2007 Gx470 No Cd Text On Nav Display

I just purchased a 2007 GX470 with the Navigation and Mark Levinson 6 Disc in glovebox CD changer. My wife noticed that none of her original CD's titles or song lists will display. I inserted over 30 new recently purchased CD's into the 6 disc changer and not a single CD's information will display.

This is my second GX470 and I don't recall this problem with my 2003 model. I also have a 2005 GS300 AWD that displays every CD's information and a 2001 Tacoma that also displays all the CD's information.

I returned to the dealership and they tried to tell me that all CD's are not encoded........I said hold up a second, I want to put all these CD's in that LS460 there and lo and behold every CD inserted was read properly, we then went to the GS and again all CD data was displayed. They then pulled up a similiarly equipped GX470 and to my amazement it did not display any of the CD's information.

They went and got their senior tech and his response was that in the GX470 only they are installing a 2003 version of the 6 disc CD changer..........Are you serious???????!!!! This thing plays CDs and DVDs....!!!! The technology to read CD information is like 1990. The Dealership tells me there is nothing they can do about this and that it is working properly as far as they are concerned.

I returned home and did an extensive Google search and turned up absolutely nothing on this.

The Dealership would like me to believe that I am the only customer to complain that my CD's data is not displayed. I find this very hard to believe that I would be the only person to own a GX470 that would complain about this. My Navigation display is set up to display this data. Are you telling me that during my entire ownership of this vehicle I will have to look at the two lines of text on the display that say NO DATA!!!!!

Please respond if anyone else out there is experiencing this problem. If indeed LEXUS's response is that they are using 2003 technology in my 2007 purchase and I just have to live with it I am extremely disappointed.

I still can not believe that I can't find a similiar complaint on the World Wide Web am I the only person with this problem?

I just purchased a 2007 GX470 with the Navigation and Mark Levinson 6 Disc in glovebox CD changer. My wife noticed that none of her original CD's titles or song lists will display. I inserted over 30 new recently purchased CD's into the 6 disc changer and not a single CD's information will display.

This is my second GX470 and I don't recall this problem with my 2003 model. I also have a 2005 GS300 AWD that displays every CD's information and a 2001 Tacoma that also displays all the CD's information.

I returned to the dealership and they tried to tell me that all CD's are not encoded........I said hold up a second, I want to put all these CD's in that LS460 there and lo and behold every CD inserted was read properly, we then went to the GS and again all CD data was displayed. They then pulled up a similiarly equipped GX470 and to my amazement it did not display any of the CD's information.

They went and got their senior tech and his response was that in the GX470 only they are installing a 2003 version of the 6 disc CD changer..........Are you serious???????!!!! This thing plays CDs and DVDs....!!!! The technology to read CD information is like 1990. The Dealership tells me there is nothing they can do about this and that it is working properly as far as they are concerned.

I returned home and did an extensive Google search and turned up absolutely nothing on this.

The Dealership would like me to believe that I am the only customer to complain that my CD's data is not displayed. I find this very hard to believe that I would be the only person to own a GX470 that would complain about this. My Navigation display is set up to display this data. Are you telling me that during my entire ownership of this vehicle I will have to look at the two lines of text on the display that say NO DATA!!!!!

Please respond if anyone else out there is experiencing this problem. If indeed LEXUS's response is that they are using 2003 technology in my 2007 purchase and I just have to live with it I am extremely disappointed.

I still can not believe that I can't find a similiar complaint on the World Wide Web am I the only person with this problem?

The CD player is functioning normally.

Only CD players and CDs with the CD TEXT logo will display artist and title information. Most of the CD TEXT albums were produced by Sony since they hold the patent on this technology. Its very likely that they elected not to pay the royalty since so few audio CDs were encoded withthe CD TEXT information.

The only other way is to use CD-Rs that have the ID3 tag information added to the burned CD-R. If you use popular programs like Windows Media Player or Nero the information is retrieved from the web and encoded onto the CD-R. Consequently, the information you desire will be visible.

Lastly, do not insert CD-Rs with adhesive labels. The labels are known to come unglued and jamn the CD player mechanism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

I heard this CD Text statement elsewhere on the web.

