Keep It Clean!

Rya

She can come out whenever she wants. Have you read any of the detailing forum ? What have you come up with ?

To start with, ask a simplier question next time. I'm a bit, um, overwhelmed by all of the great responses (Thanks to everyone for your input! I really appreciate the time you've taken to help me out).

All kidding aside, I think I'm going to let my hubby deal with the waxing/polishing part. He wants to buy a $150 waxing kit for his Audi S4 & it's just the cleaning stuff - he already has the buffer. I did find that plain water is working well on the wood & glass wipes are working well on the glass. I think I'm going to have summer & winter floor mats. I love my new light gray mats, but they'll never stay looking like new with all of the crappy N.E. Ohio weather, so I'll get some cheepo's for winter (I might be able to get some Nifty mats through connections from my past life in the aftermarket accessories world). We do have Maguires tire shine which is working ok but it's not as shiney as I'd like my tires to be, so I might try something different next time. I used a wet paper towel to clean up the wheels after going throught the automatic car wash - I can hear you all gasping now. Sorry, but there is no way I'll have time to hand wash this thing.

Any suggestions on what to use on the dash & gauge faces? Any suggestions for getting scuffs off of the buttons (red nail polish scuff from the prevoius owner on the radio on/off button)? There are also several blue scuffs on the leather flat part of the steering whee, any suggestions?

Thanks! R~

She can come out whenever she wants. Have you read any of the detailing forum ? What have you come up with ?

To start with, ask a simplier question next time. I'm a bit, um, overwhelmed by all of the great responses (Thanks to everyone for your input! I really appreciate the time you've taken to help me out).

All kidding aside, I think I'm going to let my hubby deal with the waxing/polishing part. He wants to buy a $150 waxing kit for his Audi S4 & it's just the cleaning stuff - he already has the buffer. I did find that plain water is working well on the wood & glass wipes are working well on the glass. I think I'm going to have summer & winter floor mats. I love my new light gray mats, but they'll never stay looking like new with all of the crappy N.E. Ohio weather, so I'll get some cheepo's for winter (I might be able to get some Nifty mats through connections from my past life in the aftermarket accessories world). We do have Maguires tire shine which is working ok but it's not as shiney as I'd like my tires to be, so I might try something different next time. I used a wet paper towel to clean up the wheels after going throught the automatic car wash - I can hear you all gasping now. Sorry, but there is no way I'll have time to hand wash this thing.

Any suggestions on what to use on the dash & gauge faces? Any suggestions for getting scuffs off of the buttons (red nail polish scuff from the prevoius owner on the radio on/off button)? There are also several blue scuffs on the leather flat part of the steering whee, any suggestions?

Thanks! R~

Ooops - steering wheel - not the wee. And, yes I did look at the detailing forum - that is where I found the info on the wood trim & glass. I would have gone there to begin with had I known it existed, but I think my post opend up a good discussion & you all really have good advise. :)

If you're going to go the automatic carwash route I'd suggest you find a good professional detailer to hand wash the car on a weekly basis. I do use an automatic carwash for the Prius (I know, shocking but I just don't have time to wash them both every week) but its a metallic green that really hides any marring, the breakwater blue is that way too. The issues you run into with the automatic carwash however are extremely harsh chemicals that dry out seals, stain plastic trim, and eat away at the wheel coatings, and overzealous attendants who use dirty towels to dry and bang around with vacuum hoses etc. Over time you absolutely will see degredation in these areas that you wouldn't otherwise see in a vehicle that has always been hand washed. You also have a major marring problem in most carwashes, the one I use for the Prius is very high end (and very expensive, a wash is nearly $30) so its not as much of a problem, but in almost all carwashes it is. Now you won't see this marring on yours as readily because of the color, but it will absolutely dull the appearance of the paint over time.

In all honesty, it won't cost you much to have a professional wash it and they'll come to your home or office, $25-30 a wash and most of them have monthly maintenance plans. Thats a much better route than the car wash.

Just as a reference, we took our RX to Cannon Beach and up the Oregon Coast this weekend on a day trip (with a stop for some good beer and grub at Bill's Tavern in CB)... afterwards it was covered in road spray (from the occassional shower or two on the road), a bazillion dead bugs, and who knows what else. So, here it is Monday evening and the weather reports is for blue skies and warm temps for the rest of the week, so I wanted to clean the RX for the week. Here's the end result after a quickie 45 minute wash job... Simple Geen on the wheels/tires, a quick scrubbing of the tires, a wipe down of the wheels and a good rinse. Then a fast mitt-wash using a good car wash/wax soap. BTW, always wash a vehicle from the top downward, as the dirt will run down and away from the cleaned surfaces. After a quick once over with a water blade, a wipe down with a shammy, and few shots of Tire Wet on the tires, and it's ready for the week. Not to bad for a 45 minute detail....

post-34901-1180408405_thumb.jpg

Now, don't take this personally, but even in that picture I can see areas in the paint that can stand improvement. I see some dullness and marring near the headlamp and front bumper and overall the paint seems to lack depth to me. I think that probably comes from using a product like NuFinish that has abrasive properties to it as a finishing product. Lexus black of that era is single stage and VERY soft. It responds beautifully to polishing, even hand polishing but it marrs and dulls VERY quickly. You also may be encountering issues with the water blade and the chamois. Try a waffle weave microfiber towl for drying and a leaf blower beforehand, you'll get similar results and it will be MUCH less harsh on the paint. Chamois and water blades leave no protection against marring. I'd also hit the headlights with a round of plastic polish by machine to clear them up.

