'04, Es330 Tires ?

Simon

My '04 came with Bridgestone Turenza tires that lasted 18,000.0 miles.---Good Tires, but short on tread life--

The Dealer replaced them with Michelin MXV4 -Plus, Tires--(tires say M & S on Sidewall) but dealer says they are All Season-which are also identified, as such, on the Michelin web site.

My wife an I feel that they "whine" . Dealer checked them and says --all is OK--. I drove other Lexus models , with "Eagles" and they whine worse.

Question... Have others had similiar problems, on their Lexus, with Noisy tires ??

Or is it me ?

• 2 months later...

I had Toyo proxes as oe total crap 11K worn out .yokohama AVID v4s excellent but lasted 18K changing to Yokohama YK520s all yokos have 60K warranty buy from Discount tires and all these yokos have 60K treadwear warrant on v rated tires superb if you wear em out b4 the 60K you get credit for exchange at discount tires . ill report on the YK520s shortly

Tires are very important on a Lexus, the ride is much more dependent on the tires than something like say a Cadillac or Lincoln is.

The MXV4s are probably some of the quietest tires you can buy. What PSI are they aired to?>

• 1 month later...

I'm still beating this tire Noise thing.

I've tried various pressures. 32 to start. Michelin dealer suggested 35. Tried that. Then went to 30 (less noise) Now I'm trying 29 as suggested by manufacturer.

The Tires are just Noisy

Maybe it, really is my ears.

Car rides and handles well. According to most everyone these tires are the better of the bunch available.

• 2 weeks later...
My '04 came with Bridgestone Turenza tires that lasted 18,000.0 miles.---Good Tires, but short on tread life--

The Dealer replaced them with Michelin MXV4 -Plus, Tires--(tires say M & S on Sidewall) but dealer says they are All Season-which are also identified, as such, on the Michelin web site.

My wife an I feel that they "whine" . Dealer checked them and says --all is OK--. I drove other Lexus models , with "Eagles" and they whine worse.

Question... Have others had similiar problems, on their Lexus, with Noisy tires ??

Or is it me ?

What wheel size are folks talking about here? If I am correct from other post readings and general tire/wheel knowledge - rim size makes a difference here, as well as tire type, with 17 inchers likely to wear tread faster than 16 inchers.

My question - Just bought a used 05 ES330 which has the 17 inch alloys on it. Dealer will put new tires on for me as per the Lexus precertified requirements for tire tread wear. I am not sure yet what they standardly replace with, but I know the original new 05 ES's come with option on the 17 inch wheels of either an all-season or a summer tire. Does anyone have comments in general of tread wear with the usually supplied summer tire vs all-season, and with 16 inch vs 17 inch wheels? I am in Boston, so kind of have to ask for the all-seasons (unless I opt for a seperate set of snows for the winter).

[silver 05 ES330 with usual equipment]

What wheel size are folks talking about here? If I am correct from other post readings and general tire/wheel knowledge - rim size makes a difference here, as well as tire type, with 17 inchers likely to wear tread faster than 16 inchers.

My question - Just bought a used 05 ES330 which has the 17 inch alloys on it. Dealer will put new tires on for me as per the Lexus precertified requirements for tire tread wear. I am not sure yet what they standardly replace with, but I know the original new 05 ES's come with option on the 17 inch wheels of either an all-season or a summer tire. Does anyone have comments in general of tread wear with the usually supplied summer tire vs all-season, and with 16 inch vs 17 inch wheels? I am in Boston, so kind of have to ask for the all-seasons (unless I opt for a seperate set of snows for the winter).

I too just picked up my 2005 ES 330 yesterday (absolutely everything including the AVS suspension, but no Nav)....the car has the 17" alloys (215 55 17) & the tires are fairly new but they replaced them with the OE Bridgestone Turanza EL 42's.....to be blunt.....these tires on anything but dry pavemenet are worthless & complete garbage.

