Avic D3

kimkylejay

hey ocean.... did you keep using the factory amps with the avic.... and does it sound as good or does it sound better than stock.... just wondering cuz i'm about to do this and i don't want it to lead to having to replace all the other speakers and all that...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant your amps. I think the noise is coming in there. Either the stock amp or the aftermarket one your running. Did you install them or were they installed by someone else? You need a pretty hefty line off the battery for all that power. I can show your a pic of mine later.

I'm still running the stock amp for the system, and I don't think I touched it at all. Just what's coming from it/going to it using the metra interface. I'm running an aftermarket amp for my subs, but I don't think that'd cause the noise. Does the stock amp have it's own ground wire that I should try and reground? Or is it one of those two wires I pictured? I don't actually know what the ground wire that goes to the metra is grounding.

I wish I knew more about this stuff, I'm probably just being confusing haha. Where's the stock amp at? :lol:

hey ocean.... did you keep using the factory amps with the avic.... and does it sound as good or does it sound better than stock.... just wondering cuz i'm about to do this and i don't want it to lead to having to replace all the other speakers and all that...

I stuck with the stock amp for the AVIC, and I think it sounds wayyyyyyy better than before, but I only got to hear the system through a tape adaptor + mp3 player. I never actually got to hear what CDs sounded like until the AVIC. The friend I talked to about installing it said if I bypassed the amp and replaced all of the speakers that the system would probably sound quieter than it did stock. I didn't really like that idea, so I went the metra route instead. I guess if you replaced the amp/speakers that it'd sound pretty great though, but that = $$$ I don't have.

Sorry I keep missing your IMs flop!

well, heres a way to find out. disconnect your aftermarket amp. and then turn on the stereo and listen. If it goes away, then its that amp. If you still have the noise, it's not. So next, pull your glove box out. There are two tabs you pull inward ----> <----- on each hinge of the glove box door. Behind that is the ac cabin filter, look to your right on the side and you'll see a metal box, that's the factory amp. Reach in and disconnect it and turn on the stereo with the aftermarket amp on. noise? or no? And I'm wondering if that wire off the metra has to be grounded??? Or manybe needs to be grounded to something else.

so the metra is only if you're gonna keep the stock amps????? what do i need to buy... the avic itself, the double din mounting kit, and the metra harness??? is that it???

yeah the metra is only if you're gonna keep the stock amp I think. So you'll need that, the avic, and the faceplate thing.. I was able to find mine at circuit city actually for 20 bucks... but JDM sells one for like 50 something. Is your IS an 01? or higher?

well, heres a way to find out. disconnect your aftermarket amp. and then turn on the stereo and listen. If it goes away, then its that amp. If you still have the noise, it's not. So next, pull your glove box out. There are two tabs you pull inward ----> <----- on each hinge of the glove box door. Behind that is the ac cabin filter, look to your right on the side and you'll see a metal box, that's the factory amp. Reach in and disconnect it and turn on the stereo with the aftermarket amp on. noise? or no? And I'm wondering if that wire off the metra has to be grounded??? Or manybe needs to be grounded to something else.

Thanks smooth I'll try that tomorrow and see what I can find out. That's a good checklist :)

it's an 02

you'll be okay then. I had to do something extra with 2 wires that they fixed in the 02.

I *fixed* the problem... I figured that maybe the ground wire was too long and shortened it up and grounded it behind the stereo again. The sound is nearly gone, and I think it's to the point where I'm just gonna have to live with a little whining. I'll just tell people it's my turbo :whistles:

it's an 02

you'll be okay then. I had to do something extra with 2 wires that they fixed in the 02.

I *fixed* the problem... I figured that maybe the ground wire was too long and shortened it up and grounded it behind the stereo again. The sound is nearly gone, and I think it's to the point where I'm just gonna have to live with a little whining. I'll just tell people it's my turbo :whistles:

LMAO!!! Yeah, tell em you have to drive with the brake on because you keep breaking passengers necks with the sudden G force pulls. LOL!!!!

You might wanna beef up the ground off the alternator and battery also. That might be where the rest of the noise is coming from.The AVIC draws more power than the stock radio. The extra power draw may be taxing the voltage load of the car. I have a Hyper ground kit on my car, along with the Hyper voltage system. The Hyper ground kit beefed up all the ground wires from 8 gauge wires to 14 gauge oxygen free, gold capped cables.

it's an 02

LMAO!!! Yeah, tell em you have to drive with the brake on because you keep breaking passengers necks with the sudden G force pulls. LOL!!!!

