93 Ls 400 Weirdest Prob Ever!

lunavic50

I have a 93 lexus ls 400

well heres whats strange.

My cluster odometer , temp , and fuel gauge works fine. The rpm and the speedometer dont reg right. When Im going 50 It says Im doing 30.

Ok now when I have my lights on the reverse light lights up in the cluster and the car won get out of second gear. When I turn my lights off... its fine,,

Ive pulled the fuses for gauge and panel to see if the cluster was the prob but still the same prob..

Has anyone ever heard of such a problem

any suggestions would greatly be appreciated

thank you

I don't understand why there are so many new posts going up lately about gauge cluster problems... :unsure:

Check out the sticky, There is more info there than you'll ever need to know!! B)

That particular problem sounds like something that may be connected to the trunk hinge wiring loom issue. Well known problem.

I have a 93 lexus ls 400

Ok now when I have my lights on the reverse light lights up in the cluster and the car won get out of second gear. When I turn my lights off... its fine,,

Ive pulled the fuses for gauge and panel to see if the cluster was the prob but still the same prob..

That particular problem sounds like something that may be connected to the trunk hinge wiring loom issue. Well known problem.
I have a 93 lexus ls 400

I agree with the trunk wiring problem, Lexus didn't make the wires long enough and they wear down and short out. Very common problem with the early ls.

I have a 93 lexus ls 400

I agree with the trunk wiring problem, Lexus didn't make the wires long enough and they wear down and short out. Very common problem with the early ls.

is this something I can fix?

and yeah I think you are right because when I pulled the fuses for the cluster is was intermitinly still gettin power.

I have a 93 lexus ls 400

and yeah I think you are right because when I pulled the fuses for the cluster is was intermitinly still gettin power.

Yes, Use the search function on top of the forums. There is plenty of info on the subject, It hasn't been discussed lately so go back a ways.

I have a 93 lexus ls 400

Yes, Use the search function on top of the forums. There is plenty of info on the subject, It hasn't been discussed lately so go back a ways.

yikes I tried to search trunk hinge wiring loom but to no avail... any ideas ? Is this a dificult projecy to do on your own?

• 1 month later...

Check drivers side hinge in trunk, pull the black cover and the wire harness out and take off the tape that is around it, if this is the problem you will notice that wires have seperated, it's a relatively easy fix just re-attach the wires based on colours, hope this helps as I did mine and it corrected all the weird issues, if memory serves me right the were 4 broken wires.

Cheers!