Spark Plug Gaskets

jon92ls400

I am changing my valve cover gaskets as oil is leaking from both valve covers. I have decided to change all the rubber washer s and the spark plug gaskets to make sure no stone is left unturned in eliminating the leaks. For the life of me I cannot remove the old spark plug gaskets without marring the aluminum. The old gaskets are really hard and chip easily. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I think I will try the socket and hammer method. I am worried about the tabs that protrudes from the baffle to underneath the gasket, it seems like it will be difficult to not damage this while hammering them out.

Just to clarify the gaskets I am referring to are the gaskets that sit in the valve cover and keep oil from going into the spark plug tubes.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Thanks you guys, I bent the tabs away and was able to get the old ones out with a punch and a hammer.

I have a new problem now. I can't get the new ones in. I have already torn up the rubber on one of the gaskets trying to get it in. Please let me know if there is a method to getting them in there.

Thanks

Thanks you guys, I bent the tabs away and was able to get the old ones out with a punch and a hammer.

I have a new problem now. I can't get the new ones in. I have already torn up the rubber on one of the gaskets trying to get it in. Please let me know if there is a method to getting them in there.

Thanks

for those of u who may want to do this later.....you can buy the exact same spark plug tube o-rings from toyota......call lexus get the part number, then call toyota and give them that number.......i did it and it cost me less than half the price, this works with a lot of parts for this car, some of the parts toyota may not carry but some of them they dont......just a bit of advice, also i have a 92 Ls 400 and have done everything to my car, from starter,water pump,timing belt,injectors and also the power steering(rack and hoses as well), also replaced knock sensors and 02 sensors........just ask and i will let u know what to do......

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Does anyone has an (visual) instructions for changing valve cover gasket for 92 LS400? I used to do tune up on older toyota car myself. I just wonder if this easy job to do?

Thanks in advance,

Hat Be

Thanks

for those of u who may want to do this later.....you can buy the exact same spark plug tube o-rings from toyota......call lexus get the part number, then call toyota and give them that number.......i did it and it cost me less than half the price, this works with a lot of parts for this car, some of the parts toyota may not carry but some of them they dont......just a bit of advice, also i have a 92 Ls 400 and have done everything to my car, from starter,water pump,timing belt,injectors and also the power steering(rack and hoses as well), also replaced knock sensors and 02 sensors........just ask and i will let u know what to do......

Hi

Never mind, I found it in the DYI section.

HatBE

Hi,

Does anyone has an (visual) instructions for changing valve cover gasket for 92 LS400? I used to do tune up on older toyota car myself. I just wonder if this easy job to do?

Thanks in advance,

Hat Be

Thanks