Oil Filter

Tyler121

i was just wondering why the oil filter is in such a ridiculous position, i mean i enjoy changing my own oil, but is there any better way in taking it off, i mean i get oil all over the place and if you dont get every bit off, it burns. please help!

There is a trick. You can put a plastic bag on the filter before it leaks as you unscrew it and let it fall into the bag when it is off.

One of those greenie hated multi purpose veratile supermarket plastic bags.

If you are doing your own changes you have got the time to let the sump oil drain so waiting for the filter to leak out also is a valid option. Remove the ignition keys or even better hang a note on the steering wheel, "No oil".

A few sheets of old newspaper under the car to catch the spills.

I agree, the oil filter (although in a convenient spot) is at a ridiculous angle. I'm not 100% where you guys' is, but mine's front and center, right underneath half of the exhaust manifold pointing about 30 degrees upward - 97 ES300. Well, a slight upward angle doesn't mean I'm not going to drip oil all over the place. I just go for it and sop up what I can after it's all done...Then smoke down the highway for about 10 miles, haha.

• 1 month later...

I pull the dip stick out just enough to vent the crankcase then remove the drain plug and let the pan and internals drain down. Allow about 20 minutes for the filter to drain down while the engine drains out. This is the best way to eliminate spillage unless you're in a big hurry. This method works so well on my son's Camry I have yet to spill a drop removing the filter.

I pull the dip stick out just enough to vent the crankcase then remove the drain plug and let the pan and internals drain down. Allow about 20 minutes for the filter to drain down while the engine drains out. This is the best way to eliminate spillage unless you're in a big hurry. This method works so well on my son's Camry I have yet to spill a drop removing the filter.

I usually let my car sit overnight then change oil and filter. Or I let it sit for a couple of hours, Or if I am in a hurry, I use geenie's suggestion of venting the engine (oil cap removed or dip stick pulled out) Or if I am in a BIG,BIG hurry, put a rag or something to absorb the oil under the filter as it is being removed.

When doing a service (on a lift mind you) I unscrew a few screws for the underside body plates and pull the filter. I don't care what spills because at the end of every filter change I spray everything down with brake cleaner and wipe it all down. Gets everything cleaner than before the change! Other technicians prefer the power washer, but brake clean does a better job. If it is the environment-friendly cartridge filter, oil get EVERYWHERE!!! But brake clean it. What sucks is the older styles where the filter is right ontop of the front motor count, you have to use the power washer for that, and the IS250's from a few years back... worst filter position EVER!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 95 camry that spewed oil on a filter change. If not cleaned well, it would smell for a while.

Not as much smell after a replacement header pipe, but still a mess. stupid on toyo's part.

My '00 ES300 has a hole in the engine mount that drains straight thru.

Drips into the drain pan. Makes an oil filter replacement much better.