Engine Braking Question

burke3265

What do you feel when you get off the gas at about 70 MPH? I think it's because I'm used to an old manual car. My car almost seems to brake as it decelerates, there is no coasting feeling coming off the gas. Is this similar to the rest of you? 19-20 MPG so I don't think I have a sticky ebrake or anything...

Thoughts?

The Lexus transmission can select torque converter lockup and de-select it as it sees fit. During decel on cruise control it can lock-up to use engine braking when needed. If you touch the brake pedal, the convertor unlocks, and the trans will then coast on the sprag or over-running clutch. Watch the tach needle to see this change.

An automatic which is overunning on coast allows the engine to return to idle, or near idle, where a manual trans will continue to use the engine as a brake, unless the clutch is released.

Thanks SRK and all for the replys, I think I'm probably obsessing...just like that rattle that is driving me to distraction....I love this car...my old 88 legend sounded like a rag top there was so much wind noise...I think I'm just not used to driving the ls400 yet, but I do loive it!

• 4 weeks later...