I really think that you would be impressed if you tried some of the products and techniques we talk about in the detailing forum. I had the same response to a picture mburnickas posted some time ago, and now that he's tried what I told him to try his car looks a LOT better.

Just as a reference, we took our RX to Cannon Beach and up the Oregon Coast this weekend on a day trip (with a stop for some good beer and grub at Bill's Tavern in CB)... afterwards it was covered in road spray (from the occassional shower or two on the road), a bazillion dead bugs, and who knows what else. So, here it is Monday evening and the weather reports is for blue skies and warm temps for the rest of the week, so I wanted to clean the RX for the week. Here's the end result after a quickie 45 minute wash job... Simple Geen on the wheels/tires, a quick scrubbing of the tires, a wipe down of the wheels and a good rinse. Then a fast mitt-wash using a good car wash/wax soap. BTW, always wash a vehicle from the top downward, as the dirt will run down and away from the cleaned surfaces. After a quick once over with a water blade, a wipe down with a shammy, and few shots of Tire Wet on the tires, and it's ready for the week. Not to bad for a 45 minute detail....

Cannon Beach.... no way! I vaccation in the Cannon Beach/Seaside/Gearhart area every summer! It's quite a haul from NE Ohio - 5 hour flights then 2 hour drive, but worth every second. Cool coincidence! Well, maybe I could do 45 minutes. I'll see what I can squeeze in. Thanks for the quickie break down.

Oh, not taken personally at all. You're right, this RX I have can use a little work on the paint. I've only had it for a little under a month, so if any NuFinish was used on it, it wasn't by my hand. It does have a few marring spots on it and is in need of a true polish before it gets to a level that is just a mainenance level. I'll definitely try your suggestions; thanks for the input. Maybe I'll try Meguiar's NXT as a first crack at this vehicle's finish.

I don't know if I'll go as far as to pull out the leaf blower... I mean, good idea, but I can see my neighbors looking at me from their porch with a beer in their hand saying, "Look at that poor boy... he's gone dun plum crazy!!! He's be thinkin' his car is a giant leaf!! Watch, he'll try to rake it next!!" :P

Wow, Rya, small world! Excellent choice of vacation spots!! Yeah, Cannon Beach is a bit of a haul from Ohio, but ahhhhh... well worth the travels!! Over the weekend we caught the sea at low tide, so we went down to Hug Point and checked out the tide pools looking for starfish and sea anename. Later, after getting something to eat, we had to make a stop at Bruce's Candy Kitchen before heading up to Seaside and Astoria (Astoria has an amazing maritime museum if you ever make it up there). We got a fresh carmel apple at Bruce's and my wife was in heaven... she talked about that caramel apple for the rest of the trip :rolleyes: So, it sounds like the next time you guys make it to the Oregon Coast for a vacation, checking out the caramel apples is a must ;)

Oh, not taken personally at all. You're right, this RX I have can use a little work on the paint. I've only had it for a little under a month, so if any NuFinish was used on it, it wasn't by my hand. It does have a few marring spots on it and is in need of a true polish before it gets to a level that is just a mainenance level. I'll definitely try your suggestions; thanks for the input. Maybe I'll try Meguiar's NXT as a first crack at this vehicle's finish.

I don't know if I'll go as far as to pull out the leaf blower... I mean, good idea, but I can see my neighbors looking at me from their porch with a beer in their hand saying, "Look at that poor boy... he's gone dun plum crazy!!! He's be thinkin' his car is a giant leaf!! Watch, he'll try to rake it next!!" :P

Wow, Rya, small world! Excellent choice of vacation spots!! Yeah, Cannon Beach is a bit of a haul from Ohio, but ahhhhh... well worth the travels!! Over the weekend we caught the sea at low tide, so we went down to Hug Point and checked out the tide pools looking for starfish and sea anename. Later, after getting something to eat, we had to make a stop at Bruce's Candy Kitchen before heading up to Seaside and Astoria (Astoria has an amazing maritime museum if you ever make it up there). We got a fresh carmel apple at Bruce's and my wife was in heaven... she talked about that caramel apple for the rest of the trip :rolleyes: So, it sounds like the next time you guys make it to the Oregon Coast for a vacation, checking out the caramel apples is a must ;)

My Grandfather was the President of the Board for the CRM museum for 2 terms, I've been there many times. Actually, he raised a few $$ for the renovations that the museum underwent a few years ago. I love Astoria. We usually get the crazy apples from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory either in Seaside or at the outlet mall in Gearhart. Between the Fresh Bay Shrimp which we can't get in Ohio, clam chowder & chocolate, we don't eat much else while we're there. We always stop at Morris' Fireside in Cannon Beach - it's my husbands favorite chowder! Glad I'm going to be there in July - I miss it! Thanks for the memories!

