Headlights

Musky99

"ES350 HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT EXPERT NEEDED" but it was blocked.

The reason I started that thread was because I hoped there is one person who really knows what is going on.

Tom

You started a thread that asked someone to post to another thread, which doesn't make any sense. If you had started a thread that asked a question and then directed responses in that thread it would have stayed open.

"ES350 HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT EXPERT NEEDED" but it was blocked.

The reason I started that thread was because I hoped there is one person who really knows what is going on.

Tom

You started a thread that asked someone to post to another thread, which doesn't make any sense. If you had started a thread that asked a question and then directed responses in that thread it would have stayed open.

A new thread seemed very logical to me considering there was so much confusion in the former. There was so much conflicting information regarding a relative simple topic.

• 1 month later...
Hi there!!

I recently picked up my new ES350 and now have about 600 miles on it.

My prior seven vechicles have been Lincoln Town Cars and Cadillac Devilles and Fleetwoods so I'm very unfamiliar with Lexus products as of this point.

Last week-end we were driving back to our cottage from a dinner party and had occasion to use the headlights for the first time. I found the low beam range to be extremely low and could certainly see that they could present a significant danger on a two lane paved rural highway. The high beams were fine as well as the side range which was quite remarkable.

I thought that this was just a warranty issue and the local dealer would correct this problem when I took the car in for it's first visit.

The service manager told me when I called that he was aware of this problem and although he didn't understand why ALL Lexus products he has seen, as well as his own " Lexus sport utility " had this same characteristic Transport Canada had not ever investigated it, to his knowledge, and I assume that this means this condition is normal.

So far I like the car and was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem and if so has had it corrected by their dealer?

One other point being that the driver side of the low beam is noticeably dimmer even than the passenger side and the service manager told me that this was intentional and designed for oncoming traffic.

Thanking you in advance for your response to this post. :unsure:

Musky99,

What Lexus dealer do you take your ES to for service? Lexus of London? If so, how do you like them?

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I want to ask for an advice from you guys about my going to buy 1996 Lexus ES300 (177K). If it was maintainced well, shall I buy it and run it for another 50k without any major problems (tranny, engine, etc.) Off couse, I will keep to maintaince the car well. Any experience about problem with this car at this mileage? Please help me.

Thanks,

Hi,

I want to ask for an advice from you guys about my going to buy 1996 Lexus ES300 (177K). If it was maintainced well, shall I buy it and run it for another 50k without any major problems (tranny, engine, etc.) Off couse, I will keep to maintaince the car well. Any experience about problem with this car at this mileage? Please help me.

Thanks,

You're posting your question in the wrong forum. This forum is for '07-'08 ES350's

• 1 month later...

Do you think it's possible to exchange the left bulb with the right bulb? Or is there a left specific bulb and a right specific bulb. At first I thought the Drivers side was aimed lower than the right, but after my 5k service, the dealership stated they fixed it, then after my 10 k service they said they fixed it, but the left is still lower than the right. I did my own experiment and came to the conclusion that the left is actually dimmer than the right. Just wondering if the bulbs were side specific. This is really annoying that the lights can't get corrected. One serviceman told me "You'll have to get used to it." which is a very crappy answer for a $45k car. I like the AFS, but if I have to live with non level lighting, I'd rather go back to driving a Corolla.

The bulbs are the same, shape of the projectors and the aim of the lights are the issue.

The driver's headlight is supposed to be aimed lower to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. When they adjust them they're adjusting them within spec.

Hi there!!

I recently picked up my new ES350 and now have about 600 miles on it.

My prior seven vechicles have been Lincoln Town Cars and Cadillac Devilles and Fleetwoods so I'm very unfamiliar with Lexus products as of this point.

Last week-end we were driving back to our cottage from a dinner party and had occasion to use the headlights for the first time. I found the low beam range to be extremely low and could certainly see that they could present a significant danger on a two lane paved rural highway. The high beams were fine as well as the side range which was quite remarkable.

I thought that this was just a warranty issue and the local dealer would correct this problem when I took the car in for it's first visit.

The service manager told me when I called that he was aware of this problem and although he didn't understand why ALL Lexus products he has seen, as well as his own " Lexus sport utility " had this same characteristic Transport Canada had not ever investigated it, to his knowledge, and I assume that this means this condition is normal.

So far I like the car and was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem and if so has had it corrected by their dealer?

One other point being that the driver side of the low beam is noticeably dimmer even than the passenger side and the service manager told me that this was intentional and designed for oncoming traffic.

Thanking you in advance for your response to this post. :unsure:

Musky99,

What Lexus dealer do you take your ES to for service? Lexus of London? If so, how do you like them?

:cheers:

Hi Lexusfreak!

I see that you live in St.Thomas so you're a neighbour.

To answer your question I do take my car to Lexus of London but have not driven it enough ( 5000kms ) to have had it serviced yet and the service manager told me that since it is basically stored for the winter months that I could wait until spring to get my first service.

I purchased the car from them and have had dealings with the Gen.Mgr. (TotoyaTown) as well as the sales Mgr. who has recently been promoted from salesman ( he sold me the car ) and both of the service attendents and have enjoyed the limited dealings I have had with them all. I purchased a K&N air filter for the car last summer and they installed it for me as the effort to get to the air box was a little over my head until I watched someone with knowledge do it in front of me. ( no charge! )

As far as the headlight problem is concerned I called Lexus of Canada with my findings and they sent a factory tech. to Lexus of London to show their service personel how to adjust the lights and I will be getting that done when I take the car in for its first service in April. I hope it improves the night lighting.

Lastly, and a little off topic , I would just like to say how impressive the feedback from my only other post, which was on June 29th., has been. This truly is an amazing forum and I make it a point to stop by every month or so for a very entertaining read.

The bulbs are the same, shape of the projectors and the aim of the lights are the issue.

The driver's headlight is supposed to be aimed lower to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. When they adjust them they're adjusting them within spec.

Do you have documentation of this? Where can I find out that the lights are supposed to be uneven. Even the dealership cannot provide literature that the drivers side is supposed to be aimed lower. Everone just says "It's supposed to be that way, probably because its so oncoming traffic doesn't get blinded." everyone says that, but no one can provide proof. Annoying.

Do you have documentation of this? Where can I find out that the lights are supposed to be uneven. Even the dealership cannot provide literature that the drivers side is supposed to be aimed lower. Everone just says "It's supposed to be that way, probably because its so oncoming traffic doesn't get blinded." everyone says that, but no one can provide proof. Annoying.

If you look at the beam pattern for most headlights you will see that in low beam mode the pattern slants upward slightly from left to right. Beyond and at the point where the beams merge that makes it look as if the right lamp is aimed higher. Insofar as I know both beams are always leveled/aimed to/at the same elevation.

Theres no literature, thats just how headlamp beam patterns are designed per DOT in the US, have been for many many years.

Go to some of the websites for automotive lighting makers like Sylvania or Philips and look for diagrams of the beam patterns, you'll see the passenger side pattern goes much farther down the road than the driver. its "aimed higher".

In reality its not really that the bulb is aimed lower, its the shape of the reflectors.