When I have the funds, I will be going with a set of Goodyear Triple Treads (H speed rating which is fine for a vehicle like the ES, even though they put a V speed rated tire on it). The Michelin's are a good choice as well....but the TT's have better overall wet & winter traction with a longer treadlife and are less expensive.

I personally will pass on a second set of winter tires & rims as If the weather is that bad.....I will just take my wife's Subaru Forester with full time AWD with the Triple Treads. ;)

:cheers:

I too just picked up my 2005 ES 330 yesterday (absolutely everything including the AVS suspension, but no Nav)....the car has the 17" alloys (215 55 17) & the tires are fairly new but they replaced them with the OE Bridgestone Turanza EL 42's.....to be blunt.....these tires on anything but dry pavemenet are worthless & complete garbage.

When I have the funds, I will be going with a set of Goodyear Triple Treads (H speed rating which is fine for a vehicle like the ES, even though they put a V speed rated tire on it). The Michelin's are a good choice as well....but the TT's have better overall wet & winter traction with a longer treadlife and are less expensive.

I personally will pass on a second set of winter tires & rims as If the weather is that bad.....I will just take my wife's Subaru Forester with full time AWD with the Triple Treads. ;)

Congrats - I hear you! They have'nt put my new tires on yet - I wish I could have some say in what tires they put on or get some sort of credit and just put my own on, but I am sure they buy a bunch of OEM replacements that they keep in stock so they will proably use theirs. If they are crap in snow, I might think about using them just in the summer and invest in some good treaded snows for winter, but will see. I too, like you, have a wife with a Subie (Outback) which I can use if needed if we really have big time snow and the lexus is stranded.

Congrats - I hear you! They have'nt put my new tires on yet - I wish I could have some say in what tires they put on or get some sort of credit and just put my own on, but I am sure they buy a bunch of OEM replacements that they keep in stock so they will proably use theirs. If they are crap in snow, I might think about using them just in the summer and invest in some good treaded snows for winter, but will see. I too, like you, have a wife with a Subie (Outback) which I can use if needed if we really have big time snow and the lexus is stranded.

Agreed boston.....but don't expect the credit though......just be careful in the snow or take the outback. B) Sadly, Lexus (and most automakers) gear their tire choices for fuel economy (low rolling resistance) & a quieter ride as opposed to optimum traction & long treadlife.

I do not have an 04, like the rich people but my 98 has Toyo TPT's on her. Going on over 45K and will last about 50K miles max. Nice tire for the price but crap in the snow.

Been there done that with the Proxes TPT's....they started off pretty good in the first winter I had em, but downhill after that lol.

I do not have an 04, like the rich people but my 98 has Toyo TPT's on her. Going on over 45K and will last about 50K miles max. Nice tire for the price but crap in the snow.

Been there done that with the Proxes TPT's....they started off pretty good in the first winter I had em, but downhill after that lol.

Lexusfreak, is this your 2nd (or 3rd) Es that you just bought then? What exactly is the OM tire that the ES330 comes with new? is it a bridgestone?

I'll see how it goes this winter, and might just invest in a set of snow tires for the winter if needed.

Agreed boston.....but don't expect the credit though......just be careful in the snow or take the outback. B) Sadly, Lexus (and most automakers) gear their tire choices for fuel economy (low rolling resistance) & a quieter ride as opposed to optimum traction & long treadlife.

Yeah, I guess since I'll be stuck with whatever dealership all-season tire they put on, I'll have to see how it goes this winter. If I hvae trouble, I could always invest in some winters - my preliminary research is that Michelin X-ice would be nice :)

Lexusfreak, is this your 2nd (or 3rd) Es that you just bought then? What exactly is the OM tire that the ES330 comes with new? is it a bridgestone?

I'll see how it goes this winter, and might just invest in a set of snow tires for the winter if needed.

This is my second ES. Not sure about the U.S. but the 17's in Canada were equipped with Bridgestone Turanza EL 42's as OE (and the previous owner replaced them with the same as the tires are pretty much brand new.....but still aweful in anything but dry pavement). Check out the ratings here from tirerack...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=H

These are not the be all & end all of tire ratings however......more of personal opinions, but I do concur with most of the comments.

