95 Ls For 04' 4runner

nc211

Looks like I'm about to retire the LS on Monday for a 2004 4Runner with the i-force V8. Has 50k miles, midnight blue, sunroof, power windows/locks options, 4x4. Not a limited, no leather, no power seats. But, is extremely nice to drive, awsome engine "i love those V8's". Didn't have that electronic throttle lag too badly, it's there, but barely noticable and easily managable. I'm giving up the luxury comforts of the 12 year old LS, for the newer technology and utility of the 4Runner. I'm keeping the LS, going to fix a couple minor issues, then put it on the street corner for $7,900. Should sell fast, especially considering the closest thing to it around here is a 96' with 140k miles, and BEAT TO SH*T!! I'm talkin', severe severe severe neglect! Paint is flaking off the trunk and roof, dent in the passenger fender, seats torn, plastic cover on gear shift indicator all ripped up.....and the price they're asking "Toyota dealership"????? $10,800!!! Un-freakin-believable!! CarMax offered me $5,000 for it recently, so worst case scenario..

I've tried, and tried, and tried to find a replacement for the LS that I would like. I've looked and drove every 2002-2004 BMW 3 series "too small", the 5 series "too small, crap cup holders", Infiniti M45 "too rough", QX4 "can't find one that hasn't been abused, and doesn't compare to 4Runner", Avalon "not ready for retirement community", Camry "actually drove both neighbors, enough said", Acura TL "rides like go cart", Jaguar "afraid of it", Audi 3 & 6 "too much VW for the price, and too small, don't like center consol". Volvo's "yawn..." MB E320 "feels a bit too economy on the inside for me, center consol too narrow, plus my boss has one, never a good idea to trump your boss"...I won't take an RX, not for me, can't afford the LX or GX. I've tried to avoid Toyota with everything I know, even drove a Ford Five Hundred....But at the end of the day, Toyota still has the quietest, smoothest and best built feeling.

I love Toyota, but I HATE THAT IT'S RUINED ALL OTHER CARS!!! :chairshot: :rolleyes:

It's time to hand the LS to someone else. Aside of needing the caliper bushing repair kit, ebrake fixed, it's perfect. Will need new strut mounts in the next 25k miles, possibly new strut rods within 25k too. Timing belt due in 40k miles.

So, any input on this one ladies and gents?

Beware of the clunk issue on the V8 4wd 4Runners... Cuz they don't recognize the Lexus GX TSB for it, but if it doesn't have it, go for it! It's a good car... and since you're gettin the V8 on an 04, that's good because the V6s only have a 4 speed during the 03-04 models... :)

I stand corrected, it's an 05', not an 04'. We just looked at it again while they were closed, crawled all underneath of it like a grease monkey, looking for signs of problems. Dens, interesting you bring up the clunk, because I think it did have it a bit, not very badly though. I could feel it when the salemen took his foot off the brakes, and sporatically when we came to a stop, not badly though at all. Was it just for the V8's? Not the V6's? It went away after the first 5 minutes, figured at 51k miles, it's probably due for new differential and tranny fluids anyway. The car looks perfect underneath, no scratch marks on any of the components, no old looking bushings, drove great too. It was definetly a garage kept car. Shifted flawlessly, and I really like the 5 speed over the 4 speeds, especially seeing how the 5 speed works in my wife's Mazda 3. Really makes the car cruise quite nicely.

Is the clunk major? It didn't feel that way to me at all, very very minor, and very sporatic. I've come to the conclusion that every car has it's own type of glitch, somewhere in the process. BMW's have torn subframe mounts and vanos issues, volvos blow bulbs, nissans loose road feel or gain too much after 30k miles, toyota has the hesistation, etc.... I don't think there is a "perfect" car made, but Toyota certain comes the closest. So, if the odd clunk is this car's issue, then I could just pop it in "n" when coming to a stop, which is habit for me anyway. Just as long as it isn't tearing up the tranny and differential, I can live with it. :cheers:

Dens, I found you over on the toyota 4runner forum "rx900", under the "problems and warranty" section. I can't post there yet, I'm in line for the mod's to accept me. I've read that sitcky on the thump. Question.... It sounds like to me that if this 4runner I'm probably going to buy tomorrow has the thump "and after reading that thread, it does". it seems like I could just add the lubing of the driveshaft to my oil change routine and be good to go? Use the ford teflon grease too, as mentioned in the end. It sounds like it's an easy thing to do, and as you know, I'm a DIY type, heck, bought this house for the garage "well, for me anyway, wife likes everything else <_< " .

