Catalytic Converter

ok....here is my problem. when ever i accelerate, especially b4 the engine is at operating temp, i hear a rattle of metal. the guy i bought the car from claimed that it was the heatshield on the header, but i dont think it is. i got under the car and noticed that it came from where the header pipe hits the CAT....is there a gasket or something down there? i hope its not too costly, bc right now i need to save for a timing belt replacement!

THANKS!

It sounds like something inside the Catalytic Converter broke loose and when it heats up the expansion of the internal parts stops rattling. I hope I'm wrong for your sake 'cause it's a pretty expensive part.

this happened on my old SSEi. The honeycomb element inside the cat broke loose and was rattling around in the housing. Oddly enough, my inspection readings were very low, so even loose it was still working.

The guy at a muffler shop up here (Speedy Muffler) said I could leave it alone and live with the rattle, or he could cut out the cat and clamp or weld a new cat in. I opted for that, $250 for parts and labor. The rattle was gone and the car actually sounded a deeper growl. I miss that throaty sound.

Anywho, I found it was inside the cat by safely raising and supporting the car. Crawl under the car and take a whack at the exhaust pipe with a large rubber mallet. Hit the pipe where there is no heat shield. Listen for any rattle. If your cat element is loose, you will know it. Bring a friend, 4 ears in different locations are better than 2.

steviej

To SW03ES: yes there is a heatshield i believe. i havent thouroughly investigated yet bc my jacks are too damn tall. im gonna bring it to school, they have a lift :D

I will check for that loose honeycomb.

I'll post the results when they happen ;)

Thanks for the help guys (possible gals too :magic: )