Keep It Clean!

Rya

I'm new to the Lexus club (I've owned my '04 RX330 in Breakwater Blue Metallic for one week now). What types of cleaning products or processes do you do to keep your vehicle clean? I'd like to take it somewhere for a waxing, but that's all for now. Are automatic car washes ok, do you really have to flip the mirrors in every time? How about keeping the wood shiney & smooth and how in the world do you keep the light gray floor mats clean? The dealership got me brand new floor mats & the next day they were dirty - should I change the mats to the black or keep the gray & clean them somehow? Thanks for the advise! (Oh, btw, I'm not going to be spending hours cleaning this thing & my hubby won't be either - I'm lucky that the lawn gets mowed every week! I need fast & easy, thanks!).

Simple Green for the wheels and tires: spray on heavy, scrub tires with a brush, wipe wheels with a cloth, rinse clean.

I don't use automatic car washes, for they use too much pressure in some areas, and miss completely in others. I hear the 'touchless' carwash is decent, but I've never used one. Full service car washes like Octopus and others are nice, but they have a team of people actually hand washing/drying to ensure all surfaces are cleaned. I just use a bucket and mitt, and with the smooth design of these vehicles, you can wash one down in ~20 minutes.

Once washed, shuck the water with a California Waterblade, then wipe down with a towel or shammy.

Once dry, spray tire sidewalls with Turtle Wax Black Magic or Westley's Tire Wet... don't wipe, just let dry.

As for waxing, if you want to take the task on yourself, NuFinish is awesome stuff... goes on easy, comes off easy, and lasts a long, long time. If you take it somewhere for waxing, just make sure they use good stuff (most places do).

For interior carpets, I use a steam vac that i have for the house... just use the attachments. It cleans up floor mats and carpeting great. If I were you, I'd get a nice set of cloth floor mats in dark gray, no black. Costco used to sell a very nice set for something like $25. You can trash those out, but then put in your factory ones when you get ready to sell.

I'm in the same boat where my wife and I are lucky if we get enough time to get the lawn mowed before it starts to take over the place, but I've got it down to where an hour's time and a little elbow grease leaves our rides looking stellar.

I'm new to the Lexus club (I've owned my '04 RX330 in Breakwater Blue Metallic for one week now). What types of cleaning products or processes do you do to keep your vehicle clean? I'd like to take it somewhere for a waxing, but that's all for now. Are automatic car washes ok, do you really have to flip the mirrors in every time? How about keeping the wood shiney & smooth and how in the world do you keep the light gray floor mats clean? The dealership got me brand new floor mats & the next day they were dirty - should I change the mats to the black or keep the gray & clean them somehow? Thanks for the advise! (Oh, btw, I'm not going to be spending hours cleaning this thing & my hubby won't be either - I'm lucky that the lawn gets mowed every week! I need fast & easy, thanks!).

Pour yourself a cold one :cheers: And get into some top shelf reading/suggestions. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=9 This will give you a real good feel on what YOU want to use.

One could spend hours going through and trying different approaches on detailing/cleaning/washing/waxing... I used to try everything from Xymol to clay-barring. All said and done, unless you've got problems with your paint, a good hand/mitt washing, regular waxing, and a few detailing tips will keep your ride looking top shape. Heck, you're going to be driving it out in the muck and debris of the environment and roadway soon after, so unless it's a show car, it's probably not worth the massive time and energy detailing it to the last spec.

Oh, another thing, if you've got cloudy/hazy headlight covers, basic $2/can rubbing compound works wonders.

Definitely trust the people with black cars, they know all about keeping the finish looking good :D

Just FYI I know Nu Finish was mentioned, and I remember that its actually a polish not a wax. I honestly dont know if it makes any difference but I remember being cautioned to stay away from polishes because they contain abrasives and you may trade a nice shine in the short run for paint problems in the long run. Could have it wrong,a nd I'm sure someone else can expound and clarify this but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Personally, I'm not a real "finish freak" (and theres absolutely nothing wrong with being one) but I use Meguires Gold class paste about every 3-4 months and that seems to keep things looking fine. Then again, our RX is a color that hides virtually anything ( sandy gold color)

Definitely trust the people with black cars, they know all about keeping the finish looking good :D

Just FYI I know Nu Finish was mentioned, and I remember that its actually a polish not a wax. I honestly dont know if it makes any difference but I remember being cautioned to stay away from polishes because they contain abrasives and you may trade a nice shine in the short run for paint problems in the long run. Could have it wrong,a nd I'm sure someone else can expound and clarify this but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Personally, I'm not a real "finish freak" (and theres absolutely nothing wrong with being one) but I use Meguires Gold class paste about every 3-4 months and that seems to keep things looking fine. Then again, our RX is a color that hides virtually anything ( sandy gold color)

I might add, I own 2 black on black lexus automobiles and find taking care of the finish a hobby. If you make it out to be work, You'll lose interest. Just like reading posts. That's why I said "Pour yourself a cold one". Nothing wrong with self education. Is there ?:cheers: All is good.

