Static Am Radio

LovemyRX300

Hello Everyone,

If you have any tip to fix the following problem with my 1999 RX300, please let me know - I am getting pretty frustrated with this!

For the past year or so, the AM stations have been getting full of static..Now it is to the point that I cannot hear any AM stations..FM works just fine..I hate to put another off-brand radio (moreover I am told the whole assembly will need to be changed)..My Lexus dealer tried tweaking a few things but it is still pretty bad - The static noise does increase with speed/acceleration so I am thinking may be the spark plugs/wires or the grounding???? I am not sure..

Otherwise, I love my RX..8 years..Still going strong!!!!

Appreciate any hint..

Thanks,

Radio signal interference is most prevelant on AM. Causes vary from poorly conected / coroded antennas, to changes in plug wires types, etc. For the best reception on AM one can go to an aftermarket / HD digital AM FM radion. The signal quality over analog radio is light years ahead.

• 4 months later...
Hello Everyone,

If you have any tip to fix the following problem with my 1999 RX300, please let me know - I am getting pretty frustrated with this!

For the past year or so, the AM stations have been getting full of static..Now it is to the point that I cannot hear any AM stations..FM works just fine..I hate to put another off-brand radio (moreover I am told the whole assembly will need to be changed)..My Lexus dealer tried tweaking a few things but it is still pretty bad - The static noise does increase with speed/acceleration so I am thinking may be the spark plugs/wires or the grounding???? I am not sure..

Otherwise, I love my RX..8 years..Still going strong!!!!

Appreciate any hint..

Thanks,

I have exactly the same problem with my 99 RX 300. The FM sounds fine - but the AM on virtually every station is just static. Did you get anywhere with it ? I took to dealer a few times and they talked about some antenna cable or isolator that would cost big dollars.

You definetly have a bad antenna connection or cable. It is a long run from the front of the car to the right rear corner, but something is loose or corroaded.

You definetly have a bad antenna connection or cable. It is a long run from the front of the car to the right rear corner, but something is loose or corroaded.

Any advice or ideas on how to check antenna cable -- short of taking to dealer.

• 1 year later...

Any advice or ideas on how to check antenna cable -- short of taking to dealer.

Hi, did you get anywhere with this issue? I have the same problem.

• 2 years later...

Only way I know to test the antenna is to unplug it from the radio. There are actually two antennas, one being some imbedded wires in the rear window. This one only works on FM, BTW. Part of the "diversity reception" for FM.

Grounding issues are most likely the culprit. The antenna needs to be securely fastened to the car frame or you'll get ignition noise. There is little chance that something in or on the engine is defective. It is most likely the antenna and/or its mounting.