Auto Door Lock

Can someone explains the sense for the factory default setting to automatically trap all passengers in the car until the gear is shift to "Park"?? I've seen it in other cars as well, but the whole paranoic approach where one can not even enter a destination while driving, and at the same time significantly increasing the risk of injury or death by trapping the passengers in case of an accident does not make any sense. I know the manual states that it automatically unlock in an accident, but would you trust it? It is not hard to imagine a situation where the gear is still on drive but passengers can not escape and outside helpers can not open the doors.

Of course the settings can be changed, but how many would be aware of it and bother asking the dealer to change the default settings?

Ramy

i agree that auto locks are annoying and seem prison like to me, however most dealers include a list of personal settings that can be changed to suit the owners needs, i was advised to have it done at the first oil change so i could take some time to decide what i liked. my dealer will change those settings anytime you are in for service at no charge.

Can someone explains the sense for the factory default setting to automatically trap all passengers in the car until the gear is shift to "Park"?? I've seen it in other cars as well, but the whole paranoic approach where one can not even enter a destination while driving, and at the same time significantly increasing the risk of injury or death by trapping the passengers in case of an accident does not make any sense. I know the manual states that it automatically unlock in an accident, but would you trust it? It is not hard to imagine a situation where the gear is still on drive but passengers can not escape and outside helpers can not open the doors.

Of course the settings can be changed, but how many would be aware of it and bother asking the dealer to change the default settings?

Ramy

While I can understand the annoyance, let me make a suggestion that you review the 'settings' options and get your dealer to set it to the one which best suits you and your family. I initially didn't like the 'automatic lock and unlock' option until I tried it and could see the advantages and then set it that way myself (using the instructions provided in the manual). Now comes the important part! You and your family should review and practice manually locking/unlocking the doors! I repeat, you should acquaint, test, practice regularly the manual procedure for locking/unlocking the doors! :rolleyes: I am reminded of the man who came upon a 'blonde' ( :chairshot: shame on me) crying in a shopping mall parking lot. She explained that she'd been so stupid as to ignore the weak battery in her car remote opener for several weeks and now it had failed completely. She asked him if he would take her to a nearby store to get a new battery. He asked for her remote (w/keys) and using the key, unlocked her door and suggested she drive herself over to get the battery replaced! :rolleyes:

We all find ourselves dependent on too many things that don't require brain usage. Ask one of your favorite fast food cashiers to make change without their computer controlled register and you're apt to get shorted or make a buck or two! :lol:

I had this feature changed at my first service, because I just didn't like it. However, I believe the purpose is to prevent a bad person from opening your door and entering your vehicle while stopped at a red light or stop sign.

Tom

Personally, I like the auto lock feature. I understand that its for security purposes, and I think of it as such. One hears about someone stopped at a red light and someone just jumps in a car all the time. Those that don't like it, its easily disabled in the menus with nav, or through the dealer free of charge via LPS. And on the note of being worried that it may keep you from opening your doors after an accident, break the glass or manually unlock the door. Chances are if the accident is that serious to begin with, the only thing that will open the door is "the jaws of life." It's almost like the people that say they don't want power windows because they may fail if the car runs off a bridge in to a river. Just my opinion folks.

Although I'm not a paranoid person, I just don't like a car locking me in. I had the dealer change it on my first service. It still unlocks (if locked) when put into "park," but it doesn't automatically lock. Often, when going near a questionable neighborhood, or in the wee hours of the morning, I'll lock the doors myself. I just don't like the car doing it.

Btw, my dealer did the first settings changes for free, but any more are chargeable (at $50 per occurrence, I think).

Although I'm not a paranoid person, I just don't like a car locking me in. I had the dealer change it on my first service. It still unlocks (if locked) when put into "park," but it doesn't automatically lock. Often, when going near a questionable neighborhood, or in the wee hours of the morning, I'll lock the doors myself. I just don't like the car doing it.

Btw, my dealer did the first settings changes for free, but any more are chargeable (at $50 per occurrence, I think).

Anything a Lexus dealer does for $50 is a bargain.

Tom