I can't wait to get these things off.

This is my second ES. Not sure about the U.S. but the 17's in Canada were equipped with Bridgestone Turanza EL 42's as OE (and the previous owner replaced them with the same as the tires are pretty much brand new.....but still aweful in anything but dry pavement). Check out the ratings here from tirerack...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=H

These are not the be all & end all of tire ratings however......more of personal opinions, but I do concur with most of the comments.

I can't wait to get these things off.

I wish the dealer would at least give me some Michelin Pilots or similar......

It doesen't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. :whistles:

Another idea is when you get new tires, keep the old ones & sell them.....that way you get a few $$ back at least.

It doesen't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. :whistles:

Another idea is when you get new tires, keep the old ones & sell them.....that way you get a few $$ back at least.

True - I could just take the Bridgestones right off and then sell them on ebay as "virtually new"! then get whatever I want on them.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for all-season tires which they have liked on their 02-06 ES330?

My two choices in an all season would be either the Goodyear Triple Tread (a good chance that's what I will be going with from past experience) or the Yokohama Avid H4S/V4S. Both can be found on tirerack.

The OEM was the Turanza EL42. The dealers sell tires, they should have a selection of tires in stock. Ask them.

As for reccomendations. I have Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs on my car and they are an excellent tire. Bridgestone discontinued them recently though.

If I were buying tires for it right now I probably would choose the new Michelin Primacy MXV4. IMHO the TripleTreads are too aggressive a tire for the ES.

The OEM was the Turanza EL42. The dealers sell tires, they should have a selection of tires in stock. Ask them.

IMHO the TripleTreads are too aggressive a tire for the ES.

Not for winter conditions they aren't Steve. ;) And my experience with them on my previous ES as well as 2 Subaru Foresters.....all the talk about them being loud is not true.....Still have not owned a better tire in the rain though.

At least I think we can agree that the Turanza EL42's are not a very good OE tire for good traction. :)

But I think you can find tires with excellent winter traction with less agressive, quieter, non-directional tread patterns. They may not be LOUD, but they are loudER than more sedate tires like the MXV4s, the LS-Vs, etc etc.

I don't know why Bridgestone discontinued the LS line, mine are great.

But I think you can find tires with excellent winter traction with less agressive, quieter, non-directional tread patterns. They may not be LOUD, but they are loudER than more sedate tires like the MXV4s, the LS-Vs, etc etc.

I don't know why Bridgestone discontinued the LS line, mine are great.

Fair enough Steve (gotta love these tire debates again huh bud? I think I can hear steviej rolling his eyes again! :whistles: ) lol...but I'll take the TT's in a bad snow/ice storm over the others personally. No arguement the others will be slightly quieter.....just look at the tread designs.

Did Bridgestone replace the LS-V's with anything?

IMHO the TripleTreads are too aggressive a tire for the ES.

Not for winter conditions they aren't Steve. ;) And my experience with them on my previous ES as well as 2 Subaru Foresters.....all the talk about them being loud is not true.....Still have not owned a better tire in the rain though.

At least I think we can agree that the Turanza EL42's are not a very good OE tire for good traction. :)

Lexusfreak, do you use the triple threads yearround? Without having had a car with the triple threads (but having driven cars with the MXV4's before), I think that the triple threads would certainly do better in the Boston winters, but if someone was using a tire yearround, the MXV4s may work out better all around - ie sacrifice a bit of winter traction for better summer ride and performance)

Lexusfreak, do you use the triple threads yearround? Without having had a car with the triple threads (but having driven cars with the MXV4's before), I think that the triple threads would certainly do better in the Boston winters, but if someone was using a tire yearround, the MXV4s may work out better all around - ie sacrifice a bit of winter traction for better summer ride and performance)

I use the TT's year round yes.....and yes to the better winter traction over the Michelins (which I have also had on previous vehicles).

Also keep in mind that the TT's have quite a bit longer of a treadlife. :)