have and they are really good quality. Too much to spend to change them when, at this point, I like them. I don't make the same money that rappers make so I can only do so much! I think that's a good thing or I'd be out of control. Toodle-loo, Rey

OK, here it goes...since I can never leave my cars alone and unadorned....here's the lowdown:

New front lip with wire mesh. Details and price on my post titled "New Front Lip"

added the wood trim not available in '06. I got two sets to make my nifty interior two toned! Looks great.

I also felt that the space between the console and the dash, the movable area, was perfect for a DVD player. I made a stand for it that pulls in and disappears and the DVD gets thrown into the glove box when not in use. Pretty nifty!

Chrome trim, very easy to add and accented the back hatch and rear bumper and on the front where the new lip joined the old bumper...LOOKS amazing.

I have more "HYBRID" emblems than three cars put together... one ,chrome on chrome on the rear trim. Two on the sides along with the Hybrid Synergy Drive logos, one below the 400h on the rear and one more on the front license plate frame, also chrome on chrome...I love chrome on chrome!

I hope this helps and if anything, I really have a great time accessorizing my "Princess"! Happy trails, Rey Bustos, happy Lexus owner in L.A.

Nice job RXREX, did you do the wood trim on your steering wheel? how hard is it?

No performance mods. I went from PT Cruiser to my 400h, THAT was my performance upgrade! By the way, give me advice on what performance mods that would be appropriate for a hybrid. On my PT I changed the exhaust to a Borla, it gave it a rumble, and I added a cold air filter which also gave it a little bit more growl. On the 400h I don't want it louder, I want it quiet, and I am still getting used to how much power it has already. I love it but I will take any suggestions if they are simple and easy and for me, appropriate. Oh, about the steering wheel. I got it on ebay and it was very simple for my mechanic to change. I still have the leather one that I will sell n ebay in about a year when there are more RXs that might need one due to whatever. He charged me $50 and I guess it's an easy fix. Don't take it to Lexus because they'll charge about $300 to change it. You should be able to find a wooden wheel from $100 to $400, depending on the seller. They are gorgeous and I love it so much more than the leather one that came with the car. The wooden wheel just feels more luxurious to me and it looks great. Happy trails, Rey

Nice job RXREX, did you do the wood trim on your steering wheel? how hard is it?

Kikogirl,

Read the post about the steering wheel just above this one, that was to answer your question......Rey

What about performance mods? :huh: Cosmetic's are nice, but the real fun is when you hit the gas and something wicked happens.. ;)

Every RX400h already has a factory Cold Air Intake, so don't even bother with that aspect of a performance mod.

Eibach makes lowering springs, but I have yet to hear of anyone buying a set.

What about performance mods? :huh: Cosmetic's are nice, but the real fun is when you hit the gas and something wicked happens.. ;)

Every RX400h already has a factory Cold Air Intake, so don't even bother with that aspect of a performance mod.

Eibach makes lowering springs, but I have yet to hear of anyone buying a set.

I thought about lowering it but then I really don't want to compromise the nice ride that I enjoy. I'll wait until someone plays the guinea pig, tries it, and then posts results. I know it's a little mushy on turns, improved by the Toyo tires, but honestly, I drive like an ol' lady most of the time so I don't mind......no offense to you ol' ladies out there...., you know who you are! Take care all, Rey

Hmmm? A fast H400 hybrid, now that would be interesting indeed...

I wouldn't even try to modify an Suv hybrid.. I guess high flowing exhaust mods.. Mufflers, headers, pipes, and high flow cats.. Introduce a high flowing cold air intake and that's about it...

Hmmm? A fast H400 hybrid, now that would be interesting indeed...

I wouldn't even try to modify an Suv hybrid.. I guess high flowing exhaust mods.. Mufflers, headers, pipes, and high flow cats.. Introduce a high flowing cold air intake and that's about it...

Are you kidding? It's not even the fast 0-60 time that is great especially for an SUV, it's the 70-100 time that is amazing! I have never been in a car that accelerates as well on the freeway and that includes the RX350. Yes, this hybrid is really fast and smooth when accelerating. It doesn't have any of the usual belts and impeding things and the tranny is amazing.... Anyway, I will admit, I don't have a lot to compare it to I just know that I love the feel when on the 101 on my Sunday morning drive to the Valley from L.A that I can really open her up and the CVT is smooth and to me, amazing the power it has...so there! Toodle-loo, Rey

Well compared to a PT cruiser my mountain bike would seem fast... Yeah the 400H is still a fully working 4.0 Lexus V8 motor sitting under the hood..It should move some...

It's sounds like you are really enjoying this ride...Congrats...

Well compared to a PT cruiser my mountain bike would seem fast... Yeah the 400H is still a fully working 4.0 Lexus V8 motor sitting under the hood..It should move some...

It's sounds like you are really enjoying this ride...Congrats...

That was very funny...was that you that passed me up that sunny day in June 2004 when I had my PT? You were only faster on your bike when we went uphill though so be fair!

You're right, I don't have a lot to compare it to but I really like my car and since I teach at many places, the traveling anatomy show, I love all the room that I have to carry my "bones".

Warmly, Rey Bustos in L.A.