Cvt In A Lexus ?

dcfish

Lexus already uses CVTs in their hybrids, RX400h, GS450h and now the LS600hl. I dont think they will add it to the rest of the cars until it is more mainstream, i think Nissan/honda is really the only brands that kinda use them.

People are already saying that lexus doesnt have that sporty nature. Not having gears makes it even less "sporty" because it takes away from the feel

Lexus already uses CVTs in their hybrids, RX400h, GS450h and now the LS600hl. I dont think they will add it to the rest of the cars until it is more mainstream, i think Nissan/honda is really the only brands that kinda use them.

People are already saying that lexus doesnt have that sporty nature. Not having gears makes it even less "sporty" because it takes away from the feel

I did not know that the hybrids used CVT. Educational forum this is..............Although, I was thinking mainstream when posting.

I did not know that the hybrids used CVT. Educational forum this is..............Although, I was thinking mainstream when posting.

Interesting history of the CVT and other concepts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_...le_transmission

Jeeze, I hope not. I drove one of those Subaru Justy's some years ago. (I think they were the first to use a CVT in production, weren't they?) It sucked. 'course that car would've sucked with ANY transmission, but I didn't like the overall effect. Felt too "dead".

Jeeze, I hope not. I drove one of those Subaru Justy's some years ago. (I think they were the first to use a CVT in production, weren't they?) It sucked. 'course that car would've sucked with ANY transmission, but I didn't like the overall effect. Felt too "dead".

Does the CVT have that turbo effect when accelerating from a dead stop ?

Don't know if "turbo effect" is quite how to describe driving a Justy :wacko: , but yeah, it was kind of a slushy start, then a gradual build up of acceleration. Hard to describe. Reminded me of the old mini-bikes we used to ride as kids back in the 70's with the centrifugal clutches. :unsure: Maybe the technology has gotten better with the CVT systems since the Justy, but I can't imagine the driving experience being very exciting. I LIKE the feel of a trannie going thru gears, even if it's smooth and subtle.

Don't know if "turbo effect" is quite how to describe driving a Justy :wacko: , but yeah, it was kind of a slushy start, then a gradual build up of acceleration. Hard to describe. Reminded me of the old mini-bikes we used to ride as kids back in the 70's with the centrifugal clutches. :unsure: Maybe the technology has gotten better with the CVT systems since the Justy, but I can't imagine the driving experience being very exciting. I LIKE the feel of a trannie going thru gears, even if it's smooth and subtle.

I have a 2006 Rx400h with 31K miles with a CVT as well as a 2007 GS 350 with a 6 speed tranny. The CVT is very smooth with even power without the lapses or surges of a regular tranny. I would be better to compare two RXs but I love the 400h smoothness and power. I still get 26-28 mpg with spirited driving on the Rx. I get only 20-21 mpg on the GS.

Interesting. Maybe it WOULD be a better experience in a vehicle that actually has some horsepower and comfort. I'll hafta take a test drive someday.

Interesting, I wonder how a CVT would be in a new LS ? Smooth and Powerful.

Personally, I dont care for the CVT. The Prius has one and I've driven the RX400h and the GS450h and the CVT kind of holds the engine at a higher RPM than the standard transmissions would, making it sound kind of drone-y when accelerating and cruising on the highway.

Drive an LS600hL and see ;)

Ah Yes :rolleyes: , Will do. Maybe tues. morn. B)

If ya do, report back. Would be interested to get a range of opinions.

Will do :cheers:

I have the RX 400H and it did seem odd at first driving a car that never shifted but the whole idea is brilliant. Every engine has a certain RPM range where its the most efficient and powerful. With a regular trans the tac jumps all over the place but with the CVT the engine is always turning at it's best most powerful / economical RMP range

Drive an LS600hL and see ;)

Ah Yes :rolleyes: , Will do. Maybe tues. morn. B)

If ya do, report back. Would be interested to get a range of opinions.

Will do :cheers:

And the verdict is..............

Haven't taken the time :chairshot: The wif has an extensive "Honey Do" list. I'll get to the dealer next week. ;)

Power comes from an all-new 5.0-liter V8 gasoline engine, large high-output electric motors and a newly designed large-capacity battery pack. It's then routed through a new dual-stage electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (CVT) and an all-wheel-drive system. "With 430 horsepower," says Bob Carter, Lexus group vice president and general manager, "the LS 600h L's V8 performance is on par with a 12-cylinder engine, yet its fuel economy rivals best-in-class V8s, and it's expected to receive a Super Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) rating as well.