Side View Mirrors Unresponsive, Motor Dead?

decypher

Hello folks,

I have a '95 SC 300 and everything works really well in it except for the side view mirrors! I have to adjust them by hand which I am sure isn't the best thing for the mechanisms which move it electronically. The person I bought the car from claims its just a fuse which needs to be replaced, is this accurate? Has anyone ever had to do something like this? Where can I find this fuse and how do I know which one to replace?

If your lucky, it's the fuse. I don't know where it is. On mine, the previous owner thought it was the switch and had an extra one, but that wasn't it either. I got a mirror computer from a junk-ah, salvage yard for $20 plus $10 shipping on Ebay. That fixed mine. BUT, what a !Removed! to get to. Above the steering column, over toward the middle of the car. Had the dash out and STILL couldn't get to the bolt on the top bracket. Finally gave up and cut it with some tin snips to get it out. That still left a slide-in bracket and another bolt to hold it in, which holds it fine. It is nice to have them working. Oh, and when you turn the key on to see if you got them working with the dash out, you'll trip your airbag light. I read don't start the car-I guess they meant dont even turn the key at all. I saw how to reset it, but have not done it yet-still got to send it off for needles anyway. Good luck.

If your lucky, it's the fuse. I don't know where it is. On mine, the previous owner thought it was the switch and had an extra one, but that wasn't it either. I got a mirror computer from a junk-ah, salvage yard for $20 plus $10 shipping on Ebay. That fixed mine. BUT, what a !Removed! to get to. Above the steering column, over toward the middle of the car. Had the dash out and STILL couldn't get to the bolt on the top bracket. Finally gave up and cut it with some tin snips to get it out. That still left a slide-in bracket and another bolt to hold it in, which holds it fine. It is nice to have them working. Oh, and when you turn the key on to see if you got them working with the dash out, you'll trip your airbag light. I read don't start the car-I guess they meant dont even turn the key at all. I saw how to reset it, but have not done it yet-still got to send it off for needles anyway. Good luck.

I looked inside the manual and wasn't able to really get a confirmed location of the fuse, or even which fuse governs the side view mirrors.

There was a fuse with the code DOME which included Dome lights, vanity mirror lights, and mentioned side mirrors however if the fuse was bad, wouldn't all the other stuff like the Dome lights, vanity mirror lights not work?

All that stuff works fine!

Which leads me to believe it's the mirror computer :( Anyone able to shed any light on my situation with this new info?

It sounds like the Mirror regulator(ecu). I'd opt for a new one from the dealer; to me even if it doesn't fix the problem the fact that I've replaced the part is a piece of mind.

Nolyaw:

can you describe how to get to it? perhaps our friend would like to tackle this on his own.