A/c Blowing Fuses

Help! It's hot!

Thursday, on a 120 mile drive home, the A/C stopped. Made appt with dealer for repair, checked fuse...it was blown. So I replaced the fuse on Friday and voile, A/C is working great. Cancelled Saturday AM appt with dealer.

Saturday afternoon, BAM...A/C stopped - blown fuse again. No biggie, I have a box of them now, so I replace it.

This time, the fuse blew as soon as I turned on the engine.

A/C has traditionally run fine EXCEPT, about a month ago, the compressor started making a noise, but the dealer said it was no big deal.

Is it the compressor or could it be something less expensive????

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the clutches do go bad, It is worth a try, and see if the compressor is is good.

The only reason I can think of for the electrical coil inside electro-magnetic clutch to blow a fuse is an internal short, which can be deteced with a simple ohm meter, provided it's not intermittent. But since that would be a rather unusual fauilure I would check first for a chafed, shorted, shorting, wire from the control relay to the A/C clutch, much more common failure IMMHO.