Gs300 Starting Problem

My 99 GS300 has 89K on it and recently started failing to start on the first key turn. You get one click and nothing. No cranking, noi multiple clicks as in a weak battery, nada.

After a few attempts, you get normal cranking and start. You can turn off the engine, and this happens again, repeatedly, so I doubt its a weak battery. Battery is 2 yrs old. Solenoid? Any opinions?

My 99 GS300 has 89K on it and recently started failing to start on the first key turn. You get one click and nothing. No cranking, noi multiple clicks as in a weak battery, nada.

After a few attempts, you get normal cranking and start. You can turn off the engine, and this happens again, repeatedly, so I doubt its a weak battery. Battery is 2 yrs old. Solenoid? Any opinions?

Friend, I had same problem and changed "STARTER" and now it works perfect. So, check STARTER

Just have the starter contacts replaced, I had the same problem, Maybe $100.00

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I will turn the key, and i get a single click noise, then i have to try a couple more times before the starter will kick in and turn the car on. Sometimes it will get stuck and keep trying to start the car over and over. also it will sometimes not disengage and u hear a clicking noise (actually more like a ticking).

So does that sound like sometime replacing the contacts would fix?

Also does anyone have the repair manual for repalcing the starter?

I have the same problem. I will turn the key, and i get a single click noise, then i have to try a couple more times before the starter will kick in and turn the car on. Sometimes it will get stuck and keep trying to start the car over and over. also it will sometimes not disengage and u hear a clicking noise (actually more like a ticking).

So does that sound like sometime replacing the contacts would fix?

Also does anyone have the repair manual for repalcing the starter?

Replace the contacts............. :cheers:

i was going to do the contacts, but Leuxs had to order them. And then i found a factory by me that Remanufacutres Starters so i picked one up for $79(with 1 year warranty).

Easy install. For those who dont know, the starter is located on the driver side. If you look from under the hood it is right behind the Trasmission Dip Stick.

MAKE SURE TO UNHOOK THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU WORK ON THE STARTER!

Then you just (1) Undo one Electical Clip on the starter, (2) Undo a nut which holds the power Cable on the starter, (3) Undo the Two bolts which mounts the starter then it pops off.

To get more room undo the bolt which holds the transmission dip stick in place.

i was going to do the contacts, but Leuxs had to order them. And then i found a factory by me that Remanufacutres Starters so i picked one up for $79(with 1 year warranty).

Easy install. For those who dont know, the starter is located on the driver side. If you look from under the hood it is right behind the Trasmission Dip Stick.

MAKE SURE TO UNHOOK THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU WORK ON THE STARTER!

Then you just (1) Undo one Electical Clip on the starter, (2) Undo a nut which holds the power Cable on the starter, (3) Undo the Two blots which mounts the starter then it pops off.

To get more room undo the bolt which holds the transmission dip stick in place.

Nice instructions :cheers:

Any pic's ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yea, I have the same problem along with so many others. Pics would be nice so I can check this one off the list! Haha Thanks

My wife's 99 gs300 would not turn off once she had started it. She cranked it and it started making a loud clanking noise so she turned it off. The noise did not be gin until she was turning to pull out of the driveway. The car continued to run though she had turned the car off. It sounded as if the starter was still engaged? It ran for about 5 mins and finally shut off; the key was turned off and removed. I checked for ground and everything seems to be in place. There was an odor coming from the car but it did not smell of wiring. I then noticed the battery was melted a little on the front side and hot to the touch.

Could this be from the starter staying engaged? I went out this morning and the car started right up with no unusual sounds. It did the noise once before when I turned the steering hard to the right.

Thanks