Buying Choice To Make. Help Guys!

superxjeff

Hi Guys, I have finally narrowed down my buying decisions. I am looking to buy either A) a 1998 LS400 with 80,000 miles. It has all service records to day one and had the starter replaced recently. The guy won't budge much off of 13500 dollars. It is a very nice car and really doesn't have a mark on it. #2 is a 2000 LS400 with 105,000 miles. The same story as the first except the owner bought it as a lease return with 30,000. What do you fellas think? I have seen cars for less money in both years but never one as nice or with a 100% verifiable history. I really would like you guys to tell me the truth and don't hold back Neither car has Nav as I didn't want it and the 98 has heated seats. Other then that they have the same options. The 2000 can be had for 14,900

I'm too cheap to buy either (I only looked at higher-mileage ones I could get for under $10K), but here a couple things to consider. The 90K service, which includes replacing the timing belt and water pump, costs a thousand or so. Sounds like you'll soon be paying for that with the 98 but not the 00. On the other hand, the 98 has a new starter, which is an expensive repair when needed, though it may not be needed on the 00 for a good while. Close call.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 1998 with over a 100,000 and after the replacement of the suspension and nitrogen in the tires it is a dream on earth. The 98 it is just as bullet proof as the 2000 is, because both are of the same generation. It is a close call I agree. Both, if you base it upon the price on the 98 if feel it is the best deal, corollary to the 90k service not being done. Remember in the 98 you will save 1400 and the car has 25000 thousand miles less. The starter is new, another good point. But I would verify how much they charge you for the 120 months inspection of the airbag on the 1998 and go from there, this will not have to be done on the 2000 for another two years, because it is a time inspection regardless of miles. If the inspection is something of a 100, 200 USD I still will go with the 98 if it something more than 400 + I would get the 2000.

CPR

Both are very similar in terms of mechanical, however do they both have 4 speed gear boxes, or 5 speed, or the 98' on a 4 speed and 2000 is a 5 speed? If the 00' is a 5 speed and the 98' is a 4, then go for the 2000. But if they're identical in every way "assume no air suspension? don't buy one with it", then I'd go for the lowest price. I say that because each will ding you at some point for an expensive repair, either suspension components, timing belt service, starter, whatever...They're great cars, identical in nature, so it comes down to initial price and history of care. If the 98' is being sold by a Lexus dealership, then make your offer contingent upon the 90k service! That's what I did with my 95' when I bought it at 84k miles. I told them to throw in the full serviced 90k maintenance.

You can also be patient and keep searching for a better deal.

Here's what's in Phoenix.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/525926488.html

I test drove this car and if my black '98 LS 400 didn't work out, then this would have been the one. Also, the seller of this car turned down $12,750 when he was asking $13,500 in early November. Based on this ad, he should have been smart enough to take my offer. My point is patience may save you some money and get what you want.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. I know I didn't answer your question, but wanted you to think outside the box and be patient.