Alignment W/ New Tires - Keeps Pulling To The Right

We just got new Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires installed, and immediately had the vehicle aligned afterwards (10 minutes afterwards!)

As we drove away, if we let go of the wheel we'd be in the next lane to the right within about 7 seconds. It's 3 days later, and we brought it back into the alignment shop and they tested it again, said it was absolutely perfect, and even took my wife on a test drive to show her. Of course, during the drive it veered into the right lane repeatedly, but the guy kept saying that was normal because of the crown of the road.

Well, I've been driving in Colorado for 14 years and haven't ever noticed such a distinct pull to the right.

Suggestions? Advice?

We just got new Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires installed, and immediately had the vehicle aligned afterwards (10 minutes afterwards!)

As we drove away, if we let go of the wheel we'd be in the next lane to the right within about 7 seconds. It's 3 days later, and we brought it back into the alignment shop and they tested it again, said it was absolutely perfect, and even took my wife on a test drive to show her. Of course, during the drive it veered into the right lane repeatedly, but the guy kept saying that was normal because of the crown of the road.

Well, I've been driving in Colorado for 14 years and haven't ever noticed such a distinct pull to the right.

Suggestions? Advice?

make sure the air pressure is corrrect - do it yourself -dont trust them to do it - a low tire will pull

otherwise start complaining --- this is not normal -- the squeaking wheel gets greased --keep at it

I'll have to try ours to see if I notice anything. So far, we've driven 2500 miles on our Alenzas and have had no problems at all.

the 400h is more sensitive to crowns on the road but it should track straight. not everyone can do an alignment properly on the 400h and i would tell the tire shop you are going to have the dealer check it and they should pay for an outside alignment if needed. it seems to me a fresh set of unbiased eyes are needed on your situation anyway. many of our 400h's are not staying in alignment so keep on top of this issue because as you know premature tire wear is a big issue on these cars, and poor alignment is one of the top reasons. personally im having more problem with rear alignment than front. dont be afraid to tell them you will reverse the charges onyour credit card if they do not agree to an independent exam.

Exactly - my OEM tires were nearly toast already at 18k miles - I'm sure due to the alignment issues known already. I will be going to Lexus in the near future for the 15k mile service and a few niggles under warranty so I'll have them check this too.

Exactly - my OEM tires were nearly toast already at 18k miles - I'm sure due to the alignment issues known already. I will be going to Lexus in the near future for the 15k mile service and a few niggles under warranty so I'll have them check this too.

When we got our Alenzas we got the lifetime alignment at Firestone for $130 and have it checked every 5000 miles - we're coming up on 15,000 miles on our Alenzas - the Goodyears barely made 20K. Firestone mentioned rebalancing every 10,000 for an additional $40.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have the actual alignment specs for the RX400h?

FRONT (Left & Right the same)

Camber: -1.3° to 0.2°

Caster: 2.0° to 3.5°

Toe: -0.10° to 0.10°

SAI: 9.8° to 11.3°

Included Angle: 8.5° to 11.5°

Cross Camber: -0.8° to 0.8°

Cross Caster: -0.8° to 0.8°

Total Toe: -0.20 to - 0.20°

REAR (Left & Right the same)

Camber: -1.1° to 0.2°

Toe: 0.05° to 0.20°

Total Toe: 0.09° to 0.39°

So I had my car aligned TWICE at the reputable shop in my area, and then took it to Lexus for them to do it at 250% of the price... But, they found that my rear right was way out of alignment already (-0.11 when specs are 0.05 - 0.20 !) They got that into spec, and it's certainly better. BUT it still wants to go right too much!

My dealer persuaded me to report a "slight pull to the right" at my first service and did a 4-wheel alignment. He claimed that proper alignment is critical on 400h's. My vehicle didn't pull before and it doesn't pull now.

Something must be wrong, W@nton.

Tom

• 9 months later...

This is the second post I'm reading about on the vehicle pulling to the right. Mine pulls to the right as well. It can't be coincidence that they all pull to the right. I don't know why lexus won't step in and fix this problem.

I actually had Lexus corporate tell me today that it will pull right because of the crown in the road as well. I proceeded to tell them that the rental they gave me doesn't pull right, that my car didn't pull right after they fixed it and further my corvette don't pull right either. I understand the road is crowned for water runoff, but anyone that believes that is going to make the car go to the right is a full on moron.

Suggestions? Advice?

Oh my gawd!! The "crown of the road" specification!!!!!!!!!!!! Back in the early 80's, I had a Mercedes that after installing new tires the shop suggested a wheel alignment. It didn't pull at all before the new tires. They did an alignment, and after driving off, it pulled hard to the right. I turned around and went back. The manager said "We'll check it out". They said it's within spec, and that it pulls because the "crown of the road". So I asked him "Which road and which crown" did they adjust the alignment?? I said "So Mecedes builds a $50,000 car that the steering pulls because the "crown of road"? I told him in so many words that he was full of ca-ca!!

I took my car to a specialty shop that only does chassis and alignments. The owner laughed when I told him my car just had an wheel alignment and it was adjusted for "the crown of some road", and that I wanted it aligned so it ignored any crown of the road! They fixed it in about 1 hour, and we test drove it. It drove straight. He said they always test drive the cars after alignment and unless there are mechanical issues or tire issues, they adjust the alignment specs to make the car drive straight!! He said it is not unusual to have to slightly modify and adjust from the factory alignment specs to make the steering track properly. According to him, having been in the business for 25 years, he said there is no reason for the steering geometry in a street vehicle to be set up to pull to the right or left!!