Sc300 Oil Change

fedo

I recently purchased a 1992 SC300, with ONLY 36,000 miles.

What do you recommend I do when I receive it, i.e. change fluids, etc?

Also, should I go to a Mobil 1 oil?

Last question, should I purchase a used car warranty, such as AUL, or are they a scam?

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Mike

Congratulations on the SC - especially with such low miles! I can't tell you what maintenance needs to be done at 36k (I've never owned a car with such low mileage) but I can try to answer your other questions.

Definately switch to synthetic. I personally use Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic (~$20 for 5qt at Walmart). Other good synthetics are AMSOIL, Red Line and Royal Purple.

As for the warranty, it's really up to you. You can get a 100k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty for $1500 or so on a SC, but if you take care of the car you might not have any issues until way later. The warranty will only cover parts if they fail, not regular maintenance.

Anyway, I hope I could help a little, and keep us posted on the car!

I just flush brake fluid every year with a break 3 or 4. No high priced is needed.Takes around 1 hour.

I went back to Amsoil after 2 years without. I do not think Mobil is worth the money based on the numbers and contacting Mobils CS (which sucks); if you are doing longer drains which I love and do (and test for). I also have used other fluids in the oil and other oils adds. Most are ok and to me, the CS make or breaks it. So after using Amsoil for 14+ years and LC20 for 2, now back to both. If you are NOT doing longer drains, what do you think a dino cannot do that a syn can? I am getting at, if you are doing normal drains use a grp3 oil and say the money; if normal drains.

Lastly, as I tell every car dealer, "is your car so poorly made that you are pushing the warranty". Then they get the hint

If you are handy get or have some mm tools around and an OBDII & CAN, you are good to go.

PS. welcome to LOC!!! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

My dad and I have raced cars for 30+ years. We've blown up our share of motors, and I have disassembled and rebuilt countless motors. AMSOIL is the best. The quality of thier detergents are just amazing and don't break down. We put 200 hours on our last motor with no problems. the motor produced 285 HP stock and now produces over 850. Anyone in racing will tell you 200 hours is A-lot.

Mburnikas is also right about changing the brake fluid. It's not really about the fluid breaking down, it's about moisture in the lines and reservoir. Also because the car is more than 5 years old I would replace the radiator fluid,and do a fuel system cleaning. If gas sat in the tank along time there could be alot of tarnish on the valves, and injectors. One other thing I would do is a tranny fluid change. Do that every 30,000 miles. It will prevent the tranny fluid from thermal breakdown and pitting the gears and speedbands etc.etc. Once they get pitted and space, then you have to stay with the same fluid from then one.

I would skip the warranty. There are many ways for a warranty to screw you out of money. For example, you take the car to the dealer and they "hear something in the motor". The warranty won't pay for "exploratory diagnostics." So that will come out of your pocket. Then say they find that the flywheel needs to be replaced. ( I know, this is just an example.) Lexus may charge 1200 bucks for that part, but the warrantee payout may only be 800. You'll have to pay the difference AFTER the deductible. Also, most warrantee's only allow for a certain amount of "labor per hour". So if Lexus charges 150 an hour, but the warrantee only pays 65 an hour, again the difference will come out of your pocket. I'm not saying all warrantees are the exact same, but most of them sell on the basis that most people won't even think of these questions. You have to ask very specific questions when it comes to the quality of some of these "extended warrantees."

Nice purchase by the way. Definately a diamond in the rough.