Now, don't take this personally, but even in that picture I can see areas in the paint that can stand improvement. I see some dullness and marring near the headlamp and front bumper and overall the paint seems to lack depth to me. I think that probably comes from using a product like NuFinish that has abrasive properties to it as a finishing product. Lexus black of that era is single stage and VERY soft. It responds beautifully to polishing, even hand polishing but it marrs and dulls VERY quickly. You also may be encountering issues with the water blade and the chamois. Try a waffle weave microfiber towl for drying and a leaf blower beforehand, you'll get similar results and it will be MUCH less harsh on the paint. Chamois and water blades leave no protection against marring. I'd also hit the headlights with a round of plastic polish by machine to clear them up.

I really think that you would be impressed if you tried some of the products and techniques we talk about in the detailing forum. I had the same response to a picture mburnickas posted some time ago, and now that he's tried what I told him to try his car looks a LOT better.

Great ideas, I'll give them a gry (or bribe my hubby to try!). I can see him outside now aiming the leaf blower at the car... cool suggestion!

My Grandfather was the President of the Board for the CRM museum for 2 terms, I've been there many times. Actually, he raised a few $$ for the renovations that the museum underwent a few years ago. I love Astoria. We usually get the crazy apples from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory either in Seaside or at the outlet mall in Gearhart. Between the Fresh Bay Shrimp which we can't get in Ohio, clam chowder & chocolate, we don't eat much else while we're there. We always stop at Morris' Fireside in Cannon Beach - it's my husbands favorite chowder! Glad I'm going to be there in July - I miss it! Thanks for the memories!

From washing the lex to avatars and now were on vacation !!! HHMMMMMMM.....................

From washing the lex to avatars and now were on vacation !!! HHMMMMMMM.....................

OMG you're right!! Jeez, see you guys let a girl in & I'm talking about everything but why you're here in the first place. I'll shoosh now.... :cries:

People do look at you a little strange with the leaf blower, but it works great so who cares LOL. Esecially helpful when getting water out of door jambs and behind crevaces etc.

People do look at you a little strange with the leaf blower, but it works great so who cares LOL. Esecially helpful when getting water out of door jambs and behind crevaces etc.

Absolutely... it's a genious idea! You know, you could probably invent some sort of at home "vehicle dryer" & sell millions of 'em on TV like the Flo-Bee or the Shwala!

I don't know... I mean, c'mon, Rya, how many times have you used your Flo-Bee since you bought it?? :P :lol:

The concern isn't the people who use or don't use your invention..... the point is selling millions, making millions, then running like crazy b-4 people discover your product is a waste & the new sales disappear. Late night infomercials could use a good car product, so could Spike TV during all of the car shows on the weekend. Heheheheheheh! :D

Ahhh... so true, especially in the health/diet/exercise industry. I wonder how many people have Tony Little Gazelle's buried in the back of their garages. :huh: Spike TV, eh? ;) Now there's a little quality viewing :D

Ahhh... so true, especially in the health/diet/exercise industry. I wonder how many people have Tony Little Gazelle's buried in the back of their garages. :huh: Spike TV, eh? ;) Now there's a little quality viewing :D

I loooove Tony Little.... ok, I don't have any of his stuff. But... well I'll keep those thoughts to myself.

Anywhoo. the point is people are suckers (ooops - I mean consumers) & I think the leaf blower turned car dryer concept might actually work. C'mon, at 3 in the morning, how many stations are playing some form of "Girls Gone Wild"? Target audience: guys. Car dryer target audience: guys. Ohhhhh, how about a "Girls Gone Wild" infomercial with the girls using the car dryer??? Or go the classy route & sell them in Brooks Brothers or Sharper Image, target customer: the guy who has everything or the guys with $100k cars that cannot have anything touch the surface of their vehicle except for a gentle breeze. He'll sell MILLIONS!

Spike's ok - lots of yummy James Bond movies, CSI & tanned muscley guys. But then they go and beat each other up & the good looking factor goes right out the window! :chairshot:

I loooove Tony Little.... ok, I don't have any of his stuff. But... well I'll keep those thoughts to myself.

Anywhoo. the point is people are suckers (ooops - I mean consumers) & I think the leaf blower turned car dryer concept might actually work. C'mon, at 3 in the morning, how many stations are playing some form of "Girls Gone Wild"? Target audience: guys. Car dryer target audience: guys. Ohhhhh, how about a "Girls Gone Wild" infomercial with the girls using the car dryer??? Or go the classy route & sell them in Brooks Brothers or Sharper Image, target customer: the guy who has everything or the guys with $100k cars that cannot have anything touch the surface of their vehicle except for a gentle breeze. He'll sell MILLIONS!

Spike's ok - lots of yummy James Bond movies, CSI & tanned muscley guys. But then they go and beat each other up & the good looking factor goes right out the window! :chairshot:

crap, I meant Brookstone..... you know what I meant :blushing: