How Do I Remove Nail Polish From Radio Dial?

The previous owner of my RX, got what I believe to be red nail polish on the radio dial. Any suggestions for removing the scrape? I don't want to ruin the surface, which I know polish remover will do. The interior is gray. Thanks for your suggestions.

are you sure you cant just use your nail to scrape it off like dried glue? if not then nail polish remover or that acetone stuff is your only choice. Just dilute it in a cup with more water than nail polish remover and then slowly use a Qtip to kinda gently wipe against it. These hard plastics are a lot more tough then you think.

The radio dial is silver painted. Are we thinkin of the same thing?

Acetone will melt plastic and make the finish "foggy". If you use it on the silver painted plastic knobs it might remove the silver or discolor it. If you rub it, it will remove more silver surrounding the nail polish, before it removes the polish (the polish is more dense than the silver on the knob).

i've never tried it before, but that's my guess as to what would happen using acetone. I'd call lexus and ask for their opinion. That way, if their suggestion causes disaster they may feel obligated to help you replace it!

Well, I figured if the polish remover destroys the clear finish on wood tables (don't ask), then it might ruin the dial too. I think I'll try scraping it again, gently & see if anything happens. Maybe with the high heat inside my vehicle these days, the polish might be a bit more open to coming off. Maybe a Non-Acetone remover that is diluted would work?

You could always test an area. Get some nail polish, put it on some random scrap of plastic, let it dry (maybe blow-dry it) and test different solutions.

I would still contact lexus. The call is free and they may have a good idea. You never know, maybe they'll even remove it for free! It can't hurt.

I can't think of any other methods of removing it though without damaging the silver paint and plastic as well. :unsure:

Unfortunately, dear, I suspect that the damage may already be done by the solvents in the nail polish. Testing an inconspicuous area is a great idea. Second would be to make a test "spot" of nail polish and try various solvents. Don't underestimate things like Goo-Gone etc., when left for a period of minutes/hours.

Tom

Good news, all! I was able to gently scrape away the polish with my own unpolished digit. Not a trace it left & there are no scratches in the paint or marrs in the surfact. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!