Bushings

Ok. I have been searching the internet far and wide but cannot find an answer to this. When reversing if I hit the brakes I can hear and feel a decent clunk noise. I took it to a shop and was told that it was my control arm bushings but that replacement was not necessary if the problem did not bother me. Is this safe? Is the bushing failure just a nuisance and not a safety concern? My 1992 sc400 has roughly 215,000 mi. on it and it would ease my mind to know if I am safe in this car. Thanks.

i think if you dont change the control arm bushing then the control arm can bend over time and require a whole new control arm. just for you to know the aftermarket Daizen bushing kit is 100 for the front(both sides) and the upper control arms are 300 each! the rear are a little more but the bushings cannot be purchased at the dealer they only sell the whole arm. that might be why they told you that. but there is a post on the LS forum about a set of aftermarket control arms for about 200 for both sides. but i'd say get the Daizens a grease them up good!

• 4 weeks later...

If you bushings are shot the ride quality is going to suffer dramatically. You'll have more noise coming from the front suspension while driving. Its certaintly something you should change/replace. I personally went with the supra control arms. They are cheaper than the lexus arms. If the ball joints are shot then there is no point in replacing the bushings. I would just buy new supra control arms and be done with it. Haven't heard of lower control arms bending due to worn bushings.