So If I take 6 CD's and put them in the 2005 GS300 the CD Title and Song are displayed, If I put them in the 2007 LS 460 the CD Title and Song are displayed and if I put the same 6 CD's in my 2001 Toyota Tacoma the CD Title and Song are displayed. Now if I take those 6 CD's and put them in the 2007 GX 470 it says No Data...The fact that the Navigation Display has the fields for this information makes me believe that this information was intended to be displayed.

So are you saying that the Mark Levinson system in the 2007 GX 470 is the only system in the Lexus/Toyota lineup that requires CDs encoded with the CD Text option? This seems very strange to me.

I did file a grievance with Lexus but have yet to receive a response with their official word.

I heard this CD Text statement elsewhere on the web.

So If I take 6 CD's and put them in the 2005 GS300 the CD Title and Song are displayed, If I put them in the 2007 LS 460 the CD Title and Song are displayed and if I put the same 6 CD's in my 2001 Toyota Tacoma the CD Title and Song are displayed. Now if I take those 6 CD's and put them in the 2007 GX 470 it says No Data...The fact that the Navigation Display has the fields for this information makes me believe that this information was intended to be displayed.

So are you saying that the Mark Levinson system in the 2007 GX 470 is the only system in the Lexus/Toyota lineup that requires CDs encoded with the CD Text option? This seems very strange to me.

I did file a grievance with Lexus but have yet to receive a response with their official word.

The LS 460 incorporates the Gracenote database which retrieves the information from the internal HDD and displays the matching information. Various companies (Pioneer Electronics and Alpine Electronics) use the Gracenote database for mobile devices so that the information is readily available. For other Toyota or Lexus vehicles the audio and navigation systems will be different when there is a production change. Remember, manufacturers and their suppliers are under great pressure to lower cost which means some things will be removed or eliminated from future offerings.

http://www.gracenote.com/music/

The empty fields you are referring to are for XM satellite radio, radio stations broadcasting RDS information (such as their call sign or artist), and CD-Rs with the encoded ID3 tag information.

So did you compare your 07 GX470 with another 07 GX 470, 07 ES 350 or IS 350? Did they operate the same when you inserted the same CD?

Your 'complaint' will simply have the dealership confirm your complaint with a like vehicle. This will confirm if there is indeed an issue with your CD player reading the information off of the compact disc. The display is simply a device that displays information from other sources. Secondly, it may prompt the departments that make or review the owners manual to clearly state this information for users such as yourself.

navguy,

The fields that state no data are for the CD's. On page 184 of the owners manual under the Radio section using CD's it states to display CD Title and Track information simply insert a CD.

When you do this it searches the CD for about 1 minute then two fields pop up

CD Title: No Data

Track: No Data

Then in the upper right it has a touch button that say Track List if you touch this it will display the tracks 6 per page in the correct quantity for that CD e.g. if a CD has 10 tracks it will have 6 on page 1 and 4 on page 2. The problem again is it displays no data. I believe it also states in the manual that it will display the text data for up to 15 tracks. All of this information is stated way before the MP3 and WMA section in the manual.

These fields are there for Commercially bought CD's that have been encoded with this information since 1997 as far as I can tell.

The CD's display properly in my 2005 GS300AWD, The 2007 LS460 and my 2001 Toyota Tacoma. I did not try the new ES and IS at the dealership I could proabably speculate though that they would display this information properly.

About your cost cutting I find it hard to believe they could save much money by leaving this feature out of the 6 disc changer (it is a common expected feature in car audio today) yet providing the fields in the Navigation screen.

I personally think this is a mistake by LEXUS. This would be like buying a new model IPOD that plays your MP3 tracks but will not display the song title and artist and the Apple store telling you "does it play music? than it is working properly". I am sure at that point any previous IPOD owner would call foul with Apple.

I know the LS460 has a hard drive. This has no impact on it being able to disply commercially bought CD's Title and Track information. When you put a CD in the multi disc changer it does not load the entire CD to the hard disc prior to displaying data and playing the CD.

navguy,

The fields that state no data are for the CD's. On page 184 of the owners manual under the Radio section using CD's it states to display CD Title and Track information simply insert a CD.

When you do this it searches the CD for about 1 minute then two fields pop up

CD Title: No Data

Track: No Data

Then in the upper right it has a touch button that say Track List if you touch this it will display the tracks 6 per page in the correct quantity for that CD e.g. if a CD has 10 tracks it will have 6 on page 1 and 4 on page 2. The problem again is it displays no data. I believe it also states in the manual that it will display the text data for up to 15 tracks. All of this information is stated way before the MP3 and WMA section in the manual.

These fields are there for Commercially bought CD's that have been encoded with this information since 1997 as far as I can tell.

The CD's display properly in my 2005 GS300AWD, The 2007 LS460 and my 2001 Toyota Tacoma. I did not try the new ES and IS at the dealership I could proabably speculate though that they would display this information properly.

About your cost cutting I find it hard to believe they could save much money by leaving this feature out of the 6 disc changer (it is a common expected feature in car audio today) yet providing the fields in the Navigation screen.

I personally think this is a mistake by LEXUS. This would be like buying a new model IPOD that plays your MP3 tracks but will not display the song title and artist and the Apple store telling you "does it play music? than it is working properly". I am sure at that point any previous IPOD owner would call foul with Apple.

I know the LS460 has a hard drive. This has no impact on it being able to disply commercially bought CD's Title and Track information. When you put a CD in the multi disc changer it does not load the entire CD to the hard disc prior to displaying data and playing the CD.

The cost cutting comment was a general observation. With the incremental reduction of cost throghout the vehicle, the gross cost of the vehicle is reduced. And yes, any manufacture will try to remove a penny from the cost of an item if they can whether it be a royalty fee or part cost. In aggregrate, it will be a huge cost reduction given the economies of scale. Ask yourself, "Why did Nissan move from California to Tennessee?"

Lastly, I tried my GEN 5 navigation system (4Runner) with two store bought CDs and it does not display the track or artist information. Perhaps the Mark Levinson audio system is different but I doubt it. Go to Best Buy and load you store bought CDs and tell me what you find. Pick the cheapest or most expensive CD player and tell us what you found. We would all love to know what your findings reveal about the car audio industry.

Lastly, why do you suppose they added the Gracenote database to the hard drive system?

Good luck with Lexus.

• 2 weeks later...

Navguy,

My Home Computer Displays the Data, My Home CD Player Displays the Data, My Home Video Equipment Displays the Data, My 2006 GS Displays the Data, My Pioneer in my Camaro displays the Data, My 2001 Tacoma Displays the Data and the LX 460 displays the Data. If I take a single CD to Best Buy and put it in 10 CD players and say 8 of 10 display the data wouldn't you expect it to display on your Brand New LEXUS?

We are not talking about a Hyundai CD Player here.

I expect better from LEXUS

As a consumer now every time I put in a CD and select Audio on my Navigation System I must now see

CD Title: (No Data)

Song Title: (No Data)

When I want to change out a certain CD I will have to select each one individually let it select it, sample it, display No Data and let the CD begin to play before I discover that is not the CD I am looking to change out and continue this from 1-6.

If you think this is the experience you have learned to love and expect from LEXUS you must be part owner in the company.

Navguy,

My Home Computer Displays the Data, My Home CD Player Displays the Data, My Home Video Equipment Displays the Data, My 2006 GS Displays the Data, My Pioneer in my Camaro displays the Data, My 2001 Tacoma Displays the Data and the LX 460 displays the Data. If I take a single CD to Best Buy and put it in 10 CD players and say 8 of 10 display the data wouldn't you expect it to display on your Brand New LEXUS?

As a consumer now every time I put in a CD and select Audio on my Navigation System I must now see

When I want to change out a certain CD I will have to select each one individually let it select it, sample it, display No Data and let the CD begin to play before I discover that is not the CD I am looking to change out and continue this from 1-6.

If you think this is the experience you have learned to love and expect from LEXUS you must be part owner in the company.

Sounds to me like a Mark Levinson factory programming error. I completely agree with you Krisspin.

I have in my living room, a ML No. 37 CD transport. cost: $ 4,800.00 I have a ML No. 39 CD processor. cost: $5,500.00. For that kind of money I expect the best. You should also. If I were you I would contact Mark Levinson and inquire down that route. they would be able to provide real answers as the techs at the Lexus dealerships are mechanics, not electrical engineers. I don't think they will offer a fix for the problem as I think the format has already been established, but maybe knowing why or what circumstances are creating this issue would help.

