400h Dashboard Power Meter

Hi all,

This power meter thingy on the dash cluster. What is it really telling me.

The owners manual says is displays the power output of the hybrid system in Kilowatts.

I understand that but what does it really mean in terms of power or efficiency to the

drive wheels. So far I have only noticed it get near 100 inder moderate or heavy

acceleration.

I would have liked to see a tachometer instead. It would be interesting to see what

the engine is doing with the CVT tranny. I'm almost tempted to put in an aftermarket

one if I could find on that would compliment the interior and dash.

/Steve

I think having a power meter is somewhat akin to having a boost gauge in a supercharged vehicle - very entertaining! Also, to me, having a tachometer is essential if the vehicle has either a manual transmission or has paddle shifters with an auto tranny. Having a tach in a CVT-equipped vehicle isn't going to help you drive more efficiently; that's accomplished by watching the power distribution animated graphics on the center display, along with the instantaneous MPG numbers.

I think having a power meter is somewhat akin to having a boost gauge in a supercharged vehicle - very entertaining! Also, to me, having a tachometer is essential if the vehicle has either a manual transmission or has paddle shifters with an auto tranny. Having a tach in a CVT-equipped vehicle isn't going to help you drive more efficiently; that's accomplished by watching the power distribution animated graphics on the center display, along with the instantaneous MPG numbers.

OK, Now that starts to make a little sense. I have a (highly) modified 94 Mazda Miata with a supercharger that I

installed and am quite aware of the value of the boost gauge. Come to think about it if I stomp on the RX400h

the power meter does seem to respond in much the same way as the boost gauge I installed on the Miata does.

This tells me that the electric motors may be contributing quite a bit of power/torque under heavy acceleration. It certianly

feels that way. Unfortunately the owners manual doesn't help you to understand that.

/Steve

OK, Now that starts to make a little sense. I have a (highly) modified 94 Mazda Miata with a supercharger that I

installed and am quite aware of the value of the boost gauge. Come to think about it if I stomp on the RX400h

the power meter does seem to respond in much the same way as the boost gauge I installed on the Miata does.

This tells me that the electric motors may be contributing quite a bit of power/torque under heavy acceleration. It certianly

feels that way. Unfortunately the owners manual doesn't help you to understand that.

/Steve

Also, a Tachometer with a powertrain using a CVT transmission is rather disinteresting as well, seeing as how the CVT really maintains the rev's at a constant level throughout the acceleration process... i.e. 2000rpm from start to 55mph or so...

Cheers,

MadloR

/Steve

if you like to see some more information like engine revs. engine temp, charging voltage (for the 12V System), exact speed of car.... and some more

you can use the SCANGAGE II. it works great in the RX400h. have a look here Scangage II

/Steve

if you like to see some more information like engine revs. engine temp, charging voltage (for the 12V System), exact speed of car.... and some more

you can use the SCANGAGE II. it works great in the RX400h. have a look here Scangage II

Wow, Scangage looks pretty interesting...does it plug into the cigarette lighter or the other plug under the dash?