Radio Repair

dery45

I have a 1996 LS400 The radio display on the radio is fine. But none of the buttons nor the display back lights will come on. It's not a problem during the day, but a night I can't see a thing.

Any Help will be appreciated,

Thanks,

Brad

Buy one HU from ebay. Simply replace it. To fix it will cost more.

I have a 1996 LS400 The radio display on the radio is fine. But none of the buttons nor the display back lights will come on. It's not a problem during the day, but a night I can't see a thing.

Thanks,

Brad

It is very odd that none of the lights in the radio are working. The button lights usually fail independently, or at least they did on my gen 1 LS. It is almost like the signal from the dash light rheostat dial isn't making it to your radio. Trying another head unit is not a bad idea if you can get one really cheap, although you might end up with a another 11 year old head unit with problems.

You don't happen to have a friend with a similar year (95-97) Lexus, do you. Exchanging head units can be done in under 15 minutes if you know what you are doing.

Thanks,

Brad

dery45, If you want a 100% working headunit, I can get one for you.

• 1 month later...

I have a '95 LS and like the author of this thread, I also have some issues with my radio.

The radio's back light is not working, which is a pain at night.

The LED crystals are intermittent, meaning that with considerable effort, I can eventually figure out what station I am listening to.

Lexus wants $550 for a new head unit.

I am pricing out head units from junk yards and that is my preferred way to go if I can get a good price.

Luckily, it is not something that needs immediate attention since it still sounds great, but any advice here would be appreciated.

edit: I read the sticky on the top of the page and will call the guys that are listed that fix radios.

Ok i know exactly whats happening to your backlight. Over time one of the resistors on the primary control board comes lose. All you have to do is add some extra soder to the connection points and you have your self a working back light. Wheres the pcb you ask? YOu have to take your radio apart. The PCB is the board the carries all your connections to outside lines. (WHere everything plugs in) Where are the resistors you ask? THey are located along the edge of the pcb on the same edge as the plug ins. THey look like 2mm by 3mm squares, black, and have 1A0 marked on them. Soder the edges and put everthing back together, and you have your radio back.