Buying An Exhaust System...

I have a 2007 Lexus IS 250 and it has become obvious that the engine sounds very good, but the exhaust sound doesnt not exist, do you guys know of any good systems for the IS 250, and if so a website or info?

Thanks.

Funny, "it doesn't sound like a Civic with pooty pipes" was one of the car's selling points for me. :whistles:

I love the peace and quiet of the car. I see no need to start introducing unwanted noise. If I want to hear the exhaust I'll put the windows down and turn off the sound system. :rolleyes:

Ya thats why a lot of people like the car, but even with the sound system off and the windows down you just hear the engine, the exhuast sound doesnt exist at all, they just blow out air ,

many people love the quietness but, i just want to see if there are any good systems

thanks.

What do you want the system to do? There are some that are really loud, some that convert to true dual exhaust and some that are kinda mellow.

Well i want to be able to hear some noise, but not to the point where they become annoying, here i was looking at the HKS exhaust, check out the link and let me know what you think.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2348

Thanks.

What do you want the system to do? There are some that are really loud, some that convert to true dual exhaust and some that are kinda mellow.

Well i want to be able to hear some noise, but not to the point where they become annoying, here i was looking at the HKS exhaust, check out the link and let me know what you think.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2348

Thanks.

That's the one the Lexus dealers sell, I believe. Ltuned gives a better price. It has a nice, but not real loud sound.

There may be some sound clips on Youtube.

I have a 2007 Lexus IS 250 and it has become obvious that the engine sounds very good, but the exhaust sound doesnt not exist, do you guys know of any good systems for the IS 250, and if so a website or info?

Thanks.

Funny, "it doesn't sound like a Civic with pooty pipes" was one of the car's selling points for me.:whistles:

I like very much the quietness of the car especially when listening to music from the very good audio. However, I would appreciate some audio clue when driving with the manual mode. I now have to keep an eye on the rev counter to do the shifting.

Even with windows opened, the engine rev is not obvious (especially against the tire noise). Openning the windows is also not a nice option when driving above 60 mph or in the hot summer sun (or cold winter).

I am wondering if anyone would make a synthesizer linked to both the rev counter and the audio input jack so to have some artificial engine+exhuast sound according to the revs when one would need some. :D

I've got the Tanabe stainless steel system on mine. It's very well made and lighter than the original. You can hear it when you put your foot down but it's not intrusive. There is a droning sound around 2-3K rpm when cruising which you get used to, but obviously it wasn't there with the OEM system.

dsc01457ub6.jpg

Shot with DSC-P200 at 2007-07-09

arago4hw4.jpg

Shot with GZ-MG575 at 2007-07-09

Thanks.

Funny, "it doesn't sound like a Civic with pooty pipes" was one of the car's selling points for me.:whistles:

I like very much the quietness of the car especially when listening to music from the very good audio. However, I would appreciate some audio clue when driving with the manual mode. I now have to keep an eye on the rev counter to do the shifting.

Even with windows opened, the engine rev is not obvious (especially against the tire noise). Openning the windows is also not a nice option when driving above 60 mph or in the hot summer sun (or cold winter).

I am wondering if anyone would make a synthesizer linked to both the rev counter and the audio input jack so to have some artificial engine+exhuast sound according to the revs when one would need some. :D

You have that little red ring for speed and RPM that you can set to come on at whatever speed or RPM you want. I keep my speedo set at 100 MPH and the RPM set at 500 below redline. That's enough cue for me.

I've got the Tanabe stainless steel system on mine. It's very well made and lighter than the original. You can hear it when you put your foot down but it's not intrusive. There is a droning sound around 2-3K rpm when cruising which you get used to, but obviously it wasn't there with the OEM system.

dsc01457ub6.jpg

Shot with DSC-P200 at 2007-07-09

arago4hw4.jpg

Shot with GZ-MG575 at 2007-07-09

O wow it looks like the orange on your back lights was takin out. Did you use a red out kit for this??? i just ordered one off ebay and i was wondering if it was easy to install and if it matches the color of the light well...

Thanks

O wow it looks like the orange on your back lights was takin out. Did you use a red out kit for this??? i just ordered one off ebay and i was wondering if it was easy to install and if it matches the color of the light well...

Thanks

Hmm, maybe all Euro ISs had them like that? :unsure:

In any case, it saddens me to see an IS with parking sensors and not being able to get my hands on one Stateside...

It was one of the first mods to the car, and yes it was a 'red-out' kit from http://www.rvinyl.com/ Dead easy to fit as comes pre-cut and with a full set of instructions. Perfect match except perhaps it's not quite so shiny as the bare plastic lenses. Must admit I don't notice it at all now, even when I'm detailing the car.

You have that little red ring for speed and RPM that you can set to come on at whatever speed or RPM you want. I keep my speedo set at 100 MPH and the RPM set at 500 below redline. That's enough cue for me.

It would not work well in a situation other than "straight line drag racing" for the following reasons:

(1) The steering wheel may be in the line of sight

(2) I may need to downshift when doing 3000 rpm so as to achieve better steering dynamic during a bend

(3) I may need to upshift before the max torque to avoid rear wheels skidding (or the annoying beeps and throttle cut from the ESP) in a bend

(4) I may need to downshift to achieve engine braking in going downhill

(5) Checking the "orange" ring still divert attention in winding narrow roads with tight bends

It would not work well in a situation other than "straight line drag racing" for the following reasons:

(1) The steering wheel may be in the line of sight

(2) I may need to downshift when doing 3000 rpm so as to achieve better steering dynamic during a bend

(3) I may need to upshift before the max torque to avoid rear wheels skidding (or the annoying beeps and throttle cut from the ESP) in a bend

(4) I may need to downshift to achieve engine braking in going downhill

(5) Checking the "orange" ring still divert attention in winding narrow roads with tight bends

I wasn't aware you had lost your peripheral vision. The real point is that you can set that RPM lighted ring wherever you want it and if you want to stay on power, set it where you want to shift. But then, I'm not a pro road racer so what do I know? Being an old !Removed!, I pretty well go by seat of the pants feel and engine sound (yes I can hear it in stock form) anyhow. All I really need is a speedo so's I know if I'm going the speed limit if cops are around.

I love the peace and quiet of the car. I see no need to start introducing unwanted noise. If I want to hear the exhaust I'll put the windows down and turn off the sound system. :rolleyes:

Ya thats why a lot of people like the car, but even with the sound system off and the windows down you just hear the engine, the exhuast sound doesnt exist at all, they just blow out air ,

many people love the quietness but, i just want to see if there are any good systems

thanks.

what i did was i got my resonator deleted. when i rev it, it sounds like i got an exhaust but not really. hahaha. x]

when i get a change i will make a sound/video clip. its actually pretty nice. after you break it in, or drive for a while....the rip sound goes away. but in generaly, the exhaust sound it a bit louder thatn stock. its actually pretty nice. whenever i hear the rip...i always smile. i got my resonator deleted for only $40. plus i'm also getting a TANABE MEDALLION TOURING Exhaust. its good for its money. www.hopupracing.com is reliable and pretty cheap. if you want to hear the TANABE, go to www.tanabe-usa.com.