You might wanna beef up the ground off the alternator and battery also. That might be where the rest of the noise is coming from.The AVIC draws more power than the stock radio. The extra power draw may be taxing the voltage load of the car. I have a Hyper ground kit on my car, along with the Hyper voltage system. The Hyper ground kit beefed up all the ground wires from 8 gauge wires to 14 gauge oxygen free, gold capped cables.

speaking of G force pulls.. have you done the AVIC G force thing yet smooth? how much pull do you get? haha that thing is neato

how hard would beefing up the alternator ground be? that sounds like it could be a problem, and it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to make it better. what's the price on it?

If your just going to do the alt. and bat. then you can just get some heavy gauge wire at a local audio shop and just switch em out. The Hyper ground kit I got from a distributor, but I think I saw one like the one I have at L-Tuned. I think it was about a hundred bucks. But that kit beefs up the entire ground system for the car.

hey ocean! i got the AVIC!!!!! woot woot!!! and i love it!!! i just have to get a new phone so i can use the bluetooth part.... oh and i you know anyone that needs a pioneer backup camera i got one for sale!!!!! :D ....only thing we had to do an amp bypass cuz the neither harness car toys had would work..... and the metra was on backorder :( ....but it really didn't make that much difference in sound..... it made the rear speakers louder and the front a little bit quieter... just gives me and excuse to get an amp and some components eh??? bwahahahahahahaa.... and the ipod is coming for christmas!!!!! woohoo!!!!!

I don't know if we can believe you,,,,,I mean,,Heyoceanfloor, do you see any proof of owning an AVIC? Yeah, me either. I was called about one, We have talked about one,,,,,,,but I don't know............................................LOL!!!!!!!!!

:) Das wat I'm talkin bout!!!! Yo Flop,,,,,,,Welcome to the luxury suite. LOL!!!

Yeah man. Look great bro. You will not regret that at all!!!! As time goes by and you learn all the cool things it can do, it's just amazing that people pay 2-3k for a stock system upgrade that isn't half of what the AVIC is !!!!! If they only knew how ripped off they were getting!!!

And the finish looks great to me. You had mentioned how you weren't sure about the finish of the face plate. Looks like they used the same install kit I used. I think it looks as stock as it can just about get.

42 degrees!!!!!!!! DAYUM!!!!! Das COOLDDD!!!! it was 83 dgrees today here in Orlando.

i'm telling ya.... i'm feezing my balls off over here.... in texas.... i mean wtf!!!!!?? you watch tomorrow it will be in the 80s... or something stupid like that.... lol... only state in the world that you need an umbrella, a coat, and a swimsuit all in the same day.... lol

well flop and i were talking, and this thread has officially become the AVIC owners club. now we're all ballin! haha. that's a good looking install too, i agree with smooth. it's about as stock as it gets right there :)

pssh 81?! i wish! it was 14 degrees here when i came home last night.

ipod for the flopster!!!! Dude, you will never go back to cd's again!!

Don't forget to set the avic to charge the ipod while connected, so you never even have to recharge or worry about the ipod battery dying on you. And on your ipod, go to the video menu and select video out. That way you can watch movies from the ipod on the avic.

The ipod/avic combo is just way to awsome...Your gonna love it. Ya'll can thank me. B)

• 2 months later...
Will it fit right if it is done proper?

How much work does it take to get it to have the factory fit/look?

And to those who have done this b4 how cool does it look in your ride?

dude no extra work to make it fit.. it just fits... and it matches up with the factory look just fine... .and i friggin love it just fine.... anddddddddddd..... did i mention i love it!!! best thing i've bought so far!!!

The Avic for the money is the best head unit out there. It does everything, and does it well. Looks great. It has Nav, plays movies while driving, plays and controls your Ipod, runs another monitor, plays every music format, Sirius, XFM, 8 track player, and has 4 different coffee brew settings. It has Bluetooth and back up camera with auto reverse on, it even changes red traffic lights to green upon approach!!! But that is an additional accessory and needs to be set up by a proffessional.

You do have to be careful though. If you hit menu, then select nav while turning up the volume at the same time, the car could blow up, so I've heard anyway.

So to sum it up, it's the best unit out there. Period. It's gonna take some time for the rest of the mfgrs to catch up to the Avic.

The Avic for the money is the best head unit out there. It does everything, and does it well. Looks great. It has Nav, plays movies while driving, plays and controls your Ipod, runs another monitor, plays every music format, Sirius, XFM, 8 track player, and has 4 different coffee brew settings. It has Bluetooth and back up camera with auto reverse on, it even changes red traffic lights to green upon approach!!! But that is an additional accessory and needs to be set up by a proffessional.

You do have to be careful though. If you hit menu, then select nav while turning up the volume at the same time, the car could blow up, so I've heard anyway.

So to sum it up, it's the best unit out there. Period. It's gonna take some time for the rest of the mfgrs to catch up to the Avic.

ROFLMAO......