It sounds quite easy to do, and have no problems adding another 30 minutes to the oil changes. This sound good to you? The thump isn't severe, but it is there, kind of like releasing an air brake sometimes on a big truck. I'm convinced I want that 4runner, and after driving it, I can live with the thump, but just want to make sure it's an easily "maintenanced" item. Lubing something easily accessable every 6k miles is no problem, I've got the tools. It also sounds like if you drive easily, and not jack-rabbit the stops and goes, it's not bad. After the LS, easy-going is my way.

Thanks Dens

PS: I was suprised, and somewhat comforted to see that it's been an issue as far back as 97', and on other brands of SUV's too. I willing to accept it as "the qwerk" of the car. Just like a door ding; once you get one, you don't seem to get another. But fix it, and you're sure to get another.

Looks like I'm about to retire the LS on Monday for a 2004 4Runner with the i-force V8. Has 50k miles, midnight blue, sunroof, power windows/locks options, 4x4. Not a limited, no leather, no power seats. But, is extremely nice to drive, awsome engine "i love those V8's". Didn't have that electronic throttle lag too badly, it's there, but barely noticable and easily managable. I'm giving up the luxury comforts of the 12 year old LS, for the newer technology and utility of the 4Runner. I'm keeping the LS, going to fix a couple minor issues, then put it on the street corner for $7,900. Should sell fast, especially considering the closest thing to it around here is a 96' with 140k miles, and BEAT TO SH*T!! I'm talkin', severe severe severe neglect! Paint is flaking off the trunk and roof, dent in the passenger fender, seats torn, plastic cover on gear shift indicator all ripped up.....and the price they're asking "Toyota dealership"????? $10,800!!! Un-freakin-believable!! CarMax offered me $5,000 for it recently, so worst case scenario..

I've tried, and tried, and tried to find a replacement for the LS that I would like. I've looked and drove every 2002-2004 BMW 3 series "too small", the 5 series "too small, crap cup holders", Infiniti M45 "too rough", QX4 "can't find one that hasn't been abused, and doesn't compare to 4Runner", Avalon "not ready for retirement community", Camry "actually drove both neighbors, enough said", Acura TL "rides like go cart", Jaguar "afraid of it", Audi 3 & 6 "too much VW for the price, and too small, don't like center consol". Volvo's "yawn..." MB E320 "feels a bit too economy on the inside for me, center consol too narrow, plus my boss has one, never a good idea to trump your boss"...I won't take an RX, not for me, can't afford the LX or GX. I've tried to avoid Toyota with everything I know, even drove a Ford Five Hundred....But at the end of the day, Toyota still has the quietest, smoothest and best built feeling.

I love Toyota, but I HATE THAT IT'S RUINED ALL OTHER CARS!!! :chairshot: :rolleyes:

It's time to hand the LS to someone else. Aside of needing the caliper bushing repair kit, ebrake fixed, it's perfect. Will need new strut mounts in the next 25k miles, possibly new strut rods within 25k too. Timing belt due in 40k miles.

So, any input on this one ladies and gents?

$7,900? geez i wish i had that sitting around right now... :cries:

for you army, i'd deliver it myself. this is your kind of car.

Got in it today, and guess who's radio read out now says -M, instead of FM.... need Walker's magical touch soon on the LCD for the stereo.

Sorry NC for not replying right away... On vacation in the Philippines and have VERY LIMITED internet access..