Nothing wrong at all... and I didn't realize there was a detailing forum in here... it'll be interesting reading for me, too (I saw a thread on there about the hazy headlights, that's why I threw in the note about the polishing compound)! Thanks for the link, DCFish!! I just thought Rya might look at that and think, "uhh... can you just give me the 'skinny' on detailing," since she seemed to saying she was looking for quick and easy.

You make a good point, Tmastres, for there is a difference in NuFinish from waxes. Most 'waxes' have some sort of a polish in them, unless specifically specified. NuFinish is a synthetic polish with no wax in it, which is a reason it lasts so freakishly long. I had water still beading on the paint of my 4Runner a year after using a generous treatment of the NuFinish paste, and it goes on and comes off easily. Too bad it only comes in white... not the easiest to get off a black finish if you have any road nicks/chips <_<

I've done my share of body work and repaints in the past, and the only down side to NuFinish and sythetnic polishes is that they really imbed into the paint. If/when you go to repaint, you can get fish-eyes (little bubbles) or wetting issues due to the residual polish. Organic waxes wash off quite easily in prepping for paint... sythetics don't and need to be essentially stripped (which is why they last so long). So, with that said, unless you are considering repainting your vehcile at some point, using a synthetic polish will give you a longest lasting and most durable shine from anything on the market today.

For a little more insight, here's what the NuFinish site says in their FAQ:

Q: What is the difference between a polish and a conventional wax?

A: Conventional waxes don't last long because the common ingredient in these products, carnauba wax, breaks down quickly from everyday conditions. Neither Nu Finish Liquid nor Paste Car Polish contain carnauba waxes. No other liquid or paste products can make that claim!

Nu Finish is made up of a series of zinc cross-linking polymer emulsions that help Nu Finish last longer than any other polish on the market. This is why Nu Finish is called "The-Once-A-Year Car Polish." Watch how Nu Finish makes water bead month after month.

Check out the detailing forum and also www.autopia.org. TONS of info both places.

Couple things I want to throw in:

1. NEVER, EVER, EVER use simple green on wheels. Simple Green is incredibly harsh and it will destroy the clearcoated finish on the wheels. All you need to do is wash them with whatever you use to wash the paint.

2. NuFinish is chock full of solvents and abrasives. Tons of better products out there and I would never use NuFinish on any modern car. Plus, any product that implies its a "once a year product" is BS, the MOST you can expect any product to provide protection to a vehicle that is driven daily and in weather is 6 months, according to my experience and industry testing the longest lasting product out there is probably Zaino, although I've never liked how it looks on a car. Stay away from NuFinish.

1) I've used Simple Green on wheels for YEARS... never, ever had any problems what so ever. Everyone comments how my vehicles look like new, and I just sold a '98 4Runner for top dollar because it did look like new... and that's after years of using Simple Green on the wheels (and NuFinish on the paint). It's a great degreaser and brake dust and grime pretty much fall right off the wheels using it with an old wash mitt (I never use the same mitt for wheel cleaning that you do for paint, and I never, ever use a brush on the wheels, but I use a brush on the tires). I would think all the grime, gunk, brake dust, residue, and everything else out on the roadway that wheels get exposed to would do much worse damage than anything Simple Green could do; if Simple Green was damaging to a set of wheels, then those are probably pretty poor quality wheels and nearly everything else will damage them.

2) I've also used NuFinish for YEARS... again, never ever had any problems with it what so ever. Again, everyone always comments how my vehicles look like new. If it was that bad, one would think it wouldn't make cars look so good... everything from my old 4Runner to my old, old Acura Legend to my older RX. If you are concerned with abrasives, you might want to consider the abrasiveness of physically applying waxes and polishes (not to mention buffing them off) and if one can reduce that effort to once or twice a year, that would be less abrasiveness than anything in NuFinish. Washing the vehicle is probably more abrasive than anything NuFinish does, especially if one towel-dries the vehicle with a cotton towel. On top of it all, UV rays from the sun is always causing a little oxidation, and a little polish (especially if it's only used once or twice a year) is probably a good thing to keep your vehicle looking shiny, deep, and rich.

