Im A Noob (we All Have So Start Somewhere....)

Hey everyone

I recently was going to get a 944 Porsche (1987) but decided that if i needed repair, well, I would have to sell my house before I do it.

SO, i still wanted a fast car and pretty classy. I was on craigslist and I just thought of looking for a lexus, and to my surprise, that prcing wasn't bad. Im really interested in the 1998 5-speed auto SC400 (black preferably) The mpg isn't bad (cosidering it has a V8 4 liter) and its has abot 290-300 hp (thats what ive read, but im not sure)

Anyways, Im gonna go to college this fall, so I won't have alot of money to spend on gas (especially with the prices these days...... :censored: ) Does anyone know how to make this a bit more fuel effecient? can lexus's easily hit 200k on miles? and is repair expensive as hell? if ANYONE (excepet noobs such as myself) can answer this i really appreciate it. and btw, i can't find ANY headlights for the 98 sc400. am i the only one, or do i just suck at searching?

thanks in advance

Mine is a 1993 SC400. If I drive somewhat normally, I can go a week on $70 in gas. I drive 45 miles each day for work round trip, then weekend driving. As far as repairs, only thing I've fixed so far is one new brake rotor in the back, it was about $30 for the part, put it on myself. My PS pump is leaking, and Lexus wants $475 for just the part (this is a common problem btw). I can rebuild mine for about $60 in parts, or get a rebuilt online for $2-300.

That's all I know right now.

givemeyourwife, For a used headlight this site...R & J Dist www.randjdistributing.com or gazi.ali@gmail.com both are reliable vendors for clublexus.com.

The link to the classified section

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Club member selling one

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...ght=head+lights

ok, finally, some iinput :) so, i have another question. what is a sc400 soarer or speedo? makes no sense to me......can't even guess lol

Soarer is the toyota branded SC, Sold in japan. All sc's are lexus in the states. ( Luxury EXport United States ) ;)

Hey everyone

I recently was going to get a 944 Porsche (1987) but decided that if i needed repair, well, I would have to sell my house before I do it.

SO, i still wanted a fast car and pretty classy. I was on craigslist and I just thought of looking for a lexus, and to my surprise, that prcing wasn't bad. Im really interested in the 1998 5-speed auto SC400 (black preferably) The mpg isn't bad (cosidering it has a V8 4 liter) and its has abot 290-300 hp (thats what ive read, but im not sure)

Anyways, Im gonna go to college this fall, so I won't have alot of money to spend on gas (especially with the prices these days...... :censored: ) Does anyone know how to make this a bit more fuel effecient? can lexus's easily hit 200k on miles? and is repair expensive as hell? if ANYONE (excepet noobs such as myself) can answer this i really appreciate it. and btw, i can't find ANY headlights for the 98 sc400. am i the only one, or do i just suck at searching?

thanks in advance

A couple of things you can do for better gas mileage is put in a better air filter and buy something called a condensator ( http://www.condensatorsales.com/ )

With these two additions ive gotten an average of 22/28 on my sc300, which usually gets 18/24

As far as reliability, the vehicle will easily outlast any German or American vehicle on the road - the idea behind lexus is that toyota wanted to create vehicles that could compete with other luxury vehicles in the performance and comfort field and remain as reliable as the rest of the toyota lineup. In this task, they have succeeded - as they have won many awards for being the most reliable vehicles on the road.

But when repairs are needed, which doesnt happen all that often, the lexus dealer will rape you for everything your worth. Fortunately however, you can usually take your vehicle to a toyota dealership and they will be able to repair it, or you can get onto a forum (such as this one) and ask about your problem then fix it yourself. So, in the end, the vehicle will last more than 200k miles and you can almost certainly get it repaired with minimal damage to your wallet.

ohhhhh, cuz i saw some soarers on youtube and they were freakin fast. are the normal sc400's that fast? can u get a hold of a soarer in the us?

Occasionally, They are usually imported.

Wow, I had no idea Lexus was an acronym. Are there any performance improvement/decrease as far as power and speed with those condensator things?

The condensator actually adds horsepower because it acts somewhat like a gas filter and it removes elements that cannot be used as fuel - when i first heard of it i thought it was a gimmick but it really did give me better mileage and a slight increase in power

By the way schott thank you for the pictures from your 6-disk mounting job, they really helped