Anyways if you really love the vehicle, and think the clunk wouldnt be such a biggie for you, go for it man! Just make sure the clunk REALLY won't bother ya. :P

I don't want to scare you or anything (and i hope it's not too late or anything) but beware that there IS THE POSSIBILITY of a vibration coming from driving around 60-65 mph, around 3000 rpm i think, and maybe a sulfur smell problem... Otherwise it's a great vehicle and you will truly enjoy it!

I see that it's now a 2005 V8 4WD. SR5? SE? LTD?? Post pix as soon as you take her home! ;)

picking it up tonight, closed the deal this morning.:cheers:

The LS is now up for sale... going in the paper soon.

issues here and there are ok with me. my main concern is getting out the LS before something happens to it down the road, like the starter going out, or ac, or something big like that, that I can't handle myself. Plus the age of the car, and several model years old, the parts are now starting to creep up there in price. At some point, dimishing returns comes into effect, and putting that kind of money into the car, especially after all I've done already, just makes no sense to me. It'll be a GREAT car for the next owner, no doubt about it, will go for many many many more miles and years, but after 3.5 years and 50k miles under my ownership, its time for me to move on to something different. I will miss "her", and won't sell it to someone I think will abuse it, or some 16 year old that will get hurt in it. Already turned down an offer from a 16 year old in my neighborhood last night. Told him this is the wrong car for him, as it is very fast but handles like a wollowing elephant. A kid will no doubt take a turn too quickly for the car, and trouble will result. I can't sleep at night with that in my head.

I know how you feel, but eventually you have to learn to let go... I thought the same when I traded in our RX300... I was thinking, all of my hard work and tender loving care i put into this car, I hope someone would do the same to it... But later found it all dirty, back seems lowered (even though it isn't, like i guess there's something heavy in the back) kinda scratched... but hey that's life.... Better to sell the car OUT OF TOWN rather than in town so you don't have to see it and feel the pain when you see the next owner abuse it...

Have fun with the 4Runner! You will enjoy it, trust me... You must be really excited (and sad at the same time for the LS) about to get your 4Runner.. Speaking of 4Runner, I miss my 4Runner... :( But hey, it's now CRV tme! lol... My CRV's all lazy! Sheez... So every morning i try to floor this thing to get the engine to WAKE UP. lol.. :lol:

yeah, you're right about letting it go....but i won't let it go to a teenager for his 1st car. it's too much car for that, and i would feel horrible, just horrible if i found out they were being teenagers and got hurt. I myself have had one too many close calls with the handling, and i'm a professionally trained driver for that sort of stuff. spent years in the movie business, and was trained to drive both offensively and defensively. had to, had to drive some pretty rich folks, and it wouldn't be good if they got hurt by the drivers inexperience. The LS is elusive in that regard. it can, very easily, lead you into trouble without the "talent" to get you out of it.

I'll post up some pictures soon. We got out of the dealership, took a long drive with all the windows down and roof open "love that back window feature", by the time we got home, it was dark and starting to rain again. I must say, I'm excited by this change!! I have a very very very good feeling this 4Runner is going to be a great experience. There is nothing about it that gives away it's 51k mileage, except the odometer. not a scratch on it, not a rattle, not a single vibratoin, and for the life of me I tried to get that thump to kick in, but had zero luck. I'm wondering if I misjudged the salesmen taping of the brakes as the thump. It certainly drives differently, but not in a bad way. I called the local Toyota dealership to discuss the thumping problem on some. They have a technique they swear lasts for about 30k miles, by drilling out the yolk setting and flushing the grease. When I asked how much it was, being a lexus guy and preparing for doom, I was school girl giddy when he said $89! I said "you're b/s'n me! it's $105 for just an oil change at the lexus dealership!" He said "lexus parts, not lexus costs" I called the dealership back and said "sold!" Got it for $2,500 under blue book.

Time for NC to spend some time underneath, put a little seafoam in the crankcase and then flush the oil for some mobile 1, replace the differential fluids in both differentials, and just drive baby drive. Loving this 4runner already! I don't think I"m going to miss the leather seats either. Sure am tired of sticking to it in the summer. And that automatic steering wheel is nice, but when it acts up, it's like Michael Bolton dealing with the fax machine in the movie Office Space "oh yeah, you like it like that, give it to me, you :censored: "!

Home Depot, here I come...via the local muddin' hole!

It is the SR5 model, 4.7 V8, 4x4, has some kind of oversized crome exhaust, looks like TRD gear, not aftermarket. I assume that's a performance accessory? Got metal gas and brake peddles with black rubber grips. That part of the "sport package" as the original window sticker says it has? Haven't a clue what the difference is from the SR5 to the non SR5??

EDIT: Here are the photos from the online ad..

post-15797-1185850825_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1185850831_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1185850838_thumb.jpg

post-15797-1185850844_thumb.jpg

From the picture i cant tell what kind of chrome exhaust you've got there.... But damn that thing looks clean! Ok the difference between SR5 and the others like Sport Edition, and Limited are just features and some cosmetics... For example the SR5s ALL (even 2wd and 4wds) have black side mirrors, the 03-05 SR5s have body colored door handles, and that trim on top of the license plates... the 06 and newer have chrome door handles and chrome trim on top of the plates..

The Sport Edition has a non-functional hood scoop, BUT colored side mirrors... The 06 and newer SEs have smoked colored headlamps, and also have tubular roof racks and step boards while the 03-05 SEs had the regular ones...

The Limited has body colored mirrors, handles, trim, BUT has standard leather seats. It also has LIGHTED step boards (which i miss on my SR5).. On the 03-05 LTDs they have the same chrome grille, the 06 and newer have a body colored grille

Oh and I'm not sure if this changed during the years... but the black trim inside our cabin is different... the SR5s have the black trims, like where the gear shifter is, and that flimsy little box underneath the a/c controls, right? The SEs have like a greyish trim, while the LTDs have supposidly some grey "fake" wood grain on them....

So that's pretty much the main difference. lol.. Trying to get some chrome mirror covers here in the Philippines but it seems that the only option i can do over here is buy the WHOLE HOUSING of the mirror! haha, but i dont feel like removing the old one and puttin in the chrome so idk, we'll see... i almost bought some fake leather seat covers, only about $64 but the supplier couldn't fabricate the design for the 03-07s... grrr... and that cheap i was almost jumping to get them too! damn. lol.

Ahh, ok, cool, thanks for the clearification! Yeah, I've got the black interior pieces. Coming in today, and while on our drive last night, I didn't even realize we were in 4th gear the whole time, and not the 5th. I still couldn't hear or feel the engine whatsoever, but looking at the dash this morning at the light, i noticed 4-d. Slid the gear shifter over to the right, and a light bulb in my head came on "oh, 5th, ok..". I do have to clean it up inside. The previous owner was clearly a smoker, and i can smell it. I've got one of those Brissell cleaners with all the attachments at home, so I'm going to steam scrub the interior this weekend to get that smell out. I love that back window feature, just love it! Need to get some advice on what aftermarket stereos will fit in the oem slot, and still work with the steering wheel controls, in the future. I'm tapped out at the moment, but probably next spring I'll replace the stereo if possible. I've got the basic cd/tape/stereo, which is a little weak, but plenty good.

I'm soooo itching to go off-road, I can't stand it! Haven't had a capable 4x4 in 10 years....

Man, can Toyota build a vehicle... They're simply the best. No rattles, no nothing, just pure bliss.

nc211,

Good luck with the 4Runner. I completely understand the decision. At some point in time we all reach an epiphany after which we very seriously ask ourselves "why am I spending the majority of my free time working on this vehicle?" Sounds like you finally scaled that wall and you're happy with the outcome. So let the ol' LS go and don't look back. Life's too short and I'm sure there will be more project cars in your future if you decide that's what you want to do....