I wouldn't suggest a product unless I really had good results with it. I've had REALLY good results from NuFinish for the paint, and Simple Green when cleaning wheels and tires... especially when both products produce such good results with such minimal effort.

I, too, have used Simple Green for years on coated wheels. I bought a spray bottle at the store and use 1/4 Simple Green and 3/4 water. Spray, brush with a soft bristle brush, use a thin brush (the kind for spokes works well) to get behind the wide wheel spokes, rinse. When I spray SG on the wheels it isn't on there long enough to do any damage, and I doubt that it is strong enough to damage clear coat or paint, anyhow. I use SG full strength after oil changes to clear up any oil spatters or drops on various engine parts.

I used Nu Finish for a while but now I have switched to Meguiar's and I really like it.

http://www.meguiars.com/?liquid-car-waxes/...lass-Liquid-Wax

Honestly, though, I can't imagine any wax, polish, or other "make it shiny product" ;) that will last more than a few months. Considering the harsh environment our cars live in, a once-a-quarter waxing is in my car's future.

The ONE THING that I really like is a random orbital polisher. My personal preference is Porter Cable.

http://www.pakshak.com/porter-cable-7336.html

I use the foam pads from Meguiars and I can tell you that using a RO unit can make wax application a 30 minute job. In addition, you don't wind up with sore sholders and the end result is a better application of wax, imo. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with elbow grease and a good sweat when applying wax but I can use all of the time saving products available. My son actually enjoys waxing cars now that I use my Porter Cable system. He likes it so much that I bought him one for graduation from college. Out of all the presents he got, he told me his RO Porter Cable was the one that he appreciated the most.

Gary

Your choice, but I would never use Simple Green on wheels unless they were one last ditch effort away from being replaced or refinished. Plenty of other wheel specific products out there, or even just plain ol' car wash soap works fine if the vehicle is washed regularly.

As for NuFinish, I'm not saying its going to damage your paint but its definately a "don't know any better" product. TONS of better, easier to use, and more technique appropriate products out there. Applying waxes and polishes is not an abrasive process if you do it properly, and anyways its a moot point because NuFinish doesn't actually last a year. Washing a vehicle also is not abrasive at all if its done properly, certainly FAR less so than NuFinish. Its a harsh cleaner wax, its SUPPOSED to be abrasive because its a one step product. Tons of better stuff out there. Show me a car waxed with NuFinish and I'll show you a car detailed using good products and techniques. You'll be blown away, no contest.

The fact of the matter is modern paint is very durable and very resistant to dulling and fading. Detailing nowadays is really more for overall vehicle condition than something which MUST be done to preserve the finish of the vehicle. I've seen cars simply driven through a carwash once a month that are in quite good condition after 5-6 years and with a little TLC look as if they've been detailed all their lives. Just because your cars look good after being cleaned with simple green and waxed with NuFinish says nothing for those products. I've used them all, and NuFinish is not something I would ever choose to use again.

:chairshot: "Just because your cars look good after being cleaned with simple green and waxed with NuFinish says nothing for those products." ....uh, (scratching head in confusion) you know that's pretty much the purpose of those products, right? To clean your vehicle and keep it looking good? Usually, if they keep it looking good, then they are doing their job and says a lot about the product, right?

Sorry, SW03ES, no offense, but I just don't really see anything tangible in your posts... I mean, you've got a lot of generalities in there, like "washing a vehicle isn't abrasive if done properly" (but then you say nothing of technique or applicatoin) or "NuFinish is a harsh wax cleaner", and "NuFinish is chock full of solvents and abrasives". You know, that doesn't really tell me anything other than evoke a visceral response. I mean, as I'm sure you know, water is considered a 'solvent'. Plus, when any two surface rub against each other, that interaction is abrasive to some degree (unless they don't make contact). So, using the terms you use, simply washing a vehicle is 'chock full of 'solvents' and 'abrasives''. That doesn't really give anyone a perspective of whether it is a good thing or not.

With a background in polymer development, I can attest for the differences in organics verses synthetics. Since washing/cleaning and waxing/polishing is essentially a surface treatment, one could parallel things such as mold releases, surface treatments, and surfactants. If anyone has done repeated moldling, they know simple waxes and oils work well as a release, but they disipate quickly and require repeated applications... on the other hand, synthetics (like silicone and teflon) last significantly longer per treatment, but leave a residue behind (but they work longer because the do leave residues in the mold). This is pretty much the same effect with sythetic polishes: they last longer because they bond better and remain longer on the finish surface, but if you ever go to repaint your vehcile you have to get rid of the residue.

