Car Died

SCRider

Ok so here's my problem. First off let me say that I replace the starter, battery, and alternator all in one year and it wasn't too long ago. Maybe like last year or 2 years ago. Got a viper alarm with remote start system a couple months ago. I also had my tires change 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine until the weather got just a little bit cold, then the battery light came on. I realized for a few days but I really didn't pay much attention to it cause I didn't have time, had to go to work and everything. Then today I was driving, all of a sudden my headlights start to flicker and then the stereo turned off. So I tried to get home as quick as possible, but then the engine just shuts off. Then when I tried to shift the car in neutral to move it to the side of the road, even when I pressed the shift lock button, it still wouldn't budge. Not even with the key turned to on position. So can anyone help me? I'm thinking it might be too cold and I do have corrosion on the batter tap, so I have to clean that off. Or a bad alternator, which I changed not too long ago. Or is it the remote start that was installed in my car. I also tried jumping the car but it wouldn't turn, I couldn't even get it to turn, the lights would come on but it would be very weak. Anyways if anyone has experienced the same problem please let me know. I already spent too much money with all of the things I just described and I really don't feel like spending anymore. PLEASE HELP!

Ok so here's my problem. First off let me say that I replace the starter, battery, and alternator all in one year and it wasn't too long ago. Maybe like last year or 2 years ago. Got a viper alarm with remote start system a couple months ago. I also had my tires change 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine until the weather got just a little bit cold, then the battery light came on. I realized for a few days but I really didn't pay much attention to it cause I didn't have time, had to go to work and everything. Then today I was driving, all of a sudden my headlights start to flicker and then the stereo turned off. So I tried to get home as quick as possible, but then the engine just shuts off. Then when I tried to shift the car in neutral to move it to the side of the road, even when I pressed the shift lock button, it still wouldn't budge. Not even with the key turned to on position. So can anyone help me? I'm thinking it might be too cold and I do have corrosion on the batter tap, so I have to clean that off. Or a bad alternator, which I changed not too long ago. Or is it the remote start that was installed in my car. I also tried jumping the car but it wouldn't turn, I couldn't even get it to turn, the lights would come on but it would be very weak. Anyways if anyone has experienced the same problem please let me know. I already spent too much money with all of the things I just described and I really don't feel like spending anymore. PLEASE HELP!

i think we'd need a lil more info on what the car is doing when u try to crank. Like is it making a clicking sound like a relay, is it even TRYING to start like a REAL slow turning starter or nothing at all??

Usually in my experience with other cars where the lights come on real dim, it's just a bad connection at the battery cable. Either the cable is loose or corroded like you said. Try cleaning the corrosion and making sure the terminal on the cable end hasn't gotten spread open too far or something. Might just be something simple as that. Let us know what happens. Pe@ce love and chicken grease from the middle east.

It sounds like your battery is not getting a charge when the car is running...This would lead me to believe maybe your battery connections are loose, or something wrong with your alternator.... Are you experiencing a power steering leak?

It is common knowledge over time the SC400's can begin to leak power steering fluid which unfortunately runs right onto the alternator, then the alternator fails.... Check that and your battery cables...

How old is your battery? Take it out and see if it is swollen. My boat has dual batteries and I buy them alternately every year. That way I always have one that is relatively new. Getting stranded on the water is a lot worse than what you had happen.

When I have had a battery go bad, that would not charge, I get a low volt reading at the helm and then when it goes below 12 volts with the engine running I know it is time to switch it out. Invariably it is swollen out or will not take a charge when tested.

I'd bet you have a combination of things going on like the other guys said, but I'd test your battery first.

Would you believe that the stock Lexus battery in my 1992 Sc400 actually blew up on me a year ago...It sounded like a shotgun blast as the battery exploded under my hood during start up that morning.... It was swollen and low on water, turned the ignition on and then BOOOOOM....Scared the sheeet out of me... After the fact I opened the hood and all four battery sides were all pancaked out with no evidence of any inside battery guts... Just crazy...

A little story for you guys.... I never knew batteries could explode until that experience...

Ok today I cleaned the corrosion off the battery and even lubed it with the stuff they gave me at autozone. My car still wouldn't start. I turn the key and nothing happens. I don't even get a crank or anything no sound. All the light comes on and now my stereo doesn't even work. It was the first thing to go right before my engine shut down. Everything else does but my stereo doesn't even work anymore. The lights are also weak, but not very weak. I don't know what's going on with my stupid car. Ok so here's the conclusion. My stereo doesn't work, the car won't even crank when I turn the key, and I don't even think my alternator is recharging my battery. Also even when I try to jump my car nothing happens. So does anyone have any idea what's going on because I'm so stumped right now. PLEASE HELP, I hate not having a car.

Ok nevermind guys I found the problem. Thanks to all of you who tried to help. Turned out my alternator went bad even though I changed it only a year ago. Probably because the power steering leak. Anyone knows how to fix that by the way? It would be the most help so that when I do change a different alternator, it won't happen again.

Don't take my word for it, but you cannot run a ecm (computer) car without a battery at proper voltage, within reason. That is why you got the low volt warning those couple of days maybe. The computer recognized the bat was not charging.

Ding. Ding. Ding! We have a winner!

That is why it will not jump. It cannot run on just an alternator IMO. It needs constant, regulated voltage for the computer and sensors etc.

Take your battery to the local autozone, kragers etc. and get it tested. If it tests dead, get another one.

Ok today I cleaned the corrosion off the battery and even lubed it with the stuff they gave me at autozone. My car still wouldn't start. I turn the key and nothing happens. I don't even get a crank or anything no sound. All the light comes on and now my stereo doesn't even work. It was the first thing to go right before my engine shut down. Everything else does but my stereo doesn't even work anymore. The lights are also weak, but not very weak. I don't know what's going on with my stupid car. Ok so here's the conclusion. My stereo doesn't work, the car won't even crank when I turn the key, and I don't even think my alternator is recharging my battery. Also even when I try to jump my car nothing happens. So does anyone have any idea what's going on because I'm so stumped right now. PLEASE HELP, I hate not having a car.

My advise to you is to fix that power steering leak asap if that is the culprit or else you'll burn out the next alterator as well...

To fix the power steering leak you can try the POWER STEERING STOP LEAK bottles that you can buy at Pepboys...Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't but it may be worth the try... The right way to fix the power steering leak is to remove the power steering pump and have it rebuilt or replaced....

My advise to you is to fix that power steering leak asap if that is the culprit or else you'll burn out the next alterator as well...

To fix the power steering leak you can try the POWER STEERING STOP LEAK bottles that you can buy at Pepboys...Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't but it may be worth the try... The right way to fix the power steering leak is to remove the power steering pump and have it rebuilt or replaced....

or use some duct tape :whistles: lol I'm so kidding. I'd go with jibbby on this one since he knows bout the leak already as having happened on other cars already.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1995 sc300 with similar symptoms.

It stopped starting one day (machine gun like clicking).

I reaplced the battery, it worked again.

Now (2 months later), when I open/close windows, flick the wipers, or draw electical current the engine may shut off and the ABS light may come on.

I have the 2JZ engine and am not sure of the PS pump location, but do you think there may be a bigger problem? I really can't afford to have alot of work done on the car to debug some phantom electical problem...