Strut Replacement...

Hello,

I just bough 2 sets of KYB GR-2 to put on my 2000 ES300 and a local shop quoted me $475 for installation not including an alignment. I think thats pretty ridiculous. I could see maybe $250 with an alignment. For that price I should just do it myself at the local DIY shop that has all the necessary tools. Just looking for some input. Thanks.

Hello,

I just bough 2 sets of KYB GR-2 to put on my 2000 ES300 and a local shop quoted me $475 for installation not including an alignment. I think thats pretty ridiculous. I could see maybe $250 with an alignment. For that price I should just do it myself at the local DIY shop that has all the necessary tools. Just looking for some input. Thanks.

dude, do it yourself.

rent the spring compressor tool from autozone, it is free, well, $40 deposit and then you get it back. i got the one that compresses from the outside not the inside.

just remember what position the strut mount and bracket come off, so they are reinstalled correctly, and do one side at a time.

you may want to replace the strut mounts at the same time also, it is just easier.

make sure you have a long breaker bar for the strut bolts

I went ahead and bought the KYB strut mounts. If I'm going to do it why not do it right. Is there anything else I should consider replacing. I just noticed my ride isn't as smooth as it should be. I bought the car used so I don't know if the struts had been replaced and if they were the factory KYB's or not. I was quoted $150 for strut installation and $50 for an alignment. So my total for all will be $700. Is that a good total price? What would the Lexus Dealer charge? Thanks.

thats freaking crazy

i boguht my 2 struts monroe shocks

for like 120 for two of them

their good to.

my machanic out them both on for 100$$.

all i did was pull my seat and the cardboard thing off from the back window.

nothing to it really.

thats freaking crazy

i boguht my 2 struts monroe shocks

for like 120 for two of them

their good to.

my machanic out them both on for 100$$.

all i did was pull my seat and the cardboard thing off from the back window.

nothing to it really.

Crazy in a good way? It was 700 for 4 struts, 4 strut mounts, installation and an alignment. Strut mounts are almost as much as the struts. You can't really top KYB's for the smooth ride. They are OE on the vehicle.

that is a real good price for install and parts. you will not be disappointed. let them do it for that price.

lexus would prob charge $500 for labor, plus about $80 for an alignment

how much were the parts and from where? any other recommendations?

i have a 2000 es and have one bad rear strut (weeping), but some noise, mainly up front.

i figure i need upper bearing mounts and should probably do 4 struts. 126k mi.

there's a balance somewhere between a great price and rolling around on the ground for a few hours.

maybe it's worth it, maybe not depends on the individual.

also a sense of accomplishment if you do it. i don't think it's that difficult, but do i wanna do it?

if i can save a few hundred, maybe that's cash spent elsewhere.

thanks-

how much were the parts and from where? any other recommendations?

i have a 2000 es and have one bad rear strut (weeping), but some noise, mainly up front.

i figure i need upper bearing mounts and should probably do 4 struts. 126k mi.

there's a balance somewhere between a great price and rolling around on the ground for a few hours.

maybe it's worth it, maybe not depends on the individual.

also a sense of accomplishment if you do it. i don't think it's that difficult, but do i wanna do it?

if i can save a few hundred, maybe that's cash spent elsewhere.

thanks-

from www.ajusa.com the 4 struts and strut mounts(including bearings) shipped were $500