Don't be fooled to think other products with wax don't use polishes and solvents, for I'm sure they've got some water in them :P

As for other products, there are some other great products out there. Mother's makes a great line of car care, as does Meguiar's and Eagle One. Many of these are multi-step products using a degreaser, cleaner, polish, then followed by a wax. They leave excellent results, but the difference isn't readily noticeable when compared to just a quicky wax/polish from something like NuFinish (I've tried so many different products/techniques, and the end results weren't dramatic enough to warrant the extra work involved), especially when used on a daily driver... and especially when it's an older vehicle.

I agree that modern paint is extremely durable (and in recent years automakers have finally figured out how to make a silver that doesn't fade), which lends to it needing minimal care just to keep that nice finish. Perhaps others enjoy the whole process of cleaning and waxing, as I do when I have the time (I hear ya Grumpa72 on getting a nice power buffer/polisher to really make the job enjoyable!!), but with my busy schedule I need something that is one step, goes on easily, comes off easily (but I still use my power buffer/polisher ;-), and last a long time... which is another subjective concept: just how long it lasts. If you use something like NuFinish, and then garage your car at night, have short and easy commute, park it in a parking structure during the day, live in a mild climate, and keep it washed with a gentle detergent, then it probably will last a year. If you wax/polish your vehicle, never garage it, leave it out exposed to the environment all day and night, live in a harsh, windy environment, then it probably won't last 2 months without needing to be repolished. It's so subjective that I agree NuFinish overstating it's claim to say it's a "once a year polish", but hey, that's marketing... and if in the right conditions, it probably does. I know my 4Runner still had water beading on it and felt slippery to the touch after a year, but that's with garaging at night and parking in a parking structure during the day.

So, SW03ES, you seem to have some strong opions on the subject. You mind sharing what products work for you to keep a quick and easy clean shine all over your vehicle? BTW, I have used just plain ol' car wash soap on the wheels... it's a pain to get all the brake dust off the wheel because it doesn't fully solvate the grime, plus it leaves a nasty gunk on the wash rag because it leaves the washer smearing a lot of the dirty residue, rather than actually lifting it off and cleaing it... plus it always seems to leave a touch of a residue of brake dust on the wheel surface. With SG, it solvates all the grime, wipes down quick and easy, and sprays off clean.... can't ask for more than that.

One could spend hours going through and trying different approaches on detailing/cleaning/washing/waxing... I used to try everything from Xymol to clay-barring. All said and done, unless you've got problems with your paint, a good hand/mitt washing, regular waxing, and a few detailing tips will keep your ride looking top shape. Heck, you're going to be driving it out in the muck and debris of the environment and roadway soon after, so unless it's a show car, it's probably not worth the massive time and energy detailing it to the last spec.

Oh, another thing, if you've got cloudy/hazy headlight covers, basic $2/can rubbing compound works wonders.

Cool... thanks for the advise. I like having a nice ride & like my stuff to stay nice & clean - I'm just a bit up tight about that kind of thing. No one could believe my Cherokee was 11 years old because of the great shape it was in. Maybe it's a bit of a girl thing - but I don't want to spend allot of time cleaning my vehicle. My normal process was: automatic car wash, tire shine, glass wipes & vinyl wipes when needed & I used the sweeper every once in a while. That was it except for a thorough detailing ever few years by a local company. So, I'm needing something just as fast & easy, I just want to make sure I'm using the right kinds of products. Thanks again for your helpful responses!

Pour yourself a cold one :cheers: And get into some top shelf reading/suggestions. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=9 This will give you a real good feel on what YOU want to use.

PERFECTO!!! Just what I was looking for. Thanks from the newbie!

Rya, Nice avatar B)

What I'm saying is your car probably would also look just as good if you did nothing but wash it regularly. Just because it looks good doesn't mean NuFinish is providing that look. Like I said, proper detailing is more about the process than about the products used. If you prep the paint properly beforehand any final product will look great.

Something tangible? Fine. I owned a very successful detailing business for 4 years and have detailed cars for about 15. I've used DOZENS of products including NuFinish and found nothing redeemable or worth using about the product. There are worse products, but not many. When using a product its abrasive qualities are extremely apparent, and when you get imbedded dirt transfer or paint transfer on single stage paints with a product the product is full of solvents and abrasives, as NuFinish is. NuFinish is a cleaner wax, and I personally am not a fan of cleaner waxes in general, but NuFinish is probably my least favorite. Its also smeary, thick, stains trim, gets caught in chips and in striping and crevices. Its all around just a subpar product in my opinion.

