Steering Wheel Won't Go In And Out

I have a 1995 sc400 and the steering wheel quit going in and out all of a sudden. It tries to go in and out but it seems like it either gets stuck or runs out of the power required to move it. I have already replaced the bushing to align the tilt gear so the steering wheel still does go up and down, it just won't go in and out.

Does anyone have a solution? It would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had that problem for the second time yesterday! Went to the local wrecking yard the got the Blue Plastic Gear that makes the steering wheel tilt. They just get worn out even though it doesn't look like it. It's a pretty easy job, the hardest part is getting the gear out. I used an allen wrench small enough to fit behind the gear to wedge it out. The guy at the wrecking yard gave me the part because I have become a regular customer since owning my SC.

I have a 1995 sc400 and the steering wheel quit going in and out all of a sudden. It tries to go in and out but it seems like it either gets stuck or runs out of the power required to move it. I have already replaced the bushing to align the tilt gear so the steering wheel still does go up and down, it just won't go in and out.

Does anyone have a solution? It would be much appreciated.

Mine goes in and out, but is stuck in the most up-right position. Trying to move it down will cause it to make a grinding noise. Its really bad, at first I didnt think I'd be able to get used to driving like that. Its been a while and Im ready to do something about it, I was affraid I'd have to replace the whole tilt-motor, which is about a $400 dollar part new.

I can check it out now that I know what to look for.