One other note, I do tend to believe that they must take cost cutting measures along the way. For a complete audio system for your home by ML, you would spend atleast 50-60K and could go up to 100K if you went into the S line. So, if ML were to completely intergrate that technology fully and employ it, the audio system in your car would be in the neigborhood of 25k just by itself. I promise you that Lexus is not spending that kind of dollars on the audio system alone. They have taken quite few cost saving measures in order to be able to provide a Premere audio system. Think of the writer that puts forth their writing efforts, but has it sent back by the editors over and over again until the writer gives the editor what they want. Never the less, an expensive system and car like the Lexus should easily display such a trivial data label.

• 2 months later...
Navguy,

Sounds to me like a Mark Levinson factory programming error. I completely agree with you Krisspin.

I have in my living room, a ML No. 37 CD transport. cost: $ 4,800.00 I have a ML No. 39 CD processor. cost: $5,500.00. For that kind of money I expect the best. You should also. If I were you I would contact Mark Levinson and inquire down that route. they would be able to provide real answers as the techs at the Lexus dealerships are mechanics, not electrical engineers. I don't think they will offer a fix for the problem as I think the format has already been established, but maybe knowing why or what circumstances are creating this issue would help.

One other note, I do tend to believe that they must take cost cutting measures along the way. For a complete audio system for your home by ML, you would spend atleast 50-60K and could go up to 100K if you went into the S line. So, if ML were to completely intergrate that technology fully and employ it, the audio system in your car would be in the neigborhood of 25k just by itself. I promise you that Lexus is not spending that kind of dollars on the audio system alone. They have taken quite few cost saving measures in order to be able to provide a Premere audio system. Think of the writer that puts forth their writing efforts, but has it sent back by the editors over and over again until the writer gives the editor what they want. Never the less, an expensive system and car like the Lexus should easily display such a trivial data label.

I have an 07 ES350. It has Nav, but does not have the ML system. I have the exact same problem. After going round and round with the local Lexus dealer, someone called the factory tech and they told me about the "text" CDs. This was after I took 27 CDs which displayed the Track/Title in my wife's Mercedes, and it displayed on my Computer. I even printed it out to show the tech. My friend has an 07 IS which has the same problem. So it's not unique to any specific model not just the GX, nor is this "text" feature only in the ML.

• 3 months later...

Did you try ripping the store bought CDs to you computer and then burn them ( in CD format) to a disc? My store bought CDs do not display the text but I rip them to the mac and burn them to a CD using itunes and it displays the text. You can then keep the original in a safe place

Did you try ripping the store bought CDs to you computer and then burn them ( in CD format) to a disc? My store bought CDs do not display the text but I rip them to the mac and burn them to a CD using itunes and it displays the text. You can then keep the original in a safe place

the problem is in the 2001 designed gx470 radio. other than update to recognize xm radio the radio is not supportive of the cd text. so the changer wasnt made to support it since the radio doesnt.

also the radio doesnt support mark levinson 7.1 surround sound . so even though it is called mark levinson and has mark levinson amp and speakers the radio has no didgital plug on the back of it like all the lexus surround sound radios do. so it cant play a movie in digital surround sound only in analog .

i make lexus retrofit navigation kits for all lexus models so i know what i am taliking about. i have to study all the wiring digrams to make all the changes from non nav non ml to nav with surround sound ml. and i cant make the gx470 ml surround sound because there is no blue digital surround sound port on the back of the gx470 radio. so the 6 disc cd dvd players movies that can play on the front nav screen are in 11 speaker steero but not in surround sound.

not that they promoised surround sound in the2007 gx470 sales literature just like i am sure they didnt promise cd text anywhere in the literature. the radio was not made to put out cd text to the screen when designed in 2001. the 2007 gs , es, ls, rx, is all had recent complete redesigns and support ml surround sound. the mark levinson sc , lx470 and gx470 had not been redesigned yet in 2007 to play ml surround sound. i am sure cd text will be included when they are redigned. to play 7.1 ml surround sound.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...