Toyota---> Lexus---> Ls Es Gs Avalon $25k Max

benalexe

Hi, I am fairly mew here. I would like some buying advice. Let me give you a little background first. Currently I have a 2005 SAAB 9-3 which goes back in March. I am sick of leasing cars so I now want to purchase one. With all of the research I have done I hear that the best cars to buy are Toyotas (lexus). My current SAAB is way to small. In addition, I like the comfort of a larger comfortable car. I LOVE TOYS AND GADGETS. So my next car I want a navigation system built in. I basically want all of the options, whichever car I get.

I have a family of 5 and occasionally I would like to take my new/ used car on a trip instead of the big family SUV we have. So, I want something very safe and reliable.

my budget for a new / used car is $25,000.

So first i looked at the ES 300 / 330. I found out I can get one for between 20k and 25k. This seemed good. Then in doing research, I learned more about the Avalon limited. was looking at a 2005 or 2006. This car has great toys such as heated / cooled seats, great stereo, LASER CRUISE CONTROL etc. I also read that it actually is a little larger and has a better ride and comfort then the Lex ES series. In addition it comes loaded with more stuff. The other benefit I have found and this is one of the questions I wanted to ask here is, I have heard that repairs are less on a toyota then a lex- simply because one is a toyota and one is a LEX... Is this true?

So with the info I learned I set my course on the Avalon limited. As i did shopping I found that there are not a lot of limited edition cars out there. In addition, even less 2005 models which means I would go with a 2006. THe prices I have found were about $27K to 29K. WAY over my budget.

So now I am thinking of possible LEX again. I have seen LS 430's on ebay for the same price as the Avalon limited. I have seen ES 300's for about 20K. And of course the GS is out there too. Now I am not sure what to do? ES- GS- LS- AVALON- I guess the LS is probably the most awesome out of the bunch and can probably get a 2003 for about 28K wiith about 50K miles. Just wondering if I did something like that id my expenses of owing this car are much greater. THen of course there is the 8 cyl gas millage vs the avalon which does great on gas.

I guess i am babbling a bit but hoping to start some dialog wiht the people on these boards who know a lot about this stuff.

Please give me your thoughts, feedback and advice

Thank you.

let me first address the parts/service area. It will be noticable cheaper at a toyota dealership, for practically the same parts since the two brands use the same engine components etc. However, you will not get loaner cars at a toyota dealership, nor will you get that famous lexus service. If those things arent important to you, then you could still bring your lexus into a toyota dealership and have it serviced there instead. Anything goes since the two brands are interchangable.

I would rule out the LS and the GS seeing how they would probably be more "stripped" then an ES or Avalon in that price range. Also, as i was point out to earlier this year, the ES is actually larger than the GS, so seeing how you need all 5 seats.

LS- an LS in the mid $25K might not be in the best of condition. this would be the old styling and keep in mind (maybe im just nit picking), the 2002-3s did not have the refresh which included LED tail lights etc.

GS- i never like the old generation dash nor exterior, but perhaps you do. ALso this would be the old styling and it seems pretty outdated if you ask me.

ES- an ES330 shouldnt run you more than 26K and it would be fairly new. that styling is a little more sleek than the equivalent year of a GS. The car is bigger as well, and it has 230 hp i think

Avalon- I would probably choose this car, though it would probably be ranked next to the ES. Im one to want kinda a "bling" car with the lexus name on it, but if you dont care, the Avalon would be the best bang for the buck. Keep searching around, and dont rush into it. Also keep in mind goodies like the Nav are the same as the ones found on a lexus. the interface is the same.

Thank you for your response. My big issue now is finding an avalon for my price. I really do not want anything but the limited. They seem to be out there but more like in the 29K price range.

Or, I have seen others but they are far out of state and not sure how I feel about buying an auto site unseen and through ebay motors.

I recently sold an '05 Avalon Limited for 25.5k with 12k miles on it. It was in perfect shape in every way. Just got a 2000 LS400 with 34k miles on it. Between the two cars, the LS400 is much nicer in term of ride quality. But I do miss the new tech in the Avalon (i.e. vent seats, nav, JBL sound system, etc.). Between these two cars, I would pick the LS400 again. I just like the luxury from lexus. I think you should go with the Avalon for the budget sake.