Had The Rx400h For Nearly 2 Weeks Now.....

and have clocked up about 600 miles - a mixture of city and freeway. Still learning the finer points of the vehicle, but so far very pleased - espcially with the MPG :-)

I'm a little suprised for such a technologically advance vehicle it has dino oil and needs an oil change every 5000 miles or so - I'm used to fully synthetic oil and oil changes every year of 12,000 miles.

I've read quite a few threads and I'm going to provide Mobil 1 5-30 for the 2nd oil change at 10,000 miles and thereafter only have the oil changed at 12,000 miles / yearly intervals.

That is unless I hear compelling evidence as to why this is a bad idea.

My other cars use Mobil 1 0-40W, maybe this is a better viscosity for the Rx ?

FYI Had a clear 3M bra installed - not exactly inexpensive, but looks pretty invisible and gives some degree of peace of mind against paint chips etc. I'd recommend it.

and have clocked up about 600 miles - a mixture of city and freeway. Still learning the finer points of the vehicle, but so far very pleased - espcially with the MPG :-)

I'm a little suprised for such a technologically advance vehicle it has dino oil and needs an oil change every 5000 miles or so - I'm used to fully synthetic oil and oil changes every year of 12,000 miles.

I've read quite a few threads and I'm going to provide Mobil 1 5-30 for the 2nd oil change at 10,000 miles and thereafter only have the oil changed at 12,000 miles / yearly intervals.

FYI Had a clear 3M bra installed - not exactly inexpensive, but looks pretty invisible and gives some degree of peace of mind against paint chips etc. I'd recommend it.

How much did it cost and what was involved? I'm going in to the dealership tomorrow to talk some more about buying a 400h. I belive in research, research and more research.:whistles:

BTW -- How does one go about recharging one's battery after leaving the lights on (for instance) and running it all the way down. There was discussion around here of some folks having done that ...

I also have had mine for about 2-3 weeks and love it!! If you want to keep your factory warranty in effect I would reccommend that you change your oil every 5000 miles....no matter what oil you choose.

I agree. I would not change the viscosity or interval until the warranty is up. Many of Toyota's sludge issues were due to customers' extending of their oil change intervals. I don't think that there is danger in using synthetic oil; it's just that if anything engine-related should happen, your telling the Lexus dealership that you changed the oil every year will probably not go over well when it comes to their deciding what they will pay for.

I change the oil in my Corvette (Mobil 1 5W-30, but soon to be Royal Purple) once per year, but the Lexus gets anti-sludge Castrol 5W-30 every 5 months.

I had the 3M bra installed by a local 'bumper doc' company I've used several times in the past for 'dings' and had always been pleased with their work. They quoted $725 to install a bra which covers the bumper, front of the hood, head lights and fenders plus door mirrors.

The kit comes pre cut and takes several hours to install.

Overall I'm very pleased with it and it's practically invisible unless you know where to look. I likely could have gotten it installed a little cheaper elsewhere, but preferred to use a shop I know.

Maybe you can cut a deal with the dealership ?

In any event good luck with your purchase - I'm sure you'll be very happy with an RX400h

Regards Tim

How much did it cost and what was involved? I'm going in to the dealership tomorrow to talk some more about buying a 400h. I belive in research, research and more research.:whistles:

Hi Neighbor Rx400h,

I notice you're in SD also - I'm in Scripps Ranch.

The warranty issue and changing to sythetic did pass through my mind - still I have a year or so to decide what to do. Just seems very odd to me that Lexus is still recommending dino oil when it's known to cause sludge issues when left un-changed for too long whereas synthetics are much better in this respect and others.

My previous SUV was a Mercedes ML430, I had synthetic in that from 5,000 miles - in fact before MB recommended changing from Dino oil because they were also having sludge issues at 12,000 mile intervals.

Maybe Lexus will come to the same conclusion - unless of course they want to see the vehicle every 5000 miles for other reasons.

Regards Tim

I agree. I would not change the viscosity or interval until the warranty is up. Many of Toyota's sludge issues were due to customers' extending of their oil change intervals. I don't think that there is danger in using synthetic oil; it's just that if anything engine-related should happen, your telling the Lexus dealership that you changed the oil every year will probably not go over well when it comes to their deciding what they will pay for.

I change the oil in my Corvette (Mobil 1 5W-30, but soon to be Royal Purple) once per year, but the Lexus gets anti-sludge Castrol 5W-30 every 5 months.

I would never do this for one reason, Lexus wants you to have theoil changed every 5000 miles and specifically states the use of synthetic oil DOES NOT remove their reccomendation for changes every 5k. I change the oil in my ES and my Prius with Mobil 1 5W-30 every 5k miles. If you ever have an issue with the car, you'll know that you've maintained it to Lexus' specifications.

Oil changes are cheap and easy, no reason to take a chance.

