P21s Versus Meguiar's Nxt

After reading lots of information on this forum, I decided to go with the P21 line of products and Poorboy's EX as a sealant. So, after ordering my detailing supplies from Pakshak, I couldn't wait to give them a try on our new '07 IS250 (Smokey Granite). A few of my co-workers have been praising Meguiar's NXT paste wax, so I thought I would do a little experiment.

After washing and drying, I clay bared the entire trunk using Clay Magic Detailing Clay Bar (Fine Grade) and quick detailing spray (I wanted to work in a small area to make the visual comparison easier). Then I polished/cleaned only halve the trunk using P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. I noticed the difference between the two halves immediately - the polished site was definitely slicker and wetter looking. I then applied a sealant to just halve of the polished area - Poorboy's EX Sealant with carnauba. The entire polished side then received a coat of P21S Carnauba Paste Wax. I split the unpolished side, with halve receiving a coat of P21S Carnauba Paste Wax, and the other halve receiving a coat of the Meguiar's NXT paste wax. All of this was done by hand - no PC. For the polish I used a microfiber-over-foam applicator (Detailers Paradise Skinny Foam Applicator Pad) and all others got their own new foam applicator (Micropak Yellow Foam Applicator Pad). Each treatment was buffed off with its own microfiber towel.

The Results - As you can see by the attached photo, visually there is no difference between any of the treatments. However, the part that received the Meguiar's was definitely slicker to the touch - and that was just the synthetic wax with no other treatment. Very impressive. All three areas that received the P21S wax felt the same - don't get me wrong, they all felt slick, but just not a slick as the NXT. To be certain I had my wife and neighbor evaluate the finish, not knowing how many treatments or location of each. Both of them agreed there was no visual difference and both picked out exactly where the NXT was applied by touch. Being new to detailing, I realize that technique is a big factor, but with the NXT producing as good or better results than the other treatments combined, I am rethinking which to use long term. Of course, this doesn't speak to the issue of durability - basically the NXT versus Poorboy's EX, since P21S is a show wax and won't last more than a few weeks.

post-49862-1190660222_thumb.jpg

Daily commuter - I then decided to clay, polish and wax our 94 Accord daily commuter using the Meguiar's NXT. Wow, the car looks better than the day we bought it. And as a side benefit, the NXT goes on and off as easier than any other wax I have used in the past. See the results for yourself.

post-49862-1190660268_thumb.jpg

Bottom Line - For those of you without a lot of time (and a big detailing budget), Meguiar's NXT Tech Paste Wax should be in your detailing toolkit.

Bottom Line - For those of you without a lot of time (and a big detailing budget), Meguiar's NXT Tech Paste Wax should be in your detailing toolkit.

hold on--not so quick. NXT has a great look--no doubt about that. However, many users find the longevity of NXT to be quite lacking. As a compromise, when I use NXT, I will let it cure for 24 hrs and then coat with an acrylic sealer like OptiSeal.

I'd be curious to get an update comparison in a few weeks!

hold on--not so quick. NXT has a great look--no doubt about that. However, many users find the longevity of NXT to be quite lacking. As a compromise, when I use NXT, I will let it cure for 24 hrs and then coat with an acrylic sealer like OptiSeal.

I'd be curious to get an update comparison in a few weeks!

For the IS, longevity really isn't an issue for us - it is only our weekend ride. The daily commuter is another story though, and I will be tracking how long it lasts. After your post on Optiseal I found another detailing forum that specializes in the Optimum product line. Lots of interesting information up there, including the fact that OptiSeal is a cross-linking polymer and not an acrylic!

Here is a link: http://optimumforums.org/index.php?act=idx

He's becoming a real Autopian detailer ladies and gentlemen LOL.

I've always been impressed by NXT as a one step too, but new2mud is correct I've had issues with durability and staining of trim.

Right - next I will be dispensing advice! Whoops, I guess I already did on the NXT! LOL

Actually, when I decided to learn more about how to protect our new IS250 I had no idea there were such an array of impressive and exotic coatings one can use on paint. I thought a good wash and quality wax was about all there was. There is huge amount of information on the web, but it takes a lot of time to filter out the wheat from the chafe, so to speak. LOC is the best.

I really love this forum, since there seems to be a real range of expertise; from newbie's, with lots of questions like me, to professional detailers. It creates a great mix!

BTW - How do most people protect the trim when applying wax or sealants?

I love the nxt because it does not leave a residue on trim (atleast on mine) .

I just clay bar'd my entire LS last night and then NXT waxed it in 2 hours total. It used to take me 3 hours to wax a car alone.

I have used NXT for a few months and it really shines nice , it is not the greatest at scratch filling. It lasts 3 months but since i started using ultimate detailer and speed shine(?) it lasts longer and looks better every time. These products keep it beading and lasting longer as well as a deeper shine each time.

Hands down for $13 at an American Wal mart it is a steal for what it does and the time it saves.

In Canada it is $28

BTW I use my clay bar to remove odd wax residue on trim.