By the way, I'm looking to steal a well-kept 2004/2005 Honda Accord here in the Triangle area as a second vehicle for my daughter to supplement and eventually replace her 2000 Grand Cherokee. Needs to be a light exterior color (preferably white), automatic transmission, under 30,000 miles, and the 2.3-litre 4-cylinder engine in order to maximize the gas mileage. If you happen to come across one that fits the bill, let me know....

picking it up tonight, closed the deal this morning.:cheers:

The LS is now up for sale... going in the paper soon.

issues here and there are ok with me. my main concern is getting out the LS before something happens to it down the road, like the starter going out, or ac, or something big like that, that I can't handle myself. Plus the age of the car, and several model years old, the parts are now starting to creep up there in price. At some point, dimishing returns comes into effect, and putting that kind of money into the car, especially after all I've done already, just makes no sense to me. It'll be a GREAT car for the next owner, no doubt about it, will go for many many many more miles and years, but after 3.5 years and 50k miles under my ownership, its time for me to move on to something different. I will miss "her", and won't sell it to someone I think will abuse it, or some 16 year old that will get hurt in it. Already turned down an offer from a 16 year old in my neighborhood last night. Told him this is the wrong car for him, as it is very fast but handles like a wollowing elephant. A kid will no doubt take a turn too quickly for the car, and trouble will result. I can't sleep at night with that in my head.

you would seriously deliver it yourself?

you are really...REALLY tempting me...seriously... :unsure:

ohhhhh meghan.... :whistles:

(seriously dont sell it yet...the escort will be out from under my hair as soon as i get back and it will be nice to get into a car that i wont be upside down on from day one)

...would you take $6800? if not, how low will you go? dont let me take advantage of you because we are friends...im all about fair and i dont want to screw you out of well...anything. As for the maintenance, you know me...taker' apart and puter' back together all day long...and manage to eat all 3 meals in the process...and drink lots of alkyhol. :D

I wish I could go that low amigo, but I need to try and recoupe some of my losses on those parts, if possible. Unfortunetly, I was kidding about delivering it to you myself, simply because I don't have the time. I'm gone for the 1st three weeks of September, then all over the place after that. In my business these days, the scramble is on with this stocks and bonds market acting all screwy with rates. I've had to delay my enrollment into the MBA program from October to Jan,08 because of it. Let me see if it sells here first for my asking price. If I have no luck, let's talk privately, and maybe I can arrange to have it hauled to you. I'm buying the front caliper bushing repair kit soon, but not going to install them myself, just give them to the next owner. They need to be replaced, I didn't do it a few months ago when I cleaned up the pistons and such.

nc211,

Good luck with the 4Runner. I completely understand the decision. At some point in time we all reach an epiphany after which we very seriously ask ourselves "why am I spending the majority of my free time working on this vehicle?" Sounds like you finally scaled that wall and you're happy with the outcome. So let the ol' LS go and don't look back. Life's too short and I'm sure there will be more project cars in your future if you decide that's what you want to do....

By the way, I'm looking to steal a well-kept 2004/2005 Honda Accord here in the Triangle area as a second vehicle for my daughter to supplement and eventually replace her 2000 Grand Cherokee. Needs to be a light exterior color (preferably white), automatic transmission, under 30,000 miles, and the 2.3-litre 4-cylinder engine in order to maximize the gas mileage. If you happen to come across one that fits the bill, let me know....

Be cautious of Leith, run your carfax on them, especially the Leith Euro on Capital. They own the Pennsylvania auction, and most of their cars are coming from NYC area. I looked at a QX4, and the rims were bubbling up from the road salt. Was an 04' with only 42k miles. Drove great, but rusting already.

Don't touch Acura in the Cary autopark. They were scumbags to us, nearly lost my temper Saturday with the pushy and insulting salesman, who upset my wife. And Volvo of Cary has a manager there that has NO IDEA what cars are worth. They have an 04' Subaru outback limited. I tried to negotiate, but was insulted with a trade value of $4,000 for my car "$1,000 under carmax for cryin' out loud." Wouldn't negotiate.

