I'm New, I'm A Girl, And I Need Help! Lol

Hello everyone,

I have a '94 SC400, had it since I was 16, bought it with my own money (so, no, I'm not spoiled), and everytime I have a problem I like to get all the opinions/advice that I can. Most of the work that is done on the vehicle is either by friends or myself.

I am currently running on 283,562 miles! Yay! The car runs great, with occasional fixes here and there- although I can't wait until I hit 300,000 miles!

Anyway, I have a power steering problem. This is probably the third time I'm having this problem.

I'm leaking. The first time the vehicle leaked was in 2000, when my sister owned the car- she replaced the power steering pump in whole because Lexus recommended it. Then, in 2003/2004, there was a leak in one of the hoses with fluid in it that was evetually found and sealed off by a friend.

Today, I was about to leave school, I started my car, heard a sound, almost like a crack- all of sudden, my wheel is turning hard during my ride home.

And I'm *BLEEP*ed! LOL

God!

I realize my car is old and eventually it'll break down on me, but I have so much faith in this Lexus that it'll last me past college graduation!

Now, I get home, notice fluid under the car and purchase some more PowerSteering(+leak) fluid at the local gas station and refill (it was pretty empty, but eventually filled up). However, normally, when I refill on a leak, results are instant and the steering wheel moves easy right away. Today, it was still moving hard. I'm assuming its the pump itself, but that was replaced couple years back by Lexus, brand new!

Any ideas on self-fixes or what it could possibly be? Anything I can check out or try on my own? I really don't want to take it to Lexus ( I've noticed they just create more problems, esp since I'm a girl).

Please help!

Lexus are known for the bad power steering pump seals.

I have 310K miles on my SC. My pump started to leak around 120K miles. I figured I would try some stop leak first before paying $300 for a new one.

Try Lucas power steering stop leak. I drained my pump and put two bottles of that stuff in. It stopped the leak on the seal in about 2 days. I am still using my original pump today. I figured $16 to fix a $300 problem, isn't that bad.

That Lucas stuff do work.

I would crack open the phone book, and find a mechanic that will do the change out with used parts. It's a 94. There are plenty available and changing out the pump isn't hard at all. I would make sure you locate the leak though. It may be leaking from a line, and the drained or low fluid level may have burned out the pump. So you may have 2 issues there.

rebuilt ps pumps are about 150 bucks. They also have seal kits available: http://users.bigpond.net.au/startrade/orde...ers/pspump.html You might be able to just get away with that. And you could call around the local parts/junk yards and pull a used one for about 50 bucks.

Hello everyone, I have a '94 SC400, had it since I was 16, bought it with my own money (so, no, I'm not spoiled), and everytime I have a problem I like to get all the opinions/advice that I can. Most of the work that is done on the vehicle is either by friends or myself. I am currently running on 283,562 miles! Yay! The car runs great, with occasional fixes here and there- although I can't wait until I hit

300,000 miles!

First of all, Welcome to the club. Luv the spunk. If I had an SC when I was 16, it would have bit the dust real quick or else I would have. So good on ya for taking care of your car and wanting to reach 300k.

I realize my car is old and eventually it'll break down on me

Not if you keep up with the maintenance.

she replaced the power steering pump in whole because Lexus recommended it.

Get a second opinion before spending a lot on anything. Also try Toyota, they are cheaper than Lexus.

I started my car, heard a sound, almost like a crack- all of sudden, my wheel is turning hard

during my ride home

Check out your steering rack.

Now, I get home, notice fluid under the car and purchase some more PowerSteering(+leak) fluid at the local gas station and refill (it was pretty empty, but eventually filled up).

If your rack checks out then your pump probably sucked in some air. Read this thread for wtd:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...p;hl=foam+strip

However, normally, when I refill on a leak,

Don't just keep filling up, the more it leaks the more you risk losing your alternator. Fix the leak!

Pronto!

Then, in 2003/2004, there was a leak in one of the hoses with fluid in it that was evetually found and sealed off by a friend.

Recheck those hoses again. Tighten what's loose and replace what's leaking.

Any ideas on self-fixes or what it could possibly be? Anything I can check out or try on my own? I really don't want to take it to Lexus ( I've noticed they just create more problems, esp since I'm a girl).

Please help!

Next time you go in, dress like a man and be smokin a cigar.......or don't go in at all. Just kiddin'.

Until you fix the leak, try flushing the system. Here's another link for htd:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html

Spend some time searching through the various threads and the tutorials.........you'll find a load of info.

Good luck on your graduation and reaching 300k.:cheers: