Help....

Hello!

I own a 2000 ES300 and it is in need of a detail. I have never used any type of compound, polisher, wax or sealer on the car. There are really fine scratches over the paint of the car that are not noticeable until you get up close. Recently, someone keyed my car and I am not too happy about it. There is also a few light scratches here and there. I need to start with something to try and remove the semi-deep key mark, then the medium scratches then the light ones. There are a few swirl/oxidation marks on the roof. Should I buy a circular polisher? Have you heard of optimum compound or OHC? I need a kit that can remove several different layers of scratches, clean up the paint, seal the clear coat and give me an awesome shine. I am deploying to Iraq month and I would like to get this done before I put it in covered storage under a car cover. It is cold here in Kentucky so its not the best time to detail but, I have to work with what I have. Zaino kit? Any information. I want to designate one good weather day and just get everything done. What about for the tires? I just put some brand new Potenza RE960AS's on it and I'd like to keep them fresh as well. Please help! Thank you!

Get "true-cut" compound & polish. Should do wonders for the scratches. ("true-cut" products physically repair the scratches rather than cover them up)

As for a wax, I'd suggest a good sealant over a wax. It will last much much longer.

Feel free to PM me for lots more info and where to buy the best! :D

kluthage421- I have used OC and OHC. kick a$$ products. I have used much items from cheap compounds to overdusting and crappy work in times ones. OC/OHC work great. They are my go-to compounds due to great work times, no dusting and paint correction is wonderful. I strong advise people to get them.

But any compound from PB, sonus, danase. CG, OC/OHC etc will work fine. Most compounds do not have fillers.

But start with OC and see how it does. OHC will correct a car fast so be careful.

Best thing you can do is go to autopia and read around. Site is great info dump and more then anyone single person knows.

Lastly, stay safe in Iraq and thanks for your service!!!!!!

jcrome04- So you are going to seal over a wax? I hope you did your homework since you might have bonding issues.

Not starting a heated debate but how long have you been in the detailing business? There is no best and no one place to buy one single product. If people pimp (1) product.site a wonder how long in business (if at all). Even I do not have (1) product from one person/store. Not gonna happen. It most times is a personal thing. I have customers cars that like CG, some like Opt poli seal, some like a glaze. There is no best.

Mburnickas I don't care what product you use, where you use it, or how you use it. I'm just offering my PROFESSIONAL opinion to people asking for help. I'm going to offer them the BEST product that I've ever used. You think I'm "pimping" Rightlook????? No...I'm offering my personal advice on the best product to use. Besides, you're always dropping names of products as well.........????

And I'd like to think people are smart enough to understand that I'm recommending a paint sealant over a wax, as in, use the paint sealant as opposed to a wax because it's more worth while.

Are you just trying to pick a fight? I'm sorry if my opinions offend you, but I've been trained by VERY skilled and VERY succesful professionals from one of the fastest growing, and most succesful businesses in California. If you're really into detailing as much as you say you are, you should look into one of their detailing seminars. You will learn a lot you didn't know. They teach very modern detailing practices.

But in the end, do what you want, and what you're comfortable with. Do what works for you. I'm not trying to "pimp" one thing or another or force everyone to think MY way.

Simply offering my personal, professional, advice and opinions to people who ask.

No hard feelings mburnickas...seriously :cheers:

I agree it is your professional opinion but how long have you had this "professional" opinion? I name drop products not one product nor (1) website. There is a difference here. I think rightlook, along with others is AVERAGE products. Based on there site, not much to offer. I have posted MANY products and website; please look. I can name about 10 brands that are very good and about the same in websites.

Putting wax under sealant is better but again some products dislike this comb; that is my years of using talking.

I am not picking a fight but you are the guy who just got a "cert" to be called a professional (whatever that gets you)and thought you cannot layer wax (along with other things). When someone pimps one website and posts incorrect info I wonder who long they are in business (if at all). Being trained and doing real work with many products (experience) are not even in the same state. Anyone who details thinks they are the are very good etc. I know many car painters that train people etc and all think they are very skilled. And the end result is hacked.

Again, after 12 years of detailing I have yet to find a BEST product. There are many good products that make a GREAT finish. Again there is no best product / website. It is all subjective and detailers should know this.

Nope, no hard feelings and I know very little on car products and less on engine oils. I do know what I have used and always learn. I always say go to autopia to people to get a general observation on products.

jchrome: I don't think Mburn is out of line asking how long you've been professionally detailing cars. You're selling your advice as that of a professional and its reasonable to ask how long you've been a professional and what the scope of your experience is.

Based on your reluctance to answer him I'm going to guess its not long...

Oh not reluctant to answer just guess I had other things on my mind! haha

I'm only 22 and have owned my own business for almost 2 years. (Yes I started young!) Worked a couple detail jobs before that, and basically really been into cars, and car maintinence since I was 15-16. Cleaning my parents cars, siblings car, friends cars. Learning how to use products and figuring out what kinds work the best for me.

So not long personally, 6-7 years, a couple "professional" years under my belt, but I have had the great opportunity to learn from the best so I'm very grateful of where I've had a chance to start! I know I don't know everything about detailing, it's a learning experience everyday! :) I love it.

I love being able to finish a job, and there's a beautiful vehicle with a beautiful shine! Too many jobs have no satisfaction or end result. I love detailing. I'd probably do it for free if I didn't need money! hahaha. :D

Please don't think I'm just some "Joe Shmoe" who grabbed a bucket and brush and thought I'd call myself a detailer. I may not have the years upon years under my belt like you guys, but I think being trained by HIGHLY succesful and VERY prosperous detailers, adds to my experience. Also having a "certificate" is to let people know, that YES I know what I'm doing, I'm serious about it, and I love what I'm doing. you have no need to worry.

I know I'd be a lot more comfortable taking my vehicle to a detailer that knows what they're doing and been trained by some of the best out there, and not just some kid that wants to make a quick buck waxing some cars.

:cheers:

I'm not saying you're a Joe Schmo, but you have to be open to the idea that people who disagree with you are not neccisarily wrong. Try not to present your opinions about products or techniques as the only right answer and you'll have less problems with others. You come across as being a "know-it-all" with your blanket statements that denigrate the opinions posted before you, your contstant referrals to your "professional" status and your "training", the blurb in your signature. It definately seems like you think you know a lot more than the rest of us.

A "certificate" is great, but there are others here, myself included, that have a lot more experience than you do cerificate or not. Your opinions are welcome, but offer them as opinions instead of fact, and stop qualifying all your opinions by saying "I'm a professional so you know I'm right". Thats why you're getting so much flack.

I know this is a little old but I just checked up on it today!!! :)

I'm totally not trying to come across as a "know-it-all" or tell everyone my way is the right way and everyone else is wrong! I guess I just need to work on my wording better since this is the internet and you can't tell the "tone" of a voice here.

I'm not trying to make everything I say come across as a hard true fact. Just offering my advice through the experience I've had and what I personally know to do. and I only have that long title in my sig cause it's an inside joke with me and my buddies. Instead of telling people I'm just an "auto deatailer" I spew off that big long title and people get all confused! :D haha

So sorry for any misunderstandings at all. I'll try wording my advice differently so no one thinks i'm trying to be a "jerk" or anything!!!!!

I appreciate all the info here a lot! I literally learn something new everyday that I log into LOC! :lol:

:cheers:

Hello Kluthage421, Comeback home safe....... :)

Please, allow me to offer my opinion.

I have never used any type of compound, polisher, wax or sealer on the car.

At one point or another, some of us have been on those same shoes, sometimes detailing a vehicle can be intimidating and at times frustrated, educate your self, take your time and the results will pay off.

Depending on the severity of the surface damage you may or may not be able to accomplish your goal by applying a product just by hand, you could try to work by hand using a range of products before you get into the machine action. I said a range of products because I have seen products in the market place that claim to do a job but they don’t.

Without seen the condition of the surface I could look into a high quality brand of Silicon free and no filler “Swirl Remover”

Should I buy a circular polisher?

If you are going to venture into the machine polishing, there are numerous machine brands out there that will get the job done; all do some have a few features different than the others, I believe the end result is very close. The most important thing to remember is the quality of the pad that you will be using.

For the tires, my preference are tire gels, they seem to last a long time and are a great way to protect them too.

For wax, my preference is Polymers, but like anything else, there are many choices in today’s market place, I could stay away from complicated waxes that require multiple steps, at times they are very confusing for the average consumer.

Don’t forget to protect the rubber trim as well; I could use a product to protect all of the rubber seals, around the doors and trunk ,that will keep them in good shape.

I hope that helps a little at least :)

Speaking of machines Turbo Wax. What do you think of the Cyclo dual head??

I was trained on the rotary buffers but much prefer the Cyclo due to ease of use, how much faster it is than taping things off, "cutting out" edges, and not having to worry about burning the paint at all.

If you're new to machine's I'd advise to go for the Cyclo as there is almost zero risk when using it, but if you have experience with rotary buffers and know how to "control" the swirling then go for that. Just depends on which you're more comfortable with.

If you are new, go with a PC and not a Cyclo. Rotary machines are for people who know how to use them. Once you use one correctly you WILL NOT go back. If you worry about burning paint you should not be using one. You also do not need to tape off etc if you use the products correctly.

PC are great for starts since anyone can use one. For me paint correcting there is nothing better then a rotary.

I'm sure like any other product, it has a place on the marketplace.

My findings were,

1-Too heavy for my taste

2-Needs 2 hands to operate

3-Limit on speed

4-Limit on pad size

5-Hard to work on difficult areas

My opinion is, the machine don't burn the paint, is the end user :P

Hello!

I own a 2000 ES300 and it is in need of a detail. I have never used any type of compound, polisher, wax or sealer on the car. There are really fine scratches over the paint of the car that are not noticeable until you get up close. Recently, someone keyed my car and I am not too happy about it. There is also a few light scratches here and there. I need to start with something to try and remove the semi-deep key mark, then the medium scratches then the light ones. There are a few swirl/oxidation marks on the roof. Should I buy a circular polisher? Have you heard of optimum compound or OHC? I need a kit that can remove several different layers of scratches, clean up the paint, seal the clear coat and give me an awesome shine. I am deploying to Iraq month and I would like to get this done before I put it in covered storage under a car cover. It is cold here in Kentucky so its not the best time to detail but, I have to work with what I have. Zaino kit? Any information. I want to designate one good weather day and just get everything done. What about for the tires? I just put some brand new Potenza RE960AS's on it and I'd like to keep them fresh as well. Please help! Thank you!

Hey kluthage, I have to ditto "thanks for your service" and that our thoughts and prayers are with you!!! Freedom isn't free and I (and my family) thank you for keeping our freedom in tact! Hey I started another post here on cleaning and detailing because I, like you, are new to this. Now I have a new car and you seem to have an older (but better!) car. One of the best videos on the Internet that I found is at the website below. In the middle of the page there is a button "click here" to play the Pinnacle products how-to play. It is a great video and steps through the process (even though it hypes Pinnacle products).

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/productline.html

Before anyone gets upset or I miscommunicate, I am not pushing Pinnacle products. I am a novice (as can be seen in the other posts), but I thought it really helped bring to life what mburnikas and detaildoc and sw03es have helped me with in the other post. I am working through this myself and I think I am going to try Pinnacle, Ultima, and Sonus for a start!

Anyway, hope you find this helpful (from a novice). Just remember, we all are a Lexus family and Kluthage is part of the family helping us all be able to enjoy the freedom of expression like on this Owner's Club!