I bought this 4Runner from the Porsche shop in Cary autopark. I think it was a Leith store, but higher end stuff. Great experience. Fred Anderson Toyota was wonderful to deal with as well, just couldn't find the right car.

I think I might of seen one of those hondas at Unlimitied Imports out past Brier Creek on 70. Google them, they have a good website.

Lookin good man!

I don't blame you. The LS is a great car but at 13 years old, you don't need to be worrying about something going wrong on it. You've got the new house and all of that to be concerned with. You'll get many years out of that 4Runner.

I wish I could go that low amigo, but I need to try and recoupe some of my losses on those parts, if possible. Unfortunetly, I was kidding about delivering it to you myself, simply because I don't have the time. I'm gone for the 1st three weeks of September, then all over the place after that. In my business these days, the scramble is on with this stocks and bonds market acting all screwy with rates. I've had to delay my enrollment into the MBA program from October to Jan,08 because of it. Let me see if it sells here first for my asking price. If I have no luck, let's talk privately, and maybe I can arrange to have it hauled to you. I'm buying the front caliper bushing repair kit soon, but not going to install them myself, just give them to the next owner. They need to be replaced, I didn't do it a few months ago when I cleaned up the pistons and such.

well to be honest, i really dont want to do anything until we get our family situation working right...we are debating on a baby and home buying and i sold my car so i wanna wait until i can pay cash.

besides, as good of a deal as it would be to buy your beautiful car, i realy dont want to do that and bring it up here in all the salt...cause that would undo every repair you just made...and then some.

yeah man, I was really afraid I was going to get caught with something that I couldn't handle myself on the LS. So now it sits in the garage, waiting to be cleaned up, and put in the paper. All the dealers I spoke with advised me to sell it myself, as it would probably go quickly for the right price.

It's been a big year for the ole' wallet, that's for sure. Replaced the wife's high mileage civic for the new mazda, and now the LS for the 4Runner. Funny thing is, at the end of the day, I'm in no worse shape that I was with the older cars. Payments are a wash. Mazda and Honda are identical, nearly to the penny. And the 4Runner is about $60 more, but taking into consideration the maintenace cost of the LS, it's a wash, if not a better deal. It's easy to get a $750 repair bill a year on the LS...annualize that over 12 months, and it's even, dollar for dollar. Only thing that really jumped is housing. Had a sweet deal on rent of the old house. Jumped about $700. But, new job took care of that concern quite nicely. No more big ticket items for the NC211 household. Gotta start saving up for the big ticket repairs, like a/c, water heater, etc..... My tail is hanging out a little too much.

NC- You'll love your T4R.... i have an '03 Sport V8 4X4 with about 63k. I'm sure you've found it already, but www.t4r.org is a great forum for 4runners only. Mine does have the clunk, but honestly i've gotten completely used to it. After i found out it wasn't really hurting anything, i accepted it and moved on. That V8 is sooo smooth and shifts like an LS....seamlessly. I've got a sunroof rattle (only when closing it), and did have some driver seat issues (had the lexus dealer that i bought it from replace the whole seat). Other than that, i love it. Glad you splurged for the V8.... from what i've heard mpg is only about 1 off from the V6... and you can't beat full time 4wd. It also tows great. Good luck with your purchase! Hope to see you over at the T4R forum!

Wow, congrats Robert!! I love the dark blue color! :cheers:

I do have to clean it up inside. The previous owner was clearly a smoker, and i can smell it.
A thorough cleaning and lots of fresh air are going to be your best friends in this situation!

98es

You are at t4r.org also??? What's your screen name over there?!?! Haha don't tell me all this time we are both part of that forum and this forum and I didn't know about it!!!! :wacko:

98es

You are at t4r.org also??? What's your screen name over there?!?! Haha don't tell me all this time we are both part of that forum and this forum and I didn't know about it!!!! :wacko:

The question is...have you found me Dens...aka....Jesus...aka...ladykiller....aka...rx900 :whistles: