Now I'm Really Worried....

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Two times now - when I've started my '93 LS cold - the engine struggled at around 200 r.p.m. for about 5 or 6 seconds before shooting up to the usual 1500 'warm-up' r.p.m's. And both times I could smell 'varnish'. [when I got out of the car - as I usually do - waiting for it to warm up a bit]

That can't be good - can it?

What does that mean? I know it has something to do with 'old gas' [which may still be present in the tank - even though I've already filled it up 5 or 6 times since I bought it] but should I be as worried about it as I am? Is it the beginning of a nightmare? Can I buy something to clean 'it' up - like a fuel additive?

I'll be taking my car in [again] next week sometime to have the valves adjusted - and will talk to the service guy then. But I'd like to at least have SOME idea of what's going on and what to expect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig!! :)

What manner of bad gas do you imagine would persist so strongly through 5 or 6 fillups? I can't imagine any fluid actually sold as gasoline could be so overwhelming strong as to not have been diluted into virtual nonexistence.

My opinion is that there is something else altogether going amiss.

Joe

I don't believe I've encountered a varnish smell. No idea what you're smelling. (Are you lactose intolerant???? :whistles: )

Could the "varnish" smell actually be unburned gas? When the engine sputters (for whatever reason) there's a good chance that it could be shooting unburned gasoline out the exhaust system.

Try locating the smell. Is it coming out the tailpipes? Or is it in the engine compartment? Or?

Joe

Check under the car and see what you see. I once had an annoying plastic smell which persisted for awhile. I imagined all kinds of terrible things but it turned out to be a plastic grocery bag which had stuck to one of the exhaust pipes.

Since you are noticing an idle problem at cold start up, I's suspect the throttle body is kind of clogged up. Look at Curt Oberg's slide show on how to clean it in the workshop forum.