There are distint differences between organic products (read: carnuaba waxes) and polymer products. If you want to use a polymer I would point you to Zaino or Klasse, if you want a polymer with some cleaning ability I'd point you to Klasse AIO or Meguiar's NXT. NuFinish is just not a quality product in my opinion. I personally don't like the look of polymer products on anything but the lightest metallics and white, so I use carnuaba despite the tradeoffs in longevity.

You are also right plenty of organic products have cleaners and solvents which is why I only use pure carnuaba paste wax, the lowest concentration of solvents you'll find.

NuFinish will not last a year under ANY circumstances short of total garaging. Its just not possible, there have been several studies and tests done and the longest lasting products crapped out at 5-6 months. Well maintained paint will ALWAYS bead, whether it has product on it or not. Don't buy into the marketing hype.

Mothers, Eagle One, I think you're selling yourself short by only using products you can find at Wal Mart. There are MUCH better products out there if you look, not any more expensive either. I've already shared the products I've used and I reccomend all over the detailing forum. Check em out. Like I said though, without the propert technique you're always going to be dissapointed in the results.

Rya, Nice avatar B)

Merci'! I didn't know she was going to shimmy so fast (she's normally a static image on my 'puter)!

Rya, Nice avatar B)

Merci'! I didn't know she was going to shimmy so fast (she's normally a static image on my 'puter)!

You should put a applicator in one hand and a microfiber towel in the other and let her detail your lexus, It would be done in no time :lol::lol::lol:

Wow, Rya... I think DCFish is on to something there with your Avitar... poor girl looks like she had a triple shot of espresso ;-)

Ah, okay, SW03ES... so I now I see your perspective (and know why you have 'detailaholic' under your avitar). With your 'being in the business', I can see your selectivity. What stood out in your last post was when you said "only using products you can find at WalMart"... I'm more of a Target customer, but still that got me thinking of what Rya initially posted about looking for the quick, easy, and best way to keep her ride looking clean and shiny. I'm pretty much in the same boat of needing to detail my vehicle with something that's readily available, easy, quick, long lasting, and at a decent price... pretty much I'm looking for the product with the best 'value' to me. That means effort in verses results out. I want my ride to look great, but also want the finish to be prepped where things like road grime, tree sap, pollen, bird poo, and fruit droppings (things grow like mad here in the PNW) all wipe off the finish quickly and easily without marring it. Nufinish has worked for me in the past, but if you suggest Zaino or Klasse, then I'll definitely check those out... thanks for the 'tangible' input :D

Oh, one last note... I did a quick check on reviews and comparisons of Zaino and NuFinish... interesting results. Seems Zaino is still a multistep process. Here's some user feedback on NuFinish: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...customerReviews ...looks like a lot of these reviewers are looking for similar results that I am.

The one note that stood out was this quote: "It is no Zaino shine, but it is less than 1/10 of the Zaino System price. It also outlasts the Zaino (and any other wax I know)."

Everyone has an opinion, huh?

Even Target, really ANY retail store. Retail products are designed to deliver decent results by consumers who want ease more than anything else and have limited detailing skills and tools.

If you want good one step results out of a product you can buy in a store my suggestion would be Meguiar's NXT. It has cleaners but not a whole lot, and its easier to buff and much friendlier to trim than NuFinish. Really and truly ANY product is going to offer you about the same protection from road grime and bird droppings etc, the differences are how long those protections last.

I don't care for Zaino, but its not as multi-step a process as it used to be. However, on the whole you're going to get much better results with a multistep approach than with a one step.

The Amazon reviews aren't going to tell you anything either, look for reviews on detaling sites like Autopia or DetailCity.

Rya, Nice avatar B)

You should put a applicator in one hand and a microfiber towel in the other and let her detail your lexus, It would be done in no time :lol::lol::lol:

Hehehehe! Now you're talking.... find someone else to do the dirty work for me! As soon as I have time to get a pic. of my new RX, I'll switch my avatar to that instead of the warp speed dancer! :lol:

Rya, Nice avatar B)

Hehehehe! Now you're talking.... find someone else to do the dirty work for me! As soon as I have time to get a pic. of my new RX, I'll switch my avatar to that instead of the warp speed dancer! :lol:

Rya, Keep the dancer and put the RX pic in your signature. :cheers:

Rya, Nice avatar B)

Rya, Keep the dancer and put the RX pic in your signature.:cheers:

I put in a new dancer - non-moving. Better?

Rya, Nice avatar B)

Bring out the dancer on weekends :cheers:

Rya, Nice avatar B)

Bring out the dancer on weekends :cheers:

I have to pur her away during the week? Eeeek! We've taken the detailing discussion to an avatar discussion.... focus boys, focus!! Must.... think... preety... shiney....cars...