New Front Rotors And Pads

67_390gt

Yesterday I replaced the front pads and rotors on my 1999 RX300. It seems like the pads on the caliper piston sides are rubbing the most. It is not too bad but it is defiantly noticeable. It seems like there is no way for the pads to retract from the rotors because the pads are held in by the metal clips and can not move freely. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

The pads always rub, but the caliper locating pins may need lubing, The caliper may be binding on the pin. Take the caliper mounting pins out and lube with a good quality lithium based grease, make sure there are no burrs on the pins or heavy wear marks in the steel pin. They can be bought and replaced. There is a rubber boot over the pin becareful with the boot. it can be slid off and the pin can be cleaned up with some 400 grit sandpaper and then cleaned and lubed. The caliper basically floats on these pins and must not bind. Also remember to break in the new pads, some stops at 20 mph, 30mph, and then just drive. good luck

I replaced the metal clips today and lubed the floats it defiantly helped. It just seems like a strange that the pads are always supposed to be in slight contact with the rotors. This is different then my 95 jeep grand Cherokee. Thank you for your help, I will be doing the rears tomorrow.

Now I have another problem. The check engine light comes on sometimes. Not all the time. Does this sound like a particular problem?

I replaced the metal clips today and lubed the floats it defiantly helped. It just seems like a strange that the pads are always supposed to be in slight contact with the rotors. This is different then my 95 jeep grand Cherokee. Thank you for your help, I will be doing the rears tomorrow.

Now I have another problem. The check engine light comes on sometimes. Not all the time. Does this sound like a particular problem?

Go to a Autozone or other parts store that will read the codes for free. Tell us what codes are stored in the ECU. Then maybe we can help you.

• 2 weeks later...

The check engine light was off for the last week. However, yesterday it came back on. I had it checked and it came back as a throttle position sensor error. I know that the sensor tells the computer where the throttle is, but what is it used for? Is it used for the variable timing? Would it be easy to replace? Or expensive?

It may just need cleaning. The throttle plate in the intake manifold is probably carboned up and making the sensor stick. Taking the air box off and cleaning with CRC throttle plate cleaner may resolve it. Sorry I am having a senior moment and cant remember the name of that darn thing. I know it has been covered in these forums.... Help somebody.

• 1 month later...

Hey RXers,

Question. I am at about 83,000 miles and I hear my brakes starting to squeak when I brake at low speeds. I am pretty sure my brakes need replacement now. Last time I checked they were about 30% life left.

1) Question: Should I just get all four of my rotors replaced now while I am at it? Or is it only necessary to get only the front two replaced? (I do get the steering wheel shake when I brake hard at FAST speeds...I believe this is from the warped rotors that others mention on the forum)

2) Newb question here: So I'm at the Iron toad website and I see Front Rotor for the RX listed at $78.86/each and rear AWD rotor for $84.04. These prices are only for one rotor, right? Meaning these things are not sold in pairs like the "Front Brake Pads". In other words, if I wanted to repair all four rotors, I'd have to fork out $324+. Add in another $90 for the front and rear brake pads and I have myself a total $414 just for the materials...

I am not sure what the life expectancy of rotors typically are but maybe some of you all have some insight into this.

Let me know what you guys think.

(I wonder how much this project would cost at Lexus...probably $1G at least)

go to Tirerack.com they have BREMBO rotors for less and Akebono pads. great combination, I would only replace the front rotors and all brake pads (front and rear) and then you are good to go..

go to Tirerack.com they have BREMBO rotors for less and Akebono pads. great combination, I would only replace the front rotors and all brake pads (front and rear) and then you are good to go..

Thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate it. Did you actually do the work yourself, take it to a dealership, or a private shop? Just wondering what people are doing here.

Also does anyone know if Akebono provides the OEM pads to Lexus or is it a different manufacterer?

Thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate it. Did you actually do the work yourself, take it to a dealership, or a private shop? Just wondering what people are doing here.

Also does anyone know if Akebono provides the OEM pads to Lexus or is it a different manufacterer?

Both my original pads and the replacements purchased from Lexus were made by Akebono. There is a manufacturing number stamped on the pad frame which traces back to Akebono.

I actually did the work myself, It is really quite easy, however I have been working on cars a long time as a hobby and to survive while raising three kids. By the way the Akebono pads have already gone 70k miles so far, and the Brembo disks are looking great....

I actually did the work myself, It is really quite easy, however I have been working on cars a long time as a hobby and to survive while raising three kids. By the way the Akebono pads have already gone 70k miles so far, and the Brembo disks are looking great....

Good stuff. Alright...I am sold. I just purchased two Brembo rotors and the Akebono pads for the Silversport. Will let you know how the install goes.