Driving In Ect Snow Rx300

LexKid630

Going from the Rx350 back to the Rx300 as my main vehicle, i noticed something... I'm sure it's normal, but i just noticed it lately :unsure: While driving in slow traffic, the transmission seems to "catch" and "jolt" whenever you press on the gas. If you were crusing at 15mph, then pressed the gas to increase speed, you'd feel a small "jolt"...

If you press the ECT SNOW button, you don't get this jolt. My question is, is it bad for the transmission to leave the ECT SNOW button on when you're in slow traffic for an extended period of time?

Better yet, is it ok to leave the button pressed in all the time? I hear all it does is start the transmission in 2nd gear instead of 1st gear (prevents slipping from 0mph while in snow), so would it matter if it's on while driving at high speeds? I'd imagine there's more damge being done during that "jolt" than in the extra time keeping it in 2nd... no?

Thanks. Also, is it ok to have the OD off while staying under a certain speed on residential roads etc? At what speed does it need to shift into overdrive? I notice the car rev's differently when it's OFF vs. ON even at low speeds...

Just trying to keep the transmission going longer! 81,000 miles and the fluid still looks fairly red and smells normal.

03 rx300 AWD

Unless you are in snow, I wouldnt select the ECT positon. Turning overdrive off however does not hurt the car, just increases engine speed and stops the dreaded searching for overdrive in city slow traffic. I have actually instructed my wife to turn the overdrive off while going through the city at stop and go traffic. Mileage goes down a little, maybe 1mpg but big deal, I feel the tranny is not doing such a workout trying to save fuel while going slow... by the way I used the ECT button while up at Tahoe, and left it on and was going faster than 50MPH and when I stop there was a definite burning smell (not good) Read the book and they do not recommend above 50 while in this position. It may be slower than 50 but I remember whatever it was I was going to fast. I think it is in the owners manual....

It is my understanding of the ECT button that you are essentially starting out in second gear to avoid wheel spin during acceleration in snowy/slippery conditons. And, above a certain speed (don't remember the number that the dealer told me) having the ECT button down doesn't do a darn thing. If those comments are correct, then driving around with the ECT on for a short time shouldn't be a problem.

Gary

'05 330 AWD

It is my understanding of the ECT button that you are essentially starting out in second gear to avoid wheel spin during acceleration in snowy/slippery conditons. And, above a certain speed (don't remember the number that the dealer told me) having the ECT button down doesn't do a darn thing. If those comments are correct, then driving around with the ECT on for a short time shouldn't be a problem.

Gary

'05 330 AWD

It is expected, or so I would believe, that in ECT mode the driver would not operate the vehicle aggressively. So, in ECT mode were you to be drive aggressively the transaxle might be damaged in the long term.

That being said I'm pretty sure the engine torque curve is also modified downward in ECT mode, at least it appeared so in my GS300.