Hello, Neighbor Tim! I worked in Scripps Ranch for more than 16 years, but now work in Sorrento Valley. Even so, you may see our RX in Scripps Ranch, as my wife works in that area. We live in Penesquitos - not too far from you.

Regarding oil, I can't figure out why Lexus is still using dino oil, either. I use it in my Mazda MX6 GT turbo as well.

Dave

Steve (SW), from what I understand about the oil change intervals, if 5 months rolls around and your Lexus has only (let's say) 3000 miles on it since the last change, the oil should be changed (according to Lexus) - correct? I don't think this is necessary, but a warranty is a warranty.......

Hi Dave,

Small world - I also work in Sorrento valley in telecomms - we'll have to meet up sometime as I live in New Scripps ranch just South of Scripps Poway Parkway.

OK about the dino oil and Lexus - maybe they're just being cautious and will make a different recommendation in due course. In the meantime it looks like 5000 mile oil changes are in my future.

It's not the cost which bugs me - just the inconvenience and time it takes to go down the dealer. I used to do my own oil changes in 20 minutes max using a 'mity vac' to suck the old oil out via the dip-stick. The oil filter being on top of the engine made it so easy. Seems the RX400h is not quite so convenient.

Regards Tim

Hello, Neighbor Tim! I worked in Scripps Ranch for more than 16 years, but now work in Sorrento Valley. Even so, you may see our RX in Scripps Ranch, as my wife works in that area. We live in Penesquitos - not too far from you.

Regarding oil, I can't figure out why Lexus is still using dino oil, either. I use it in my Mazda MX6 GT turbo as well.

Dave

Steve (SW), from what I understand about the oil change intervals, if 5 months rolls around and your Lexus has only (let's say) 3000 miles on it since the last change, the oil should be changed (according to Lexus) - correct? I don't think this is necessary, but a warranty is a warranty.......

Yep, thats how it works. Never a problem with the Lexus, but we do often wind up changing the oil in the Prius at 5 months.

Might be inconvienient but when Lexus knows you take care of the vehicle, they'll take care of you.

i agree. Lexus has known and also have been involved in a class action lawsuit with the sludging on the old RX300. I, being not so handy with the engine, went to lexus every 5,000 miles as states like it was part of my routine. Anyways, i even had the RX300 AWD which is known for both transmission failure and the sludging. To say the least, even though it was a lease, i still took very good care of it. Anyways, at 95,000 miles, it was time to return it, and i didnt have a single problem with either of those issues. call it luck, or just the 5,000 miles intervals.

as for the battery that some have asked about, the car has two. The regular battery in the front for your lights and obviously the hybrid batteries in the floor. You dont need to charge those obviously, but it is entirely possible to lose your battery up front in the engine and need a jump start. Each battery does its own and does not mix with one another.

Being only about an hour north of you (and reletives in San Diego), I'm fully aware how nice and mild your weather is. Only Hawaii has a warmer - mild year-round temperature. That being said, why would anyone in S.D. want to run multi vis oil? You say you want to run your oil for extended mileage, but the multi vis factor is one of the things that breaks down over extended time. That's another reason to NOT over-run your oil.

As to multi vis oil, on the other hand, WE travel from here to MT a few times a year. THERE, one could justify multi vis oil, because the temps run from minus temps, to 95+. But when we bring the 400h down to so. cal permanently, expecially here, where our temps are so mild, the low vis factor is simply a waste . . . even if your just going up to the local ski lifts, the temps are seldom lower than 20+. IMO.

Actually, the days of running straight 30W are long gone, even for temperate climates. This is especially true when it comes to synthetic oil. A 5W-30 covers just about any climate swing here in the US. Synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30 is easily good for 12,000 miles or 1 year. I change my own oil and the RX400h is not an easy vehicle when it comes to doing this. This is why I can see Tim's point about extending the frequency of changes with synthetic oil. Even going to the dealership consumes quite a bit of time.

Tim,

That sounds like a plan; we're probably neighbors here in Sorrento Valley during the day!

Dave

Actually, the days of running straight 30W are long gone, even for temperate climates. This is especially true when it comes to synthetic oil. A 5W-30 covers just about any climate swing here in the US. Synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30 is easily good for 12,000 miles or 1 year. I change my own oil and the RX400h is not an easy vehicle when it comes to doing this. This is why I can see Tim's point about extending the frequency of changes with synthetic oil. Even going to the dealership consumes quite a bit of time.

Tim,

That sounds like a plan; we're probably neighbors here in Sorrento Valley during the day!

Dave

What is is about the RX400h oil change that is difficult?

(filter location? room to manuver?)

Thanks,

/Steve

Steve,

I find that I have to remove approx. 6 screws from a bottom panel so that I can reach up and grab/get a wrench on the filter. It is literally out-of-sight. When I DO loosen it, the oil drips everywhere. I have to spend an extra 10 minutes to try to clean all the oil from various parts of the car. Using a K&N filter helps because it has a welded-on nut that makes